Where have all the cpu coolers gone??

Splitcore

Hi guys!
I am running an AMD setup but my cpu reaches temps up to 70 'C under some load... (Not overclocked or unlocked, was like this out of the box). So now I want to get a cpu cooler other than the stock AMD fan... However all the charts I look at and reviews I find of good value for money coolers I never seems to find the cooler available anywhere in South Africa!! I was thinking of getting a Noctua NH D15/14, maybe a be quiet! Dark Rock Pro, Deepcool Gamer STorm Assassin but none of these are available anywhere! And the one place where they are listed, the people tell me that not even their suppliers can give them an ETA... I considered closed loop coolers but they are quite expensive and the difference in temp they get compared to the above mentioned coolers they just ain't worth it...

So if someone could either refer me to a reputable website or store that does sell these or perhaps suggest a better more commonly available cpu cooler that performs in the same class I'd be most grateful...

Kind Regards

Nevar

I have the CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i close loop water cooler on my i5-4670k running it at 4ghz for a year and a half or so now and under load it just touches 50c I have a big case with lots of fans as well thou.Closed water system is really the way to go.Running it stock temps are 28c on idle and about 38c underload load .

N

Splitcore

Greetings agentrfr and Nevar

I looked at all the corsair water cooling solutions. And although they are available at a few places the price still remains an issue... The air coolers I mentioned actually come close to like the corsair h105 at half the cost and less noise... I have a AMD FX 8350 Piledriver 4GHz... It has the stock thermal paste also... So what thermal paste should I get?

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
South Africa's hardware market is small relative to other countries, which is why we never really get much of the really good stuff. There are good options though...

Raijintek Ereboss Black Edition @ R699

Cooler Master Hyper 612 @ R758

Everything else is just much more expensive than it should be. Getting a better result from a water cooling unit, like the H60, is not possible when the Cooler Master Hyper 212X is available for nearly R650.

Splitcore

Hey Cataclysm thanks for the response...
I did concider the
Raijintek Tisis Black Edition @ R999
But not sure how it would compare to the DeepCool ASSASIN @ R809.... OUT OF STOCK Obviously with no ETA... The nice thing with the Assassin is that I could add an additional fan as well which would even further improve cooling performance...

Edit: Regarding the Hyper 212X... It doesn't really impress much when I look at it.. .Is it really that great? =/

Last edited:

Splitcore

You should Google more.

Anandtech Top-tier Cooler Roundup

Features results and analysis of the Tisis and the Assassin, among others.

I have looked at these exact results already, other results I've found put the Assassin above the Tisis... Forgive me for not wanting to go dig through my browsing history to find them again... I guess there are many variables at play that cause the results to differ... Could be different fans used or whatever the case may be...

The Raijintek Tisis Black Edition is a definite option though... Sorry for neglecting to include it in the 1st post. At least this one seems to be in stock!

Zyraz

Expert Member
Thanks Zyraz! Is it better if I remove the stock thermal paste from a new cpu cooler to apply this one instead?

I would .
Tip: you dont have to use a lot of thermal paste and make sure the fan sits flush with CPU . If the heatsync (with thermal paste) does not sit snug and flush , you will not experience optimal temperature lowering.

ponder

Honorary Master
Yeah cooler wise there is not much to pick from in SA.

Esquire

Esquire representative
Hi guys!
I am running an AMD setup but my cpu reaches temps up to 70 'C under some load... (Not overclocked or unlocked, was like this out of the box). So now I want to get a cpu cooler other than the stock AMD fan... However all the charts I look at and reviews I find of good value for money coolers I never seems to find the cooler available anywhere in South Africa!! I was thinking of getting a Noctua NH D15/14, maybe a be quiet! Dark Rock Pro, Deepcool Gamer STorm Assassin but none of these are available anywhere! And the one place where they are listed, the people tell me that not even their suppliers can give them an ETA... I considered closed loop coolers but they are quite expensive and the difference in temp they get compared to the above mentioned coolers they just ain't worth it...

So if someone could either refer me to a reputable website or store that does sell these or perhaps suggest a better more commonly available cpu cooler that performs in the same class I'd be most grateful...

