WiFi Mesh recommendation

powermzii

Expert Member
So I bought the Decos. Decided to go with my gut, reviews seem favorable and ...well **** it.

Anyway, they arrived, I downloaded the app and was setup 5min later watching Apple TV :p
Did you end up with the 3 pack M4 or the 2 M4 + extender? A friend of mine is in the market for similar setup.

What is your experience so far with the WiFi throughput all over your house etc?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Did you end up with the 3 pack M4 or the 2 M4 + extender? A friend of mine is in the market for similar setup.

What is your experience so far with the WiFi throughput all over your house etc?
M4 two pack (Takealot). 10m seems like stretching it but at 8m it's working great.

I haven't played with adding a switch to the second node yet. Maybe over the weekend, but I don't have any more dead spots in my house.

M5 three pack is also an option.

powermzii

Expert Member
M4 two pack (Takealot). 10m seems like stretching it but at 8m it's working great.

I haven't played with adding a switch to the second node yet. Maybe over the weekend, but I don't have any more dead spots in my house.

M5 three pack is also an option.
Very nice, congrats. Keen to hear your feelings after a few more days and tweaking etc

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
1588841479852.png

Decided to start with this one, I like lcd display to see what current throughtput is on the network.

powermzii

Expert Member
Setup done it just works.

Will add another to my network soon.
Congrats

How does that one unit fare in terms of WiFi reach and throughput? I've always heard good things about Ubiquity and considered that pack but cost was an issue

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Congrats

How does that one unit fare in terms of WiFi reach and throughput? I've always heard good things about Ubiquity and considered that pack but cost was an issue
Its perfect for me only have 100Sqm place, but want one in the study just because I want everything to be the same.

I get good 5ghz connection in my study also now, S20 is connected at 351mps, my laptop is connected at 866mps which I think is the max.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
If you live in the place and you can cable do a Ubiquiti Unifi setup (2 x Lites rather than 1 x Long Range).

Otherwise spend the money and do the Ubiquiti Amplifi setup and you get a router out of the mix too.

If you go cheap you'll just be spending the money again in a year or two.

dasdk

Did you get all of them from Supersonic? Or buy them separately? Their offer seemed to be 3 units for R150/month including the app and the membership fee?

They wanted to come out and check where they needed to be installed for best signal. They would just sell me the things... And then they never came out to do the testing
i got a set of 6 from a seller on amazon secondhand as they were really cheap. 3 i bought from supersonic and once i linked it to my account it added them to my lifetime membership.

But i wouldn't go the plume route today, as samsung Smart things smart hub is better as its powered by Plume software , comes with lifetime membership and you can control your smart devices (https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SmartThings-Functionality-Whole-Home-WV525KWEGUS/dp/B07QSVXK2C)

Vodacom is offering smart home kits, with this hub, i wonder if they would allow you just to buy the hub!

Hamster

Resident Rodent
So I owe @Thor half an apology in that the TP-Link (Deco M4) is **** and cannot possibly be worse than the cheaper Tendas. Return pick up already scheduled. Random disconnects from the ONT/no internet and the wifi speeds are terrible.

Worked at first but why it went to **** I cannot explain. So will probably look for an alternative solution rather than an alternative device setup.

powermzii

Expert Member
So I owe @Thor half an apology in that the TP-Link (Deco M4) is **** and cannot possibly be worse than the cheaper Tendas. Return pick up already scheduled. Random disconnects from the ONT/no internet and the wifi speeds are terrible.

Worked at first but why it went to **** I cannot explain. So will probably look for an alternative solution rather than an alternative device setup.
Is there anything in the logs? How have you set it up? As in are they connected direct to ONT or is there another router in between?

Chingha

Expert Member
Hasnt been my experience popped in a pair of Deco M5s and they are working fantastically.

Suspect99

Executive Member
My deco m5 3 pack has been working flawlessly for over a year now

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master

That was quick

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Is there anything in the logs? How have you set it up? As in are they connected direct to ONT or is there another router in between?
Direct to ONT. Tried to switch to bridging mode but because of conflicting SSIDs from old router and new I had an issue logging in. Switched off old router, still couldn't get into new by now so I did a manual reset...and then it just got stuck.

Granted I was well beyond irritated at this point so just packed it up and filed a return.

Give me a web interface. The app BS isn't working for me. I'm older than I should be :p

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Ran a LAN cable to the office to a switch and everything just works. Old school.