Windows 10 Update everytime

Hood3dvillain

I use a little utility called WUB, aka Windows Update Blocker.

Just Google it and download from a site called Sordum.org

Run and click Disable & Protect Service. Every machine so far no more Windows Updates.

Freshy-ZN

Executive Member
load Win7 Pro or Ultimate + DAZ, then ugrade to Win10 Pro from this setup. MS knows what you are doing, but will allow it.
WTF is DAZ? I have Win 7 Ultimate on an old machine and now have this rubbish Dell i3 with Win10 on that is driving me dilly....

sajunky

Honorary Master
WTF is DAZ? I have Win 7 Ultimate on an old machine and now have this rubbish Dell i3 with Win10 on that is driving me dilly....
Windows 7 Loader by Daz. More info: https://www.reddit.com/r/Piracy/comments/56za9h
Don't deploy Google for search, it only leads you to versions with something extra. Strange agenda (paid by Microsoft?)... Use duckduckgo. However, you only need to use it on a fresh installation, upgrade and reformat hard drive, so it doesn't really matter (just keep your USB sticks away and disconnect all other devices on a local LAN).

And don't waste legitimate retail keys of Win7. OEM keys will not work on different OEM BIOS, so you have to use DAZ anyway.

phly

Expert Member
So the toy refused everything I threw at it in terms of wiping it it reseting it it even installing windows 7. I guess I’m stuck with windows 10 on it. Will try all methods I can find of blocking updates.

When I change to metered connection sometimes it refuses to connect to WiFi. Will spend the weekend seeing what I can do.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
So the toy refused everything I threw at it in terms of wiping it it reseting it it even installing windows 7. I guess I’m stuck with windows 10 on it. Will try all methods I can find of blocking updates.

When I change to metered connection sometimes it refuses to connect to WiFi. Will spend the weekend seeing what I can do.
Have you tried to let it complete at least one update session? I recently got to work on a laptop with a similar problem. Once an update has started and has been interrupted for whatever reason ( mostly because whomever owns the device loses patience), that update will try to resume regardless of anything you do to block updates. So let it complete even if you have to leave device connected overnight.

Then you can go and fiddle with whatever you like as posted on this thread and see what you can achieve re blocking Win updates. Surely you have an Internet connection available for this exercise? Then follow the suggestions about setting metered connections, it works!.

Rather put some effort into converting to Win 10 Pro. instead of all this spurious advice on how to avoid and block the updates. Manage the process instead and do the updates when it suits you using a network of your choice. It is more than possible to do this. BUT first allow whatever update is currently in process to complete. And don't forget to check the settings for Win Store and how any apps are being updated. Review the installed apps and remove those you don't want - again it is possible to do so.

Last edited:

newklear

Windows 7 Loader by Daz. More info: https://www.reddit.com/r/Piracy/comments/56za9h
Don't deploy Google for search, it only leads you to versions with something extra. Strange agenda (paid by Microsoft?)... Use duckduckgo.
One of DuckDuckGo’s partners is Yandex, a Russian government-controlled search engine, which can collect data from searches made by anyone who hasn’t read DuckDuckGo’s terms of service and altered their settings specifically to prevent this, while providing no terms of service itself.
Source

To do with the OP:
You have slight RAM and memory contraints, I would take head of pretty much everyone elses advice on fixing the windows updates. I run both Windows 10 and a few Linux distro's quite happily so have no bias towards the one or the other, they all have their own merit.

I'd resolve the updates and get up to date on Windows 10, you will save a lot of space with your windows installation too. If are still not getting any joy , there is always the option of downloading a Linux distro ISO and creating a bootable USB with Rufus or the likes and then taking it for a live run even before install.

newby_investor

Expert Member
If you are still not getting any joy , there is always the option of downloading a Linux distro ISO and creating a bootable USB with Rufus or the likes and then taking it for a live run even before install.
I suspect that the OP's problem is the cheap and cheerful notebook is locked down and won't boot from anything else except its main OS.

phly

Expert Member
I suspect that the OP's problem is the cheap and cheerful notebook is locked down and won't boot from anything else except its main OS.
It's not even locked down as such so i can change boot order however USB does not show. It had shown before when I used UltraISO to make the bootable USB but since I used Rufus afterwards I cannot even see it. I will stick to sorting out the updates as highlighted above and just learn to live with them but have them atleast happen during certain hours of the day if they must happen.

