Whisk(e)y Lovers thread

KantSnyer

I have just dipped my toes into the world of single malts and well whiskey altogether after trying a lagavulin 16 a few weeks back, bought myself the ardbeg 10 on a few recommendations last week

Now I'm eyeing way to many whiskeys!

Also looking at trying that and the uigeadail!

Wish it was easier to get sample taster bottles in SA though.

On a side note seems that I love PEAT! MMMM SMOKEY!
Enjoy the WhiskyTribe channel on Youtube, see their latest video is right up your alley :

Luben

Do any of you insure your Whisky and other booze collections?

My Whisky and Rum collection will, with international shipping, probably be close to R50k to replace if lost to damage or theft.
I've insured mine, I provided insurance with an itemized list with replacement value (without shopping costs). Alexander Forbes pays for a Quantam risk evaluation every couple of years based upon your policy so it was visually inspected as well. He was more concerned with getting the list though.

Luben

Another reason I boycott Whisky Live.

At Wade Bales there are no such thing as coupons. You drink as much as you want.

At the previous WB event, I stood at Ardbeg for the first 20 minutes, tasting and chatting. They never stopped pouring what would have been a R 1500 bar tab....
I try to attend as many Whisky events as I can, WhiskyLive is my least favorite. Wade Bales in JHB is awesome on the Thursday cos the brand ambasadors are there. On Friday they send the 'pourers'.

Quad

Are you referring to the Winter storm batch 1? There was only 1 batch of project xx. I'd rate the project xx better than the Winter storm..... I'm taking the price into account when rating them.
Sorry, I was confusing the IPA cask release and the Project XX release. I bought a bottle each of the Project XX and IPA cask, as well as a Winter Storm, when they were initially released as the experimental range - so batch 1 of each bottle. All remain unopened.

Glenfiddich then decided that the IPA cask would join the core range. I'm not sure about the Project XX and they released batch 2 of Winter Storm. ETA - they are releasing a third batch of Winter Storm soon, so I have read.

Luben

Sorry, I was confusing the IPA cask release and the Project XX release. I bought a bottle each of the Project XX and IPA cask, as well as a Winter Storm, when they were initially released as the experimental range - so batch 1 of each bottle. All remain unopened.

Glenfiddich then decided that the IPA cask would join the core range. I'm not sure about the Project XX and they released batch 2 of Winter Storm. ETA - they are releasing a third batch of Winter Storm soon, so I have read.
I didn't know that about the IPA cask, it does baffle me why they would add it to the core range and it's the least impressive of the 4 experimental series(Bottega imported a couple of cases of No. 4 so I bought 3 bottles). I doubt there will a second edition of the Project XX, unless there's more left of the original 20 casks used.

Luben

I bought a couple of bottles via takealot in March. I actually quite like it, I've liked all the peated Benriachs that I've tasted. I wasn't disappointed with it, the 10 year non-peated was very disappointing. I like the curiositas quite a lot as well. I paid R490 each for my bottles so it's a good price.

axsis

A peated speyside... Interesting. At the price, I'd get it because why not?
Ancnoc released a 40ppm bottle called Peatheart which has sold out on whiskybrother and Glen Moray has a peated version with decentish reviews. I've not got to try either but the Glen Moray is available from some liquor city stores I believe and it's around R350. Will probably pick it up in a few months but have spent too much on whisky this year :(!

powermzii

Expert Member
Ancnoc released a 40ppm bottle called Peatheart which has sold out on whiskybrother and Glen Moray has a peated version with decentish reviews. I've not got to try either but the Glen Moray is available from some liquor city stores I believe and it's around R350. Will probably pick it up in a few months but have spent too much on whisky this year :(!
That Glen moray has gotten some good reviews and recommendations - haven't been able to find one though. I managed to get the American oak one and enjoyed it