WiFi Mesh recommendation

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I'm in need of getting more WiFi power into a room at the one end of the house, probably 15m in a straight line. Laying a cat cable is not ideal do mesh it is (hate this ISP issued DLink router anyway).

I don't fiddle around on routers so looking for easy setup (PPPoE) and the usual basics without breaking the bank.

The TP-Link M4 (two pack) seems ideal but no idea how far apart the two nodes can be and if a more expensive three pack or the M5 is worth it.

Best price I can find for the M4 is +-R2500.

Other options or opinions?

dlevine

I have 3 tp link echo mesh system in my house. Works perfectly. Just remember you lose signal speed everytime signal hits a new beacon.

Thor

Honorary Master
Do you have a ceiling?

I would really just go with Tenda as your main router, then cable to the roof and another tanda in the ceiling close to the room (in bridge mode).

done, probably R1000 bucks and you will have great Wi-Fi.

Any of the Mesh systems worth buying are really expensive and doesn't offer that much of a bump over what you want in an "average" size house <= assuming here you don't have a double+ story place.

greg0205

Honorary Master
I'm in need of getting more WiFi power into a room at the one end of the house, probably 15m in a straight line. Laying a cat cable is not ideal do mesh it is (hate this ISP issued DLink router anyway).

I don't fiddle around on routers so looking for easy setup (PPPoE) and the usual basics without breaking the bank.

The TP-Link M4 (two pack) seems ideal but no idea how far apart the two nodes can be and if a more expensive three pack or the M5 is worth it.

Best price I can find for the M4 is +-R2500.

Other options or opinions?
Love my M4s and two should cover the 15 meters easily. They're plug and play and there's an app to help you out too.

The M4s also have gigabit ports... You'll see E4s that look identical and are cheaper, but they only have a 100mbps capability.

Thor

Honorary Master
Why are those so cheap?
Cause you said you dont work with routers and have no lus.

So take the tenda it works like a bomb it's no ubiquity but it beats the mikrotik range hands down (granted mikrotik is not meant for range its the control it offers that puts it on the map) the tenda offers good consumer performance (ie you want range and speed) you don't care about routing your chromecast via smartdns and your synology nas via the company VPN.

dasdk

SuperSonic sells plume gen1 devices you need about 3 to get them to cover an average house
they work pretty well and have an awesome app to control and Monitor everything
I have 9 which covers 4 buildings
When I was renovating I decided to run 10 network points so I could hard wire these pods but you have have too and if they have excellent signal between pods then you get around 180mbps on wireless connection
If wired they get to 330mbps

Attachments

Hamster

Resident Rodent
LAN ports limited to 100mbps, assuming you're talking about the Nova MW3s
I'll stick to we'll known brands with gigabit ports thank you very much.

I can appreciate a very well priced router but ...no. I've never even heard of Tenda.

Thor

Honorary Master
I'll stick to we'll known brands with gigabit ports thank you very much.

I can appreciate a very well priced router but ...no. I've never even heard of Tenda.
That guy is talking kak.

Both routers are gigabit routers and are 2Ghz and 5Ghz

Its a respected brand you won't make a mistake unless you want all out in which case buy the Ubiquiti Amplify and be done.

Pho3nix

The Legend
Subbed. Curious as the Ubiquiti stuff is great but a bit pricy.
A 2k odd mesh system would be great

Pho3nix

The Legend
SuperSonic sells plume gen1 devices you need about 3 to get them to cover an average house
When I was renovating I decided to run 10 network points so I could hard wire these pods but you have have too and if they have excellent signal between pods then you get around 180mbps on wireless connection
Possible without being on SuperSonic?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
That guy is talking kak.

Its a respected brand you won't make a mistake unless you want all out in which case buy the Ubiquiti Amplify and be done.
Well I appreciate learning about a new brand but I read this:

Think I'll give the Tenda a skip for now. Looks good but paying the extra R1000 for the TP-Link seems worth it. I actually liked at the M5 first but three nodes feel like overkill and can't really see the advantage of having it over the M4.

DLink has the Covr, don't see it pop-up in many interviews though.

Ubiquiti, M9 etc are complete overkill wrt price.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Did you get all of them from Supersonic? Or buy them separately? Their offer seemed to be 3 units for R150/month including the app and the membership fee?

They wanted to come out and check where they needed to be installed for best signal. They would just sell me the things... And then they never came out to do the testing

powermzii

Expert Member
That guy is talking kak.

The MW3s only have 100mb lan ports, MW5s and up have gigabit

Last edited:

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Tenda is budget, but some features def not budget.

My R200 tenda lets me set limit on bandwidth per device with drop down menu, some fancy devices does not even do this. Range is also pretty good and been running for months without an issue.

Thor

Honorary Master
The MW3s only have 100mb lan ports, MW5s and up have gigabit
I'm not talking about those. I linked to two Tenda routers (thats what he asked why so cheap - unless I missed a post)

Thor

Honorary Master
Tenda is budget, but some features def not budget.

My R200 tenda lets me set limit on bandwidth per device with drop down menu, some fancy devices does not even do this. Range is also pretty good and been running for months without an issue.
This is what I was getting at, hamster said he does not want to work with routers therefore tenda is ideal you get premium stuff not even the MikroTik can do like bandwidth monitoring and settings limits etc, in a neat app.