Why DStv is hard to beat

Thor

Honorary Master
Who was the user who said MC felt the boycott?
Told you they continue to prosper.

Joseph matane

Am waiting for negative comments, by the way thank you Mybroadband journalist for mentioning total number of local languages available on Dstv i appreciate it, unlike before you reported only about Afrikaans content

Bad1

Multichoice continues to grow but they decided to retrench staff, and don't forget they also assisted the guptas with millions, also let's not forget how many South Africans can't watch sport anymore because its so unaffordable. Icasa needs to regulate the industry professionally, allow everyone to buy content and increase competition, if it continues like the way it is those who subscribe to premium will continue to subsidise handouts to local produces so they can drive fancy cars with your money and the guptas can purchase a 5 star hotel in dubai all with South african dstv premium subscribers money!

Bobbin

Executive Member
Every time I go to a family member who has DSTV and I wade through all the channels and content I just think about how prehistoric and useless it seems, especially for the cost. I guess I'm just not the target market for it :/

And the only reason they have it is because they only watch sport (Tennis and Soccer), which I don't. So yep, I'm definitely not the target market.

It's my grandmother I'm referring to as said family member, who lives in a retirement village.

Gemsbok

No need to beat DSTv. They are doing a great job doing it themselves. Cancelled it months ago..... Dont miss it at all. Visit family a while ago. They still have DSTV. I scrolled through the program menu....couldnt find a single thing worth watching.....

Chinmaya

Crooks have monopoly with support from ICASA and competition commission. All hand in glove with each other.

Horribly priced and people love to pay though the top base has decreased a little.

Seems in SA people know how to spend and have zero knowledge about value of money

Swa

Honorary Master
So are we going to decide sometime in the future if we want people to move or not? Seems every day it's different.

Who was the user who said MC felt the boycott?
Told you they continue to prosper.
You think because a company gains customers there's no effect from those leaving?

Every time I go to a family member who has DSTV and I wade through all the channels and content I just think about how prehistoric and useless it seems, especially for the cost. I guess I'm just not the target market for it :/

And the only reason they have it is because they only watch sport (Tennis and Soccer), which I don't. So yep, I'm definitely not the target market.

It's my grandmother I'm referring to as said family member, who lives in a retirement village.
You're right you're not. Plenty of their shown are rather new and even a few hours after airing in the U.S. All services would have some dated content. Guess you're just not interested in the new content they have.

Daruk

Honorary Master

Aquila ka Hecate

Expert Member
To be honest, I would find it hard to go without the plethora of news channels available on DSTV.
That, and some of the up-to-date series content, is what makes me stick around.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
Crooks have monopoly with support from ICASA and competition commission. All hand in glove with each other.

Horribly priced and people love to pay though the top base has decreased a little.

Seems in SA people know how to spend and have zero knowledge about value of money
Exactly this.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Online steaming services is what slowly killing Dstv. They might be alive, doesn't mean they not dying.

RedViking

Nord of the South
What is multichoice performance this year compared to last year and the year before that?

Jase

Executive Member
DSTV pricing and repeats aside, I spend some time out of the country and my accomodation there has satellite TV as well (not multichoice). I've maybe scrolled through the channels twice and haven't bothered since.

For me the concept of having to schedule a time to watch something has become foreign (yes I know you do get DSTV catch up) and I prefer just turning on my streaming device, selecting something that satisfies my current itch.

Added to that, I hate missing the beginning of a show whether it's a documentary, movie or sports (my FOMO).

Bobbin

Executive Member
So are we going to decide sometime in the future if we want people to move or not? Seems every day it's different.

You think because a company gains customers there's no effect from those leaving?

You're right you're not. Plenty of their shown are rather new and even a few hours after airing in the U.S. All services would have some dated content. Guess you're just not interested in the new content they have.
Yeah probably. Also I just find it much more convenient simply browsing a catalog and choosing something that does interest me on the spot. Lately though I also watch very little TV overall so its even more important to just be able to sit down and choose or continue with something immediately. Not sure if this is equally possible with any of the DSTV options but even if so, at what cost :/ I have a fibre line already, may as well just use that.