Why current power outages are not load shedding

So... unplanned loadshedding? Brownouts, blackouts, power failures?

Call it what you want the "promise" of no loadshedding implied that eskom will keep the lights on. not calling it "loadshedding" does not negate the fact that they cannot keep the lights on :wtf:

f2wohf

Honorary Master
My whole suburb is actually working on generator installed by City Power at the substation, thanks to a feeder braking down and taking a few weeks to replace :erm:

Shows a lot about the maintenance and their reserve of spare parts...

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
So... unplanned loadshedding? Brownouts, blackouts, power failures?

Call it what you want the "promise" of no loadshedding implied that eskom will keep the lights on. not calling it "loadshedding" does not negate the fact that they cannot keep the lights on :wtf:
You cannot promise equipment won't fail.

unskinnybob

Expert Member
You cannot promise equipment won't fail.
Of course you can mitigate failure. It's called planning and preventative maintenance. A properly configured grid also has redundancy to cater for unforeseen equipment failure.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Of course you can mitigate failure. It's called planning and preventative maintenance. A properly configured grid also has redundancy to cater for unforeseen equipment failure.
Mitigating is only reducing the chances, not eliminating them. These day the power goes out due to equipment failure and people start declaring load-shedding is back in effect.

unskinnybob

Expert Member
Mitigating is only reducing the chances, not eliminating them. These day the power goes out due to equipment failure and people start declaring load-shedding is back in effect.
But it boils to the same thing - lack of capacity. The last extended rounds of load-shedding was also caused by failing power stations due to, amongst other things, lack of maintenance.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
Maybe if the grid was making any sense from the start, it would help.

My area is connected is a way where essentially not all the houses were electrified at the same time. Much like our fibre today, people electrified as they could afford it. Meaning that houses were connected to different sub stations according to the order in which they were electrified. This is what causes you to be out while your neighbor might be fine.

Which becomes a nightmare for maintenance...

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
it's not loadshedding, but expect your power to be off for roughly the same amount of time you usually experience loadshedding...

ch@rge

Is this then Eskom's fault, or City Power's fault?

I'm actually in support of Eskom over this (If what they say is actually true).
If illegal connections are causing overloading and thus outages - let these guys bear the brunt of the suffering. Surely it then makes the grid more stable for the rest of us who actually pay?

Like f2wohf said - City Power provided a generator while the substation is repaired.
I have a feeling that a few illegal connections were not connected to this...

Solitude

Expert Member
On Sunday we had no power at home. Now we don't have power here at work in Boskruin. Load shedding, blackouts, either way we are without power way too often.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Yep just been driving through Kya sands and no power there as well. We have had a " power outage" every week at home for the last three weeks.

Something is seriously up with this sudden amount of outages.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Yep just been driving through Kya sands and no power there as well. We have had a " power outage" every week at home for the last three weeks.

Something is seriously up with this sudden amount of outages.
City Power have been neglecting the distribution network for decades.

Now, that is coming home to roost.
Too many redundant systems have been allowed to go unrepaired because "hey, it's still working". So now there are plenty of single points of failure.
Case in point - 5 MV cables in blairgowrie were damaged, before Vumatel hit the sole remaining cable keeping Blairgowrie, Bordeaux and Hurling Manor powered up ...

ngwe23

Executive Member
“Eskom installs fuses or circuit breakers that switch off when the load gets to dangerous levels, thus preventing the transformer from exploding.

“Sometimes residents bypass these safety features and the transformer does explode. Not only is this dangerous, but these transformers may take hours or days to repair.
This make no sense to me. Could someone explain to me how people bypass protection equipment?

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
This make no sense to me. Could someone explain to me how people bypass protection equipment?
Yeah that part confused me as well because I was thinking why the layman on the street would be wanting to bypass the safety measures at the sub station to the transformer.

I get the fact them doing it from street lights etc but it would not bypass the safety system for the transformer.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Yeah that part confused me as well because I was thinking why the layman on the street would be wanting to bypass the safety measures at the sub station to the transformer.

I get the fact them doing it from street lights etc but it would not bypass the safety system for the transformer.
People live in substation buildings in our suburb... they can easily mess with the kit in there.