WhatsApp users are flocking to Telegram

newby_investor

Expert Member
I mean wouldn't it be great, if you on whatsapp, could message me on telegram,
while speaking to a colleague using viber and another on Line.

one standard, to rule them all, and you can use whatever you want to connect.
again, like SMTP or POP was for email.

I see what you mean. And in principle, I agree with you. But I just don't see a practical way to make that work. Each of these things have subtle differences which make proper interoperability impossible.

Plus the owners of the respective services likely won't want to work together.

Human greed is a thing.

somebody will throw money at them, and "own" telegram
Maybe, maybe not. I hope not. I think that Telegram's owners won't sell out. I wouldn't bet my life on it though.

Gerry

Woman on Jacaranda FM this morning slated Telegram this morning because of the "people nearby" feature and recommend that people rather stick with WhatsApp. Also said that messages are not end to end encrypted. At least she did mention the secret chat feature. What she did not mention is that Telegram dont do end to end encryption by default is because your chats gets synced accross all your devices and gives you unlimited cloud storage etc.

Her end statement was "stick with the devil you know"

Urg

'woman on jacaranda' - :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Danie_V

Oh and in many countries of the world telegram has now agreed to provide the governments with your chat records to fight well anything that you shouldnt be saying.....
What source are you quoting from and which countries? Why would Telegram endure a 2-year ban from Russia and have to jump around avoiding dong such a thing, only now to just hand data over?

newby_investor

Expert Member
What source are you quoting from and which countries? Why would Telegram endure a 2-year ban from Russia and have to jump around avoiding dong such a thing, only now to just hand data over?
So if I understand correctly, after unbanning Telegram, the Russian government says something to the effect that they've agreed to cooperate. I'm not sure that I believe them, they may have just given up, because the ban was easy enough to circumvent.

I haven't seen a statement from Telegram on the topic but I didn't look very hard.

Danie_V

So if I understand correctly, after unbanning Telegram, the Russian government says something to the effect that they've agreed to cooperate. I'm not sure that I believe them, they may have just given up, because the ban was easy enough to circumvent.

I haven't seen a statement from Telegram on the topic but I didn't look very hard.
The government gave up as Telegram has obscured themselves behind masses of other services at Amazon at the time, and "banning" them was starting to cut off lots of other online services. Telegram was using proxies and it was a hide-and-seek game to ban them. What amazed me at that time was, why was WhatsApp never banned...

newby_investor

Expert Member
The government gave up as Telegram has obscured themselves behind masses of other services at Amazon at the time, and "banning" them was starting to cut off lots of other online services. Telegram was using proxies and it was a hide-and-seek game to ban them. What amazed me at that time was, why was WhatsApp never banned...
I'm not sure that it's really easily available. Or perhaps not popular. My brother-in-law lives in Russia and it was only when visiting with his family that my wife convinced him to get WhatsApp in the first place.

Viber is the dominant platform there.

Nereus77

I've been on Telegram for around 5 years now and for ages it was just myself, my wife and my brother and his wife that used it.

Only now with this FB crap has the rest of the family decided to join us :ROFL: