Windows 10 Update everytime

phly

Good Day

A family member recently got a toy - iLife Zed Note 2 in 1( iLife Zed Note ). Its a very basic 2 in 1 with only like 2GB ram and a 32GB hard drive - both not upgradable as far as I can tell.

The issue I have is her toy keeps "hogging + depleting" bandwidth and internet using up the limited data we have with windows 10 updates that never seem to fully complete updating/installing. The toy would attempt to install an update whenever it has a whiff of the internet but will fail in one way or another only to repeat the same process almost daily.

I thought I would try downgrade that toy to windows 7 however I see on the iLife website that windows 7 or 8 will not work - no idea why - I presume its due to drivers compatibility

Any solution I can try? I have also tried blocking all updates through registry, group policy, metered connection and other means but no joy as when I seem to fully block updates then internet somehow does not work.

Help!

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Good Day

A family member recently got a toy - iLife Zed Note 2 in 1( iLife Zed Note ). Its a very basic 2 in 1 with only like 2GB ram and a 32GB hard drive - both not upgradable as far as I can tell.

The issue I have is her toy keeps "hogging + depleting" bandwidth and internet using up the limited data we have with windows 10 updates that never seem to fully complete updating/installing. The toy would attempt to install an update whenever it has a whiff of the internet but will fail in one way or another only to repeat the same process almost daily.

I thought I would try downgrade that toy to windows 7 however I see on the iLife website that windows 7 or 8 will not work - no idea why - I presume its due to drivers compatibility

Any solution I can try? I have also tried blocking all updates through registry, group policy, metered connection and other means but no joy as when I seem to fully block updates then internet somehow does not work.

Help!
Have you run the Windows Updates troubleshooter?

phly

No I haven't as the plan was to get rid of windows updates all together or downgrade to windows 7 as it was more manageable when it came to updates.

phly

Put W7 on it and see what happens, if all fails revert to W10
Alright - will try that. The family member just needs the toy for browsing, youtube videos and in future running a simple shopify store so they dont care about the operating system - must admit life is much easier on the mac side. Never have any such issues.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Alright - will try that. The family member just needs the toy for browsing, youtube videos and in future running a simple shopify store so they dont care about the operating system - must admit life is much easier on the mac side. Never have any such issues.
If linux is an option, I would recommend that.

phly

Linux may be abit of a stretch for her. Especially after being used to windows machines at work. The man hours are not there to explain why its different and looks different - windows 10 looks good just that its annoying when it comes to updates.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Then stay with, your choice. Linux would work nice on this, there is also version that imitate Windows interface.

Get Win10 Pro licence, it will lower Win10 desire for updates, but not eliminate it completely. If you want get it for free, load Win7 Pro or Ultimate + DAZ, then ugrade to Win10 Pro from this setup. MS knows what you are doing, but will allow it.
[NOTE] Win 7 should install on this laptop. Some drivers will be missing, you only need network drivers to connect to the Internet and say hello to MS servers "I am Windows 7, I am here". Then generate digital certificate for the upgrade.

Remember, there must be a space at least 10GB to let updates run smooth. If there is no space, Windows will download updates in a loop, eating a gigabyte every day.

Last edited:

phly

Then stay with, your choice. Linux would work nice on this, there is also version that imitate Windows interface.

Get Win10 Pro licence, it will lower Win10 desire for updates, but not eliminate it completely. If you want get it for free, load Win7 Pro or Ultimate + DAZ, then ugrade to Win10 Pro from this setup. MS knows what you are doing, but will allow it.

Remember, there must be a space at least 10GB to let updates run smooth. If there is no space, Windows will download updates in a loop, eating a gigabyte every day.
Which Linux version would that be? Will that win7 pro +Daz upgrade to windows 10 move kill the updates? Will I not be in the same situation with windows asking to update constantly? Granted space too is limited but there should be sufficient for updates.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Good Day

