Windows 11 Support Thread

agentrfr

Expert Member
I just installed WIN11 on an old AMD bulldozer PC (lol doesnt even have secureboot as a bios option - just install using the command line and it works fine)

It is a mechanical HDD too, and 11 is running very smoothly. The rig has 12GB of RAM, and idle on desktop only uses 1.5GB, playing a 4k hdr video with mpv RAM usage goes up to 2.5GB. I havent seen it bloat or leak anywhere tbh

agentrfr

Expert Member
the only thing that doesnt work on my FX8150 machine on windows 11 is fdpHOST service, so I cant view network machines. Everything else works flawlessly though

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Ok that was easier than I thought

Used my ISO created via uup explained here
Created a bootable USB via Rufus
Replaced the appraiserres.dll on USB's Source folder with this one

And now I have a Bootable USB that can Install or even upgrade any Windows 10 PC to 11 regardless of TPM chips or secure boot options enabled or not, as seen on this old PC below with legacy boot and no TPM:

1627094390963.png

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
Easy, 3 registry edits and one copied file (the first two reg edits aren't really needed if you did the correct steps in settings, just do them anyway). Do step 6 after step 3.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsinsiders/comments/oa0cse
Thanks, that 3x registery edits actually worked better than the github enrollment tool which imho never worked.

1. Grab iso via uup
2. Did reg edits pre update
3. Finally, run setup setup within windows from extracted iso and renamed/deleted appraiserres.dll

1627112869502.png

Post upgrade/install, enrolled and now finally in dev channel. Hopefully this renders the above method moot as it is kinda meh having to grab, rename and run setup per preview build.

waynehooper

Ok that was easier than I thought

Used my ISO created via uup explained here
Created a bootable USB via Rufus
Replaced the appraiserres.dll on USB's Source folder with this one

And now I have a Bootable USB that can Install or even upgrade any Windows 10 PC to 11 regardless of TPM chips or secure boot options enabled or not, as seen on this old PC below with legacy boot and no TPM:
This did not work for me for a fresh Windows 11 install. From what I read it will work upgrading Win10 to Win11

I used the above, and information from another site that suggested copying the contents of the Sources folder on a Windows 10 ISO, except for the INSTALL.WIM file

Using that I got Win11 installed on my ancient i7 860 Pc

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
This did not work for me for a fresh Windows 11 install. From what I read it will work upgrading Win10 to Win11

I used the above, and information from another site that suggested copying the contents of the Sources folder on a Windows 10 ISO, except for the INSTALL.WIM file

Using that I got Win11 installed on my ancient i7 860 Pc

Fresh Install worked perfectly fine for me

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
I got the "this PC can't run windows 11 message" during the install - perhaps your hardware met the requirements for windows 11.

No it doesn't .... I should have mentioned I also got that message, but then ran the ".reg" file from usb with this info...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\LabConfig]

"BypassTPMCheck"=dword:00000001

"BypassSecureBootCheck"=dword:00000001

"BypassRAMCheck"=dword:00000001

So yea, I suppose you could argue the ISO doesn't work straight off the bat ;)

Nod

Executive Member
Source: https://www.theregister.com/2021/07/26/windows_11_comes_bearing_thaas/
Internet Explorer turned a 5 per cent market share against Netscape into a 90+ killer score by the simple expedient of getting integrated into Windows 95 through a service pack. Windows 11 is certainly very, very keen for you to use Edge, which as in Win 10 pops up in system search even if you make your default browser something else, but there's no sign it'll become anything more than the Chrome Install applet.

No, the new superweapon you'll get for free is Microsoft Teams, which is now super-snugly installed on the Windows 11 desktop and just a click away from easy-peasy sign-on to the Empire. Everything else that MS really wants you to use – OneDrive, Office 365, those blasted widgets – you can do away with. Teams? Ah, not so much. Teams is there, ostensibly, to talk to other people, and if they're on Teams you have to use it too. Documents, spreadsheets, files of all sorts – a OneDrive, Office 365 user can swap stuff with your Google Drive and apps.

agentrfr

Expert Member
the only thing that doesnt work on my FX8150 machine on windows 11 is fdpHOST service, so I cant view network machines. Everything else works flawlessly though
I reinstalled with 220000, and now fdpHOST is working

That's windows 11 on a 10 year old CPU, without secureboot or TPM and working flawlessly

I quite like the changes actually.

Next step: on a old laptop

agentrfr

Expert Member
For those wondering, you dont need to muck about with regedits to get win11 to install from fresh. Just follow these easy steps!
(You will be wiping the current HDD, so just be aware).
I'll make a youtube video guide for this later when official release of win11 is out to prove it works on old computers just fine

Also, if you wipe data from the wrong drive, it's your fault. Please use your discretion with the commands below. I dont take responsibility if you lose 20 years of photos because you selected the wrong drive.

