When to be forthcoming about criminal record

netstrider

Expert Member
Enlightening thread!

Kudos for turning things around.

If you have the means, perhaps you could propose working a month at no charge after telling the truth.

I don't even know if that is a realistic possibility with any company either.

Other than that and freelance online for the time being I have no reference or advice.

You went to prison and you came out alive? That's impressive. Good luck though, I have no advice to give.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
You went to prison and you came out alive? That's impressive. Good luck though, I have no advice to give.
Like all your posts seem to be.
Baseless, irrelevant spam with a kak username.

Convict

I do not know if you are joking or if you are serious, but prison is not as hectic as you see on tv, well not in Gauteng prisons anyway. Lots of myths pertaining prison, but this post is not meant for that.

gcs001

Well done for turning your life around.
But, if we're being honest here, if I had your CV and another person's CV with similar IT experience/qualifications with no criminal record I'm afraid you won't even be called for an interview.
Sorry for the "bad news", but that is the way things are.
My suggestion would be to try and get a 5+ years experience where you are and then try to start your own consulting IT company where you basically contract your skills out and nobody asks too many questions about criminal history (unless you go through a broking firm).

Convict

Well done for turning your life around.
But, if we're being honest here, if I had your CV and another person's CV with similar IT experience/qualifications with no criminal record I'm afraid you won't even be called for an interview.
Sorry for the "bad news", but that is the way things are.
My suggestion would be to try and get a 5+ years experience where you are and then try to start your own consulting IT company where you basically contract your skills out and nobody asks too many questions about criminal history (unless you go through a broking firm).
I agree with you, if there is 2 people applying for a job, and one has a criminal record, it is 100% understandable that the other guy should get the job. That is just the logical thing to do. So yes it won't be easy, but giving up is not an option, so all that I can try, is apply and apply, be open about the situation and see what happens.

John Tempus

Executive Member
I think it really depends on your actual criminal history.

You will find that if you have the qualifications and your actual criminal history that landed you in prison is not associated with some extreme criminal crap then many potential employers would take that into consideration.

Case in point: I know of friends who did time in prison for either drug possession or selling and some of them landed 5+ years in prison. When they got out eventually they did find a corporate job mainly due to the circumstance of their actual criminal charge.

On the other hand if you were in for assault or attempted murder etc. then I suspect once you make that known to any employer unfortunately it would be their duty to protect other employers and not give you the job.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
I think it really depends on your actual criminal history.

You will find that if you have the qualifications and your actual criminal history that landed you in prison is not associated with some extreme criminal crap then many potential employers would take that into consideration.

Case in point: I know of friends who did time in prison for either drug possession or selling and some of them landed 5+ years in prison. When they got out eventually they did find a corporate job mainly due to the circumstance of their actual criminal charge.

On the other hand if you were in for assault or attempted murder etc. then I suspect once you make that known to any employer unfortunately it would be their duty to protect other employers and not give you the job.

did you bother to read the thread?