Kind Regards

Check out the Arctic Coolers we have in stock , you might find one there

Note: We clearing out this stock at the old Exchange rate of R 9.50 / USD$1 as we are bringing in a new brand of coolers this year - ( I cannot reveal which one as we currently on a Non Disclosure Agreement until the stock arrives in South Africa)

http://www.esquire-shop.co.za/FindBrand.aspx?ID=910&Brand=Arctic&Logo

crysis

Expert Member
Closed loop is a waste of money. Just get a hyper 212 and be done with out. Closed loop doesn't offer much better performance, if at all. The downsides also include higher cost, complexity, life of the motors, and risk of puncture (which is not likely, but possible, as I've seen it happen before).

The law of diminishing returns, if you are going to go water, the only point is to go full custom and overclock the **** out of your cpu. Otherwise air is way better.

Splitcore

Good Advice crysis trhanks, I'm probably going to get the Hyper 212 for my other pc! Because of my nearly limitless options *tiny hint of sarcasm* I decided to go with the Raijintek Tisis Black Edition @ R999 and additionally I got the Arctic MX-4 (4g) Thermal Paste @ R119, I found a few good reviews on it and again IT'S ACTUALLY AVAILABLE IN SA. I will let you guys know what new temperatures I get after installation along with full specs I am running. I'm considering testing with the stock thermal paste 1st and then apply the Arctic MX-4. Would be interesting to see... Delivery scheduled for next week sadly..............

Splitcore

Hey guys so as promised 1stly my specs.

AMD FX-8350 Piledriver 4GHz
MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard
8 GB DDR3 2200MHz Ram (Yes I will get another 8GB just not now)
AMD Radeon HD 7970

Now temps with the stock AMD cooler taken on idle and the highest temp recorded while running Prime 95
!!(Temps are above ambient)!!
Idle Temp:
25'C
Temp on full load running Prime 95:
55'C

Temps recorded with Raijintek Tisis cooler
Idle Temp:
1-2'C :cool:
30'C

Note the highest temp for the Tisis I think I saw the temps go that high once or twice... Whilst the stock cooler was pretty much there or just beneath it the whole time... So on full load my cpu is now running what it did on IDLE with the stock cooler or just about......... Why do they even bother including a bloody cooler in the 1st place?? (If one could call the stock crap a cooler)
Thanks for all the comments and input! Hopefully someone else will find this thread useful as well
Cheers!

ponder

Honorary Master
Now temps with the stock AMD cooler taken on idle and the highest temp recorded while running Prime 95
!!(Temps are above ambient)!!
Idle Temp:
25'C
55'C

Temps recorded with Raijintek Tisis cooler
Idle Temp:
1-2'C :cool:
30'C

Impossible. I think there is something wrong with your temperature reporting.

It's impossible to reach temps lower than ambient temperature unless using something like a refrigeration unit or liquid nitrogen. Even the 30C under load if would say is impossible unless you live in an igloo.

Splitcore

I did mention the readings I gave were the readings above ambient... So if ambient was 25'c the Tisis reading on full load was 25+30=55'C... I did not use expensive equipment or a temperature regulated room I just checked the thermometer... So temps could be out by +-2'C. Also the one pwm fan on the Tisis and 3 other pwm case fans were running at 80% rpm while with the stock cooler and pwm fans were running 100% obviously... (I only remembered afterwards that my msi afterburner was regulating my pwm fan speeds according to temps and at system temps of 0-60'C the pwm fan speeds are set to 80%)... If anyone is looking to purchase a Tisis go do your measurements properly... This thing is huge!! It extends over my 1st ram slot without the fan installed. I had to install my fans in the middle and at the back of the Tisis so I could still fit my ram in =/ I would have liked to install them in the front and middle... But I'd have to buy some other ram that would fit underneath it and not sure if there are any decent ones that short... Alternatively I guess I could look for a thin 140mm fan to mount at the front as well. And I'd recommend taking out your motherboard completely to do the mounting, it just saves a bunch of time and effort. Regardless I'm happy with my purchase...

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Another thing that you might consider is if it can fit into your chassis.

I am struggling to find a decent water cooler for my Lian Li PC-C60 that actually fits into my case as well.