Why Koeberg Unit 1 was tripped

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Why Koeberg Unit 1 was tripped

Eskom has provided an update as to why Koeberg Unit 1 was manually tripped by its operators this week.

"The reason for the manual trip was as a result of increasing temperature on the secondary side of the plant, due to degraded heat removal (or cooling) capability," said Eskom.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
For the love of all things honest... please get your story straight. Any excuse. "Frikkie took a dump and the toilet got blocked, Stage 5 until Andrew, the janitor, gets to work to sort it out" would be more plausible...

Fjorko

Expert Member
What a load of cr@p - so for the first time since 1984 Jellyfish suddenly started blocking the pumps ????? REALLY !????...these muppets have reached new levels of idiocy . . .

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Actually its a real problem world wide.

I was sceptical but an interesting read

MidnightWizard

Executive Member
There is a CLOSED fresh water cooling system that is cooled by cold seawater via a HEAT EXCHANGE system ..
IF there was PROPER engineering planing this could very easily be ameliorated !
BY
Making sure the aquatic life NEVER got anywhere near ANY working parts

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
the ANC will ALWAYS find new excuses for every f up they do
this jellyfish is the best one this year :D

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master

yes but did ESKOM google it and use that as an excuse now? i havent seen jellyfish here on our shores in a very long time

chromedome

Expert Member

I put that link in the other thread.

Pythonista

They can't even get the low-tech stuff right ... what chance the really difficulty stuff ?

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
There is a CLOSED fresh water cooling system that is cooled by cold seawater via a HEAT EXCHANGE system ..
IF there was PROPER engineering planing this could very easily be ameliorated !
BY
Making sure the aquatic life NEVER got anywhere near ANY working parts
Your International Nuclear Oceanic Consultancy business must keep you extremely busy...

Last edited:

Nqindi

What a load of cr@p - so for the first time since 1984 Jellyfish suddenly started blocking the pumps ????? REALLY !????...these muppets have reached new levels of idiocy . . .
You guys are geniuses, aren't you? This is obviously not the first time something like this happens. The difference is that in the past we had reserve power so that generating units will go in and out of service without any of it making news.

_TrXtR_

Who would win:
A multi-million rand nuclear power station vs bunch of stingy bois ?
Yeah I hear jets also get taken out by birds every now and then... stupid aviation industry.