I do agree though that the first point of action is to try and see if I can get the update to complete and once that is sorted all else should fall in to place

Thanks for all the feedback - will report back with an update.

phly

Expert Member
Update - Managed to sort out and install all updates - just fighting with another microsoft product - Office - which keeps saying updates are ready yet it never seems to install them. Once this is resolved then I can make the connection a metered one and hopefully all my woes will be over

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Update - Managed to sort out and install all updates - just fighting with another microsoft product - Office - which keeps saying updates are ready yet it never seems to install them. Once this is resolved then I can make the connection a metered one and hopefully all my woes will be over
Excellent progress! BTW, don't forget the announced update that takes place next month?

phly

Expert Member
reinstall win 10
Had tried that and it never worked. Office sorted too - who knew that when you click that notification one actually has to exit Word for it to complete updating. Not getting the notification anymore. So thats another devil down. Now I can breathe. All is sorted.

Thanks gents

sajunky

Honorary Master
It's not even locked down as such so i can change boot order however USB does not show. It had shown before when I used UltraISO to make the bootable USB but since I used Rufus afterwards I cannot even see it.
You can't see bootable stick with OS which is not secure signed. Windows 7 is not. You have to disable secure boot in BIOS and disable UEFI boot mode, instead enable legacy boot (it could be different name), then you will see bootable stick on the boot selection list. You may also need to setup SATA controller in compatible mode, but try first with deaults.

Solarion

Honorary Master
What does that service do and what are the implications of switching it off?
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is a component of Microsoft Windows 2000 and later iterations of the operating systems, which facilitates asynchronous, prioritized, and throttled transfer of files between machines using idle network bandwidth. It is most commonly used by recent versions of Windows Update, Microsoft Update, Windows Server Update Services, and System Center Configuration Manager to deliver software updates to clients, Microsoft's anti-virus scanner Microsoft Security Essentials (a later version of Windows Defender) to fetch signature updates, and is also used by Microsoft's instant messaging products to transfer files. BITS is exposed through the Component Object Model (COM).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Background_Intelligent_Transfer_Service

BITS is one of the crucial services to download Windows Updates. Disabling this service will interrupt Windows Updates installation which is not recommended. Here, there is no permanent way to disable Background Intelligence Transfer Service. However, I would suggest to you follow the steps below and check if it reduces CPU utilization.
https://superuser.com/questions/1076422/how-can-i-disable-background-intelligent-transfer-service-permanently

You can disable BITS by dropping this into a .bat file and perhaps running it on a schedule.

sc stop BITS & sc config BITS start= disabled

Solarion

Honorary Master
:confused:

Or maybe just used the metered connection like everyone else does?!

Throttling only delays the update to a time when you are not busy with your machine. This won't help OP

The issue I have is her toy keeps "hogging + depleting" bandwidth and internet using up the limited data we have with windows 10 updates that never seem to fully complete updating/installing.
One more thing. If you are wondering why so much bandwidth is leaving your machine, then take note. Your machine is used as part of a giant cloud to update other Windows 10 machines on the internet.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Throttling only delays the update to a time when you are not busy with your machine. This won't help OP

One more thing. If you are wondering why so much bandwidth is leaving your machine, then take note. Your machine is used as part of a giant cloud to update other Windows 10 machines on the internet.

Only If you don't do something about it!
The secret to to managing Windows is to know what it is up to and that means going through ALL the settings and understanding what they do. We call it RTFM!
As you point out, there are plenty of settings that can be done by a user to control and manage the update process.

Solarion

Honorary Master
Only If you don't do something about it!
The secret to to managing Windows is to know what it is up to and that means going through ALL the settings and understanding what they do. We call it RTFM!
As you point out, there are plenty of settings that can be done by a user to control and manage the update process.

As you have pointed out to RTFM, well, there is simply no manual available which exposes the functionality behind the thousands of windows threads running inside svchost. Threads don't carry unique ID's in that the thread ID will be different each time that process is executed.

You will notice a few of them which of specific names, however threads you cannot simply shut down as multi-threading is called that for a reason, that one thread which may be problematic, may have several very helpful nested threads and shutting it down could crash your system. I'm a software developer and I create threads quite often. I think I understand a little bit about threading. It's a complex topic.

See this one here? It's downloading at 500kb/s. It's been doing that for several hours now. Feel free to Google svchost.exe+0x4380 or find a manual on Earth that covers that. You won't. Why? Because as I have pointed out threads don't carry the same unique ID.

There are plenty of settings available to manage windows download, but ultimately without 3rd party software, you cannot stop Windows update, only delay it. You are only given so much control over what data streams to and from your machine, but for the most part the internet is filled with "threads" about people wondering where their data is going.

Note: Even with Windows update completely disabled, svchost and it's multiple variants, continues to stream data to and from my machine to god knows where and why.

Edit: I think what I find most fascinating about Microsoft fan boys is that they don't seem bothered by this at all and are happy to just turn a blind eye. People who complain are simply told: "Well if you don't like it then don't use Windows" .

Last edited: