Who has the largest fibre network?

NomNom

Executive Member
So the ETA of this going to my door is what exactly? :)

RJMadCat

WE have so much fiber! but SCREW the residential users right!

Its like teasing a dog with your meat on your plate that you know you will be eating, and the dog will be getting none of it, yet you still show it to the dog. I hate being the dog.

inferno

WE have so much fiber! but SCREW the residential users right!

Its like teasing a dog with your meat on your plate that you know you will be eating, and the dog will be getting none of it, yet you still show it to the dog. I hate being the dog.
Residential users CAN get fibre to the door easily. Its just that residential users refuse to pay the price that is quoted as it is very expensive. Only businesses can justify the investment.

Enough money can get you anything...

optel

The price will go down once all the copper has been stolen.

Antonf

Expert Member
Depressing article, more so when I got to "it is hardly surprising that many industry experts believe Telkom will remain the backbone of South Africa’s telecoms industry for many years to come.."
There, I fixed it for you...

fragtion

Expert Member
The price will go down once all the copper has been stolen.
lol, wishful thinking... telkom just chose instead to go the wireless route. sorry for them though, that's not what we want from them.

Joe Average

Residential users CAN get fibre to the door easily. Its just that residential users refuse to pay the price that is quoted as it is very expensive. Only businesses can justify the investment.

Enough money can get you anything...
Rubbish, how does a residence apply for FTTH from Telkom ? Please provide the URL for applying (I have the funds availables :D ).

Ob1

According to Dr. Brian Armstrong, Senior Managing Executive for Enterprise Markets at Telkom, they currently have 140,000km of fibre in the ground, of which 23 percent is used in their access network and 77 percent in their core network. This figure excludes all of Telkom’s overhead fibre.
Where does Armstromg always get the info. Is it a Telkom IT Tech feeding him the info ?

drukkie

Expert Member
Nice having the fibre but you can do f'all with it...that's for neotel...
I think DF is going places...we are using them and they are great!!

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Actually, this information is of no use or benefit to me as a residential or as a business user. neither Telkom or Neotel have any products based on fibre that are of any interest to me.
So yeah... pointless boasting on both counts.

moklet

Expert Member
Dr Armstrong at it again, i have the feeling he is promoting himself lately a bit too much for my liking

dbnnet

All Smoke and Mirrors - The reality is somewhat different. Suggest that one looks at the definition of what Telkom means by km's of fiber!!!!

r00igev@@r

Expert Member
Some arthmetic

South Africa is 1,221,037 km2, so if it was a square (for the sake of this argument) it would have a side of roughly 1105km
Now let us look at the "core". 77% of 140000km is about 108000km. If we laid 108000km of fibre from one edge of the square to the other we could have 98 fibre paths.
That implies a fibre path every 11.3km which means that from any point in the square you are within 5.7km of a fibre path.
Since a core is classified as 10Gb/s this means there is no reason why Telkom cannot have high speed broadband for all subscribers in South Africa at speeds of up to 100 Mb/s
Since the majority of links are 384 kb/s for broadband and 64kb/s diginet is still the staple fodder for business it would mean that more than 99% of the fibre capacity is underutilized.

MickeyD

RIP
All Smoke and Mirrors - The reality is somewhat different. Suggest that one looks at the definition of what Telkom means by km's of fiber!!!!
As long as everyone uses the same definition (which they do), no problem.

DOOMIE61

To be honest i dunno what's more scary the fact that he's a doctor or the fact that he speaks so much **** he doesn't even know it.... If telkom had this so called big fibre network why is it so difficult to give 10mb there must be like 4 people in SA with it?

I only hope this Dr idiot ruins this company... i really wish that