Windows 10 1903 Stutter issue

Hi. has anyone experienced game and video streaming stuttering when using the new windows 10 1903? I noticed that issue on a few systems but at the moment im trying to help a friend on his.

he uses 1809 then there are no issues at all. we manually updated to 1903 then the stutter was there on games and video streams. in game, when this happens, it shoots the ping high up for a couple seconds too.

we went back to 1809 by manually installing it from a flash drive and it was fine. Then we waited for the update to come through windows update and installed it. problem is back again. rolled back to 1809 3 days later and it was fine again.

Also on 1903 his CPU temp averages 40°c at idle but on 1809 or older its under 30

PC Specs:

i9 9900K ( stock or OC makes no difference)
Asus ROG Maximus Formula XI Z390
16GB 3200Mhz RAM
500GB NVMe
GTX 1070

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I did some searching but didnt find the info you provided. Looks like will need to wait until its fixed before updating again.

Meelperd

@20Hertz, I think this might be it, but I might be wrong:

The much dreaded wermgr.exe (Windows Error Reporting service) is back!!! Just look how it destroyed all my data in less than a week

wermgr.jpg

This is the service included in the first editions of Windows 10 that collect EVERYTHING from your PC - every time you press a key. :mad:
Last week I had a strange notification with my updates, including a message stating that 1903 is rolling out and that I will receive it whenever it's my turn. Apart from that, I had two additional updates, and my guess is that they chucked this bad boy in there to collect data in order to determine ... something.
@ponder, do you think this wermgr.exe deserves its own thread?

@Meelperd. I dont have that problem and haven't heard of it yet but I will keep that in mind. the data usage alone could be a big problem for a lot of people.

I just noticed a new version of the Geforce driver. the release notes says it now supports 1903. maybe it works with the new driver version. will test it soon.

There is some few strings which I used and put them into CMD.exe under admin rights and the problem dissappeared, it was something with BCedit.exe or so you can really look up in google for that matter really, so please be sure.

@Gardagar I would like to try that. anything at this point. this issue is messed up frustrating. we Installed the latest driver from Nvidia (431.36). Then updated to 1903 via windows update and the problem is back again. Just as every other time, it wasnt there while on 1809. going to try a few more things later today.

So far we think it has something to do with the GPU but we havent tested it with another GPU. I'm going to test it later with its on board graphics. yeah low settings with something like 30FPS on UHD 630 but that should tell us if its related to the GPU. in the meantime im looking for anything else I can try.

Testing with another GPU is only part of the troubleshooting to identify the cause but I really wanna get this issue sorted now.

O...K... so easy fix in the end. I removed the driver package from the pc using DDU. then after a restart I installed the driver from windows update via device manager. now its fine. so something in the Nvidia driver package is causing the problem.