Whisk(e)y Lovers thread

schuits

Expert Member
I got the Glen Grant Single malt the other day, and find it too sweet and caramelly.
Also got the Private Barrel No.68 which was too spicey.

Guess I need to stick to Islay.

powermzii

Expert Member
Did you find the Project XX on special, I was hoping to get a bottle or 2 last week but it wasn't on sale. Some great barrels went into making that whisky.
Have always wondered what that XX tastes like...

Quad

I bought a bottle of batch 1 when it was initially released as part of the limited experimental range. It's still unopened. Seemed to get good reviews at the time - better than Project XX.

Luben

I bought a bottle of batch 1 when it was initially released as part of the limited experimental range. It's still unopened. Seemed to get good reviews at the time - better than Project XX.
Are you referring to the Winter storm batch 1? There was only 1 batch of project xx. I'd rate the project xx better than the Winter storm..... I'm taking the price into account when rating them.

Luben

Similar profile to the 18 year old, Sherry profile, quite complex with layers of flavour as you r tasting it.

The story goes that 20 whisky experts were invited to Glenfiddich's warehouse and were told to each choose a cask. They were probably thinking that they were gonna get a bottle from their chosen cask. Those 20 casks were then used to create Project XX, I'm not sure of they were all mixed together or different proportions were used.

The Project XX is my favorite and the runner up is the Fire and Cane. I haven't opened my Winter Storm but I've been drinking my FIL's stash.

Last edited:

Snyper564

Expert Member
I see there is a whiskey and gin fest at menlyn next week. Anyone ever go to one? How do tastings etc work? I have been to wine tastings is it similar?

Luben

I see there is a whiskey and gin fest at menlyn next week. Anyone ever go to one? How do tastings etc work? I have been to wine tastings is it similar?
You referring to the Whisky Live event. It's usually much smaller than the JHB event in November, not necessarily a bad thing as it gives you a chance to chat to the brand ambasadors. Ardbeg was there last year but they're not coming this year, they're doing Wade Bales this year.

I'm doing Wade Bales on Thursday, I might attend WhiskyLive Menlyn on the Saturday if I recover in time and find a few guys to split the Uber costs from JHB side.

Snyper564

Expert Member
You referring to the Whisky Live event. It's usually much smaller than the JHB event in November, not necessarily a bad thing as it gives you a chance to chat to the brand ambasadors. Ardbeg was there last year but they're not coming this year, they're doing Wade Bales this year.

I'm doing Wade Bales on Thursday, I might attend WhiskyLive Menlyn on the Saturday if I recover in time and find a few guys to split the Uber costs from JHB side.
Awesome thanks for that! And how do whisky tastings work?

Luben

You pay R250...and drink R 5000 worth of Whisky. At least that is what I do at Wade Bales....
At the WhiskyLive you get electronic coupons that u redeem for a pour....well, that's for the guys that put out their glass, get a pour and then walk off. If you stop and have a chat about Whisky then you're likely to get it 'free'. I never use up all my coupons, I usually donate them at the end of the night. You can get more coupons if u load the Whizzky app.

Last edited:

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
At the WhiskyLive you get electronic coupons that u redeem for a pour....well, that's for the guys that put out their glass, get a pour and then walk off. If you stop and have a chat about Whisky then you're likely to get it 'free'. I never use up all my coupons, I usually donate them at the end of the night. You can get more coupons if u load the Whizzky app.
Another reason I boycott Whisky Live.

At Wade Bales there are no such thing as coupons. You drink as much as you want.

At the previous WB event, I stood at Ardbeg for the first 20 minutes, tasting and chatting. They never stopped pouring what would have been a R 1500 bar tab....

HunterNW

Executive Member
Did you find the Project XX on special, I was hoping to get a bottle or 2 last week but it wasn't on sale. Some great barrels went into making that whisky.
R999. Don't know if it was on special, just wanted one after reading the reviews.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Do any of you insure your Whisky and other booze collections?

My Whisky and Rum collection will, with international shipping, probably be close to R50k to replace if lost to damage or theft.