Help!
With 2GB of RAM, I highly suggest you either stay on W10 and enable metered bandwidth (WiFi or Ethernet) or move over to Linux due to both having memory compression which W7 doesn't.
Also take a look at https://github.com/ImminentFate/CompactGUI

sajunky

Honorary Master
Which Linux version would that be? Will that win7 pro +Daz upgrade to windows 10 move kill the updates? Will I not be in the same situation with windows asking to update constantly? Granted space too is limited but there should be sufficient for updates.
You don't read. Only upgrade to Win10 Pro from Win 7 Pro. In Pro you get Group Policy that worked for us so far, but now more frequently it is ignored. And we don't know what will happen on the new version to be released in a month or two. Remember what Microsoft says: Windows 10 is not product, but a service. It means you are getting unfinished product and a spying engine called "MS Telemetry". Even if GP settings is respected, you still have forced updates of MS Defender (which is not using Windows Update the others try to kill). Many applications started to follow the same rules and it will consume lot of data.

As for a Linux, check out these two links:
https://www.tecmint.com/best-alternative-linux-distributions-for-windows-users/
https://thishosting.rocks/best-lightweight-linux-distros/
You will have to combine both suggestions due to the low RAM.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
You don't read. Only upgrade to Win10 Pro from Win 7 Pro. In Pro you get Group Policy that worked for us so far, but now more frequently it is ignored. And we don't know what will happen on the new version to be released in a month or two. Remember what Microsoft says: Windows 10 is not product, but a service. It means you are getting unfinished product and a spying engine called "MS Telemetry". Even if GP settings is respected, you still have forced updates of MS Defender (which is not using Windows Update the others try to kill). Many applications started to follow the same rules and it will consume lot of data.

As for a Linux, check out these two links:
https://www.tecmint.com/best-alternative-linux-distributions-for-windows-users/
https://thishosting.rocks/best-lightweight-linux-distros/
You will have to combine both suggestions due to the low RAM.
Just ignore anything sajunky has to say in regards to Windows.
Do look at his links though, there are some really nice Linux distros if you can't get Windows 10 to work nicely for you.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Just ignore anything sajunky has to say in regards to Windows.
It shows your anger and frustration. You are unable to promote Windows 10 anymore as MS'doze didn't improve over years. I think it is even getting worse, so I understand your frustration.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
It shows your anger and frustration. You are unable to promote Windows 10 anymore as MS'doze didn't improve over years. I think it is even getting worse, so I understand your frustration.
Lol? Windows 10 has improved substantially on previous versions, just the compressed memory feature is but one main reason I recommend it above W7.

The thing is, is that Windows is a bit overkill for many home users, it doesn't make sense if you can get a free option that runs just as well and can fulfil all your tasks.

I use e.g. adobe suite which doesn't work well on Linux, play games that have no Linux support, etc.

If you already have the Windows license, then the cost factor doesn't apply anymore and it is why I would rather make it work as it is a more familiar system to the user.
Don't force users to adapt if they don't have to.

And in regards to your anti Windows comments, you have yet to properly back up any of those and commonly just sprout nonsense on any threads related to MS products.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
haha, good luck! Windows 10 sucks hairy donkey balls. It's like having a cactus up your bum 24/7.
It should be labelled as a torture device and banned by the CIA.
Take it off there as soon as possible and put a real OS instead.
Microsoft thinks you're a stupid tool and they know what's best for you.
Don't want you messing with their constant updates to their sh#tty defecating system.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Lol? Windows 10 has improved substantially on previous versions, just the compressed memory feature is but one main reason I recommend it above W7.

The thing is, is that Windows is a bit overkill for many home users, it doesn't make sense if you can get a free option that runs just as well and can fulfil all your tasks.

I use e.g. adobe suite which doesn't work well on Linux, play games that have no Linux support, etc.

If you already have the Windows license, then the cost factor doesn't apply anymore and it is why I would rather make it work as it is a more familiar system to the user.
Don't force users to adapt if they don't have to.

And in regards to your anti Windows comments, you have yet to properly back up any of those and commonly just sprout nonsense on any threads related to MS products.
An utterly Microsoft propaganda and shows lot of frustration too.

newby_investor

Interested to see how this turns out. I've toyed with the idea of getting something like this because I want a cheap Linux notebook but I was never certain whether it would let me unlock the boot order and install Linux. There's a Mecer version too I think.

+1 for the suggestion to change the network connection to metered, it stops background downloads.