WIFI Boosting HELP

yaseent

Hi people - need some advise on improving WIFI signal throughout an office building.

I have put together a diagram of what I'm looking for - and doing countless of Google searches could not find such a device.

I've seen repeaters and bridges but nothing quite for what I'm looking for, so I'm asking all of you to please advise me whether such a solution exists. Please see diagram in link below

Also - other than this - I was also thinking of using the Billion Powerline adapters - where one adapter plugs into your wall's power socket, takes internet from your adsl router and transmits it throughout your building's electical system to be received by other wall-socket-connected adapters and re-transmitted as WIFI - but I'm not sure what kind reliability and performance this would provide, and also whether this could have a negative impact on your electrical system.

:confused:

Thanks!

http://shlabit.net/wifisetup.jpg

agentrfr

Expert Member
Ah...thanks...my bad!

Can anyone suggest basically an Access Point with 2 LAN ports (one for incoming and one for outgoing) ?
????? One LAN cable does in and out???????

You only need one LAN port buddy :)

All you need to do is have two or more AP with the same SSID, encryption and password, where those APs are connected with LAN cables. The devices on the network make themselves work. Very little fiddling is needed for this kind of setup. Post here if you need help :)

agentrfr

Expert Member
Oh wait, I think you meant you needed more LAN cables to make a ring around the building. If you get a decent wireless router, it should come with four LAN ports standard anyway :)

Bobbin

Executive Member
Ah...thanks...my bad!

Can anyone suggest basically an Access Point with 2 LAN ports (one for incoming and one for outgoing) ?
Lol no worries hope I was right :D I don't do wireless well myself :eek:

yaseent

yaseent

agentrfr

Expert Member
If you prefer to go with APs connected via wires, I can't find any other 2 RJ45 port APs for cheaper than what you posted.

That being said, our house it littered with these little APs connected to eacher by WDS. It really does work nicely. Don't foreget that the newer 'n' standard for wireless networks has a lot more "omph" than older standards. I find cabling upstairs/downstars a lot of work, especially the cables being different colours to the wall (having to repaint them with wall paint so they hide in plain sight as they crawl up the wall into the roof/next room), and having to deal with all the mess from drilling into the wall/ceiling. It's a nightmare if you accidently hit a power line....

yaseent

Already have a plan for that

If you prefer to go with APs connected via wires, I can't find any other 2 RJ45 port APs for cheaper than what you posted.

That being said, our house it littered with these little APs connected to eacher by WDS. It really does work nicely. Don't foreget that the newer 'n' standard for wireless networks has a lot more "omph" than older standards. I find cabling upstairs/downstars a lot of work, especially the cables being different colours to the wall (having to repaint them with wall paint so they hide in plain sight as they crawl up the wall into the roof/next room), and having to deal with all the mess from drilling into the wall/ceiling. It's a nightmare if you accidently hit a power line....
Alright buddy - thanks for all the help.

If you look at the diagram I made - you will see Lan Cable 2. Lan Cable 2 to is currently in place and runs outside the building through the gaps between the bricks right to the back of the building. That worked well for us - and for this new wired + wirless installation I plan on using Lan Cable 2. But like you said, cabling is a mess, in fact if Lan Cable 2 wasn't in place - I'd go completely WDS as you suggested.

Thanks again !! :p