When to be forthcoming about criminal record

rh1

Expert Member
Reason why I asked was purely for the hypocritical angle. In the threads where a crime is committed, most showing you support here would wish death upon criminals. Me included. So it would be interesting how your support would change if people knew why you were incarcerated. Frankly I just like pointing out hypocrisies.
This, I will be honest, if I (note I am not currently in such a position) should choose between 2 people to give an opportunity, 1 with a criminal record and 1 without but who perservered through tough circumstances and need a break. I would choose the latter.

At OP, unfortunately, choices have consequences, and some people in society (me included) will still have a negative view. And this is one of them.
However, it depends on the crime. For e.g. if OP is a convicted "pedophile". How many of you would help him or even try to assist?

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
This, I will be honest, if I (note I am not currently in such a position) should choose between 2 people to give an opportunity, 1 with a criminal record and 1 without but who perservered through tough circumstances and need a break. I would choose the latter.

At OP, unfortunately, choices have consequences, and some people in society (me included) will still have a negative view. And this is one of them.
However, it depends on the crime. For e.g. if OP is a convicted "pedophile". How many of you would help him or even try to assist?

read the thread

Convict

So I had a very long talk with the recruitment agent, explaining to me the steps of how the interviews will go etc. I was told that I will have to undergo a polygraph test after passing the last interview. So I'm assuming that a clear criminal record is going to be required. So my initial idea was to tell them at the first interview about my criminal record etc, but it seems that it might be a requirement to have a clean one to start with. So I just sent her an email telling her at least about my criminal record, since I do not want her to waste her time in getting me to the interview only to get stopped right there due to my record. So this one seems to not come to anything, and I was really hoping to get feedback on the assessment, since I have never really had anyone, look at my code and give me feedback on it.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
So I had a very long talk with the recruitment agent, explaining to me the steps of how the interviews will go etc. I was told that I will have to undergo a polygraph test after passing the last interview. So I'm assuming that a clear criminal record is going to be required. So my initial idea was to tell them at the first interview about my criminal record etc, but it seems that it might be a requirement to have a clean one to start with. So I just sent her an email telling her at least about my criminal record, since I do not want her to waste her time in getting me to the interview only to get stopped right there due to my record. So this one seems to not come to anything, and I was really hoping to get feedback on the assessment, since I have never really had anyone, look at my code and give me feedback on it.

A polygraph?!?!?!
Dafaq?

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Usually the last step in the process, meaning you made it past the others.
Interview
Psychometric
Technical
Is that how it works nowadays? :unsure:

I've only gone to the interview then a few days later got my answerr.

Psychometric testing for a developer seems like pushing it a bit. What about false positives/negatives.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Usually the last step in the process, meaning you made it past the others.
Interview
Psychometric
Technical

While I think that 3 or 4 steps for a dev is a bit silly, I accept that that is the way things are done.

Psychometric, sure.
Technical, necessary.

A polygraph though? For a normal, non-government or defense industry job?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
There are certain positions you wouldnt be able to work in, like managed services due to client background checks and security requirements.
That shouldnt be as much of an issue with other companies though as long as financial systems arent involved.
Im sure its not something you want to discuss, but as long as the convictions werent close to the industry you want to work in(fraud etc) then some companies might be ok with it.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Is that how it works nowadays? :unsure:

I've only gone to the interview then a few days later got my answerr.

Psychometric testing for a developer seems like pushing it a bit. What about false positives/negatives.
Depends on the job, technical being an actual technical assessment not a MCQ.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Depends on the job, technical being an actual technical assessment not a MCQ.
I started out as a developer in 2004. They flew me to the interview and flew me back (they wanted to book me a hotel to stay over the night, but I declined_)

A couple of weeks later, they called me to ask when I could start. My other jobs I got headhunted for based on recommendations from former colleagues.

At all jobs they requested my permission to do a criminal and credit check only AFTER I already started. Maybe my situation is an edge case, it's just I find it concerning that our society has degenerated so much that prospective employers have to check if you're lying, but with so many of our leaders lying on their CV's, it's hardly surprising.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
I started out as a developer in 2004. They flew me to the interview and flew me back (they wanted to book me a hotel to stay over the night, but I declined_)

A couple of weeks later, they called me to ask when I could start. My other jobs I got headhunted for based on recommendations from former colleagues.

At all jobs they requested my permission to do a criminal and credit check only AFTER I already started. Maybe my situation is an edge case, it's just I find it concerning that our society has degenerated so much that prospective employers have to check if you're lying, but with so many of our leaders lying on their CV's, it's hardly surprising.
It’s really not the norm, these jobs tend deal with sensitive info and they compensate for that.
I’d guess polygraphs aren’t cheap hence it’s normally done last, it’s not about what you said on your CV, the questions are about how much of a risky lifestyle you have.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Regardless of the outcome. you are entitled to the feedback, ask for it nicely.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Well after telling the recruiter for what I was in prison, she informed me that the crimes is just too hectic, she will never be able to assist me.
That's OK, it's quite understandable. From the polygraph testing, it sounded like a role requiring a high degree of trust. Reputation is an important, but not absolute, indicator of the propensity to default, so you cannot blame them, especially not the junior boxtickers in HR.

Regardless of the fact that you may perceive it to be a setback, you should not be discouraged, see it in a positive light. You actually had an opportunity, and this means that your skills are in demand, and there may possibly be many more.
You have tried, and they have rejected you on the basis of past behavior. Nothing unreasonable about that.
If you have taken the trouble to complete the assessment, ask them if they have assessed it yet, and if so, whether they would consider releasing the results. If they have assessed it, and decline, tell them tat you wish to apply for it in terms of the PAI Act. No matter the crime that you did, they should be able to withhold ld the results. Use this as a stepping stome in the right directio

Convict

Thanks for the advice, I will contact them and see if I can get the feedback on the assessment.

I, 100% understand where the recruiter comes from, and I do understand that my past will be too bad for most people. It is also much harder as all they see is my CV, my past standing out. Every single person I have met, and found out about my past afterwards always could not believe it, just in this situation no recruiter or prospective employer is going to get to know me before employing me, so I understand them judging me on what they see before them.

I must admit that I do feel a bit discouraged, but I will just try again and again, eventually, I hope, things will work out. Giving up is not an option nor the type of person I am.

syntax

Executive Member
Would be surprised they do a polygraph before a criminal record check.
The CRC is fast and cheap

FaSMaN

Expert Member
I would recommend the following:

1. Register a IT Company
2. Create a website offering services you are comfortable doing.
3. Add a consultancy services or contract work to the website
4. Advertise on facebook , Fiver, and several other places

This will allow you to not only add a whole lot more experience to your CV but to make money while doing it, without having to disclose your criminal record, it will either end in a successful business, or you can use it till you find your dream job.