Code:
1) Go to UUPdump.net to generate iso, and run the tool
2) Use Rufus portable to write the iso to a USB stick. Rufus should be smart enough to create a UEFI boot partition on the flash drive automatically
3) On the machine to receive win11, disable secureboot and forget secureboot keys if neccessary
4) Boot from the USB stick's UEFI partition, and you will be greeted by the windows 11 installer
5) Follow next, next, etc. until you get to the screen: "You cant install windows 11 on this machine"
6) Haha, windows is lying to you
7) Shift+F10 to launch cmd. Run the code in the cmd window without the quotation marks
8) Run "Diskpart" to start the disk partitioning tool
9) "List Disk" will list the logical volumes of the machine. You will see the interal hard drive and the USB drive. The hard drive is normally Disk 0, and the commands below will assume that it is Disk 0. Yours may be different, so use your brain
10) "Select Disk 0" This will select the hard drive you are installing windows onto (use your brain if you have multiple hard drives, or if drive 0 is not the one you want to boot from. This is the last warning I will give)
11) "Clean" This will completely wipe the drive. This is not reversable. Very last warning.
12) "Convert gpt" this will attempt to convert the partition map to GPT if it is MBR, otherwise it will just say that it is already GPT
13) "Create Part efi size=512"
14) "Format fs=fat32 quick"
15) "Assign letter q"
16) "Create par pri"
17) "For fs=ntfs quick"
18) "Assign letter r"
19)"List vol"
20) "exit"

From the "list vol" command above, all of the volumes will be listed. Please make a note of what is where. The target windows partition we assigned to "R" and the boot efi we assigned to "Q". The flash drive itself is another letter, and I will assume for the purposes of the following segment that it is "D" or "X". We will try the commands below with "X", but if yours is different, use the correct letters in the commands.

Now the drive is ready to accept windows 11. Next we use the microsoft deployment tool to install windows

Code:
Run the code in the cmd window without the quotation marks

"DISM /Get-ImageInfo /imagefile:X:\sources\install.wim" This will list all of the index versions of windows 11 on the flash drive, as you selected when you created the ISO using the UUP tool in the very first step. I will assume Index 1 is the version you want to install (in my case win11 pro)

"DISM /apply-image /imagefile:X:\sources\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:R:\"

Finally, you need to create the boot sector for the hard drive

Code:
bcdboot R:\Windows /s Q: /f ALL

Close the cmd window, and exit the installer. Haha, windows 11 is now installed. The GUI installer was lying to you.

Windows 11 is now ready to boot :)

Last edited:

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
I got the "this PC can't run windows 11 message" during the install - perhaps your hardware met the requirements for windows 11.

Thats why I copied the appraiserres.dll file I linked, into my USB's source folder ;)

It bypasses the checks.

ponder

Honorary Master
For those wondering, you dont need to muck about with regedits to get win11 to install from fresh. Just follow these easy steps!
(You will be wiping the current HDD, so just be aware).
I'll make a youtube video guide for this later when official release of win11 is out to prove it works on old computers just fine

Also, if you wipe data from the wrong drive, it's your fault. Please use your discretion with the commands below. I dont take responsibility if you lose 20 years of photos because you selected the wrong drive.

Code:
1) Go to UUPdump.net to generate iso, and run the tool
2) Use Rufus portable to write the iso to a USB stick. Rufus should be smart enough to create a UEFI boot partition on the flash drive automatically
3) On the machine to receive win11, disable secureboot and forget secureboot keys if neccessary
4) Boot from the USB stick's UEFI partition, and you will be greeted by the windows 11 installer
5) Follow next, next, etc. until you get to the screen: "You cant install windows 11 on this machine"
6) Haha, windows is lying to you
7) Shift+F10 to launch cmd. Run the code in the cmd window without the quotation marks
8) Run "Diskpart" to start the disk partitioning tool
9) "List Disk" will list the logical volumes of the machine. You will see the interal hard drive and the USB drive. The hard drive is normally Disk 0, and the commands below will assume that it is Disk 0. Yours may be different, so use your brain
10) "Select Disk 0" This will select the hard drive you are installing windows onto (use your brain if you have multiple hard drives, or if drive 0 is not the one you want to boot from. This is the last warning I will give)
11) "Clean" This will completely wipe the drive. This is not reversable. Very last warning.
12) "Convert gpt" this will attempt to convert the partition map to GPT if it is MBR, otherwise it will just say that it is already GPT
13) "Create Part efi size=512"
14) "Format fs=fat32 quick"
15) "Assign letter q"
16) "Create par pri"
17) "For fs=ntfs quick"
18) "Assign letter r"
19)"List vol"
20) "exit"

From the "list vol" command above, all of the volumes will be listed. Please make a note of what is where. The target windows partition we assigned to "R" and the boot efi we assigned to "Q". The flash drive itself is another letter, and I will assume for the purposes of the following segment that it is "D" or "X". We will try the commands below with "X", but if yours is different, use the correct letters in the commands.

Now the drive is ready to accept windows 11. Next we use the microsoft deployment tool to install windows

Code:
Run the code in the cmd window without the quotation marks

"DISM /Get-ImageInfo /imagefile:X:\sources\install.wim" This will list all of the index versions of windows 11 on the flash drive, as you selected when you created the ISO using the