Why do folks drink non-alcoholic beer?

Why do you, or why would you have to, drink non-alcoholic beer?

This is branching off from a few posts in another threads not frequented by many...

Note: There already two or three threads about the types of non-alcoholic beer so you are welcome to discuss the various products there. And, yes, all the insults are also in those threads so please don't feel the urge to repeat them here...

EMAM

Honorary Master
My ex SO gave up alcohol nearly 17 years ago. He was a daily drinker and this got quite out of hand....I would probably have classed him as an alcoholic. He just decided one day....no more and he hasn't touched a drop since.
Every few months, the craving will start and he'll buy one non-alcoholic beer and that satifies his craving.

Necropolis

Executive Member
I've had non-alcoholic beer a few times - and all of those times were when I was on business in Kuwait which is a dry country.

The one tasted like liquid wheetbix - it wasn't wonderful.

D3nz

Honorary Master
When my husband quit alcohol about eight years ago, at first he would buy the non-alcoholic stuff just to fit in with the rest of his mates when they were drinking. Now he just sticks to cooldrinks.

Stefanmuller

Expert Member
Probably thesame reason people vape or drink diet sodas?

You are either trying to avoid sugar or alcohol or the bad things in sigarette smoke like tar, but still want a similar taste satisfaction.

I've tried a few non alcoholic beers when my wife was pregnant. Most were overly malty and sweet, but you do get some OK ones.

lancon

Drinking non-alcoholic beer is like going to a prostitute for a hug.
On a side note some of them do taste ok.

samrai.jck

Expert Member
My brother in law was a alcoholic, drank 18-24 black labels a day, monday - sunday, when he got kids he got clean. Got that implant in his ass-cheek to help at the start.
Now he drink 6-12 non-alcoholic beers a day. Its the habit he cant kick at the moment, a very expensive taste.

ponder

Honorary Master
Doctors orders. One guy I know is not allowed alcohol (throat/mouth cancer), he likes the taste of beer though and found a non-alcoholic one he likes.

saor

Honorary Master
I like the taste of beer but can't always consume alcohol when I will be driving.
This pretty much. If I'm going out for lunch during work hours it's nice to drink something ice cold that tastes like beer.

Vegeta

Executive Member
There are some okay non-alcoholic beers out there but we don't have much to choose from in SA.

I like it because I like beer in general but don't always want the effect of alcohol, simple I like my mind sharp most of the time, also I enjoy being sober more than slightly drunk which is all beer does makes you ever so slightly drunk which is just annoying.

Come to think of it i don't really enjoy any level of drunkness don't get why people like it. One normal beer i can do maybe two, more than that and I basically just feel tired and worn out.

McT

The Humble Scot!
A neighbour restricts himself to 2 - 3 light beers a day and then switches to non-alcoholic stuff to replace the real thing. If it weren't for the need to regulate it (for health reasons), I am quite sure he wouldn't switch. Says the non-alcoholic beer is good for what he needs.

kolaval

Expert Member
We should rather be asking why non alcoholic beer is so frigging expensive!?

Methinks becks is going for R70 a 6 pack