Why do people smoke?

nihilist

Expert Member
I smoked off and on in nightclubs when I was in my late teens.

I started smoking full time because it was the ONLY way I could get a 5-min break from work (corporate IT kills you) with the smokers outside, our manager was a smoker too. So if you were caught outside NOT smoking just hanging around with the smokers you were in serious trouble, but the smokers could hang about and chat outside.. blerry unfair!

So yeah, that's how I started.

I quit over a year ago, atm battling the urge to start again.

I miss smoking tho, I DO NOT miss the addiction or the expense, even if rolling your own costs R250pm. I do miss the flavour, the smell (yes, actually) and the chemical reaction on the brain.

sigh, nasty buggers.

DJ...

Banned
I quit over a year ago, atm battling the urge to start again
Just do it, nilly. All the cool people are. And it seems you're sacrificing a lot on a daily basis because of it. Your body is telling you that you need it - so don't ignore it.

nihilist

Expert Member
Yeah, I guess you're right, besides it's giving back precious money to the economy.

adelp

Expert Member
LOL!!

That minister of health wasn't thinking of production.
That what i always said smokers can stand outside and smoke as much as they want but a non smoker gets frowned upon when you go out and stand around.

DJ...

Banned
Yeah, I guess you're right, besides it's giving back precious money to the economy.
I'll be happy to donate you a couple of loosies if you haven't got an emergency pack handy. Let us know how it goes - we're rooting for you. Respect your body and therefore listen to it when it tells you what it needs. It's like getting thirsty and hungry - if your body needs it, it will tell you...

Good luck...

nihilist

Expert Member
@DJK: truely you are a God send.
@adelp: Yeah, just as DJK is suggesting, if you can't beat 'em - join 'em!

Keeper

Honorary Master
I'll be happy to donate you a couple of loosies if you haven't got an emergency pack handy. Let us know how it goes - we're rooting for you. Respect your body and therefore listen to it when it tells you what it needs. It's like getting thirsty and hungry - if your body needs it, it will tell you...

Good luck...
yeah...if you could give up eating, would you do it? it would save money yes, but eating is cool - everybody's doing it!

smoking is the same. :p

I wish I was this cool in school

Last edited:

nihilist

Expert Member
It's harder to give up snacking than smoking ffs.

Rolling me own : R250pm
snacking : lots more.

Londo

that actually why i hate it so much is because those who smoke can't give a hoot about whoever around them or whatever around them.

Cause yesterday i sit in a restaurant and not to close to the door (inside) and just outside the door a woman decides she's gonna smoke and all that odour just comes in and she couldn't care less
She doesn't smell it. She is a smoker. If you had ever smoked, you would know that.

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
Personally, I hate smoking and can't stand smokers. I think it's a ridiculous and stupid habit that forms simply, "Because you can" or because you didn't have the will power to just utter the most pathetically simple of words, "No."

My mother's a smoker. She also had a quadruple-bypass a few years ago. She claims that she smokes because it's a "coping mechanism." She has two grand kids - 1 and 3-year-old girls. Chances are they'll never get to know my mom because she'll end up dead before they're old enough to even remember her or what she's like. My mother is a fantastic, strong and amazing woman... And it hurts to know that my brother's children will never get to know the amazing person she is... That she more than likely won't be around to see them grow up and know the people that they will become.

I think smoking is disgusting because people don't realise how it affects the people that love them... Or what they'll lose out on in the long-term...

I have grown to accept it though... That there are people who don't care. It doesn't change the fact that the people that love them will lose so many precious moments... But of course... they either don't care enough to stop... Or those moments don't outweigh the "advantages" of a quick fix.

If I could cut away just 20 years of my life, and know that without a doubt my mom would be able to live those extra 20 years to see my brother's children grow up... I would... Guaranteed. It breaks my heart to know the world doesn't work like that though...

DJ...

Banned
Personally, I hate smoking and can't stand smokers. I think it's a ridiculous and stupid habit that forms simply, "Because you can" or because you didn't have the will power to just utter the most pathetically simple of words, "No."

My mother's a smoker. She also had a quadruple-bypass a few years ago. She claims that she smokes because it's a "coping mechanism." She has two grand kids - 1 and 3-year-old girls. Chances are they'll never get to know my mom because she'll end up dead before they're old enough to even remember her or what she's like. My mother is a fantastic, strong and amazing woman... And it hurts to know that my brother's children will never get to know the amazing person she is... That she more than likely won't be around to see them grow up and know the people that they will become.

I think smoking is disgusting because people don't realise how it affects the people that love them... Or what they'll lose out on in the long-term...

I have grown to accept it though... That there are people who don't care. It doesn't change the fact that the people that love them will lose so many precious moments... But of course... they either don't care enough to stop... Or those moments don't outweigh the "advantages" of a quick fix.

If I could cut away just 20 years of my life, and know that without a doubt my mom would be able to live those extra 20 years to see my brother's children grow up... I would... Guaranteed. It breaks my heart to know the world doesn't work like that though...
You sound like you need a cigarette...

You sure? not smoking as much but never got drunk in ur life?

Seriously man, ur missing out. it IS part of life.
Experience everything atleast once. :eek:

Do you atleast drink wine when at church? (nagmaal ?)

take off your bladdy goody shoes!:mad: take it OOOOOOFF!
I didn't say I don't drink at all... just never gotten drunk :p

I occasionally have a sip of wine... only about 50 mls or somewhere about there...