Who offers free local web hosting?

Grant Petersen

Are there any local web hosts willing to offer free linux hosting with PHP and MYSQL?

I have a couple of sites that I would like to host locally, but the prices are still too high for me. I am willing to place a small button or banner on every page on each of my sites in exchange for free local hosting. Here are the usage stats on my current web host:

Last edited:

.Froot.

Executive Member
There is no such thing. Local hosting is expensive, which is why local hosting packages only offer small hosting bundles in comparison with international packages.
The best you can do though is to buy local hosting and to get international hosting for mysql. I do that with a local site I maintain and it works fine.

bekdik

Honorary Master
Have a look a Hetzner's micro site. Just slightly more than free.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Do any of your sites generate enough traffic to justify attempting to offset the hosting costs with "advertising" costs..

Concrete click-through numbers would be needed before any host would even begin to think about something of that nature.

Grant Petersen

Do any of your sites generate enough traffic to justify attempting to offset the hosting costs with "advertising" costs..

Concrete click-through numbers would be needed before any host would even begin to think about something of that nature.
Do you offer hosting?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
For free? are you mad?

But I'm giving you an idea of what will be asked IF you find a hosting provider who is vaguely amenable to the idea..

You will have to justify your business case to them for them to provide you with free hosting....

Grant Petersen

Locally perhaps, internationally many hosts would jump at the idea of all those free ads.

I certainly would. If you've got a good idea for an international website and are willing to link to me on every single page, sure I'll host for you.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Locally or internationally, you would have to provide a good business case to the hosting provider to get free hosting in exchange for advertising...

If its some airy-fairy-maybe-I'll-get-you-traffic through links... they'll tell you to take a hike....

Grant Petersen

Locally or internationally, you would have to provide a good business case to the hosting provider to get free hosting in exchange for advertising...
LOL!

Try doing a search on Google for free web hosting before making broad generalisations about other web hosts.

If its some airy-fairy-maybe-I'll-get-you-traffic through links... they'll tell you to take a hike....
And if you don't have anything helpful to add, I respectfully request that you do the same.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
My broad generalisation seems to be borne out by that link of yours... Those free-hosts are doing it in exchange for placing advertising on your site.. Pretty much like AngelFire and Geocities did back in the day. Those freehosts also only offer some very specific services, and you can guarantee the uptime is nowhere near a paid hosting providers.

And you specifically asked for local and have been told that nobody does that.... not even in exchange for advertising. They'd be bankrupt in VERY short order.

Don't get an attitude, you've tried it before in your Intro thread, and got shot down.... and something tells me you'll build yourself a bad reputation on this site by doing that constantly.

Last edited:

semaphore

Honorary Master
pretty sure nobody is going to be generous and give you any space now, when clearly you do have an attitude:)

Grant Petersen

There is no such thing. Local hosting is expensive, which is why local hosting packages only offer small hosting bundles in comparison with international packages.
The best you can do though is to buy local hosting and to get international hosting for mysql. I do that with a local site I maintain and it works fine.
Thanks froot. Not a bad plan. Will have to allow external access to my database though, is this not a big security risk?

BTW Don't you think it's odd that the database is the problem as it uses relatively small amounts of traffic in comparison to images and other files?

Grant Petersen

pretty sure nobody is going to be generous and give you any space now, when clearly you do have an attitude:)
Don't want generosity. I'm looking for a host that can actually make a profit offering free hosting. If such a host doesn't exist locally yet, oh well.

.Froot.

Executive Member
Thanks froot. Not a bad plan. Will have to allow external access to my database though, is this not a big security risk?

BTW Don't you think it's odd that the database is the problem as it uses relatively small amounts of traffic in comparison to images and other files?
Databases can become huge, that's the problem. Many sites, ie picture hosting sites host their images on databases for safekeeping in binary format. This becomes rather large when you have thousands to millions of them.
An external database isn't a security risk, no. There is no difference between using it externally or internally, the password is encrypted in both situations.

Grant Petersen

Interesting. My databases only store text though, so the cost saving would be minimal. Also, my current host charges much more for database traffic than it does for the ordinary kind.

Does your host not charge you for traffic between your database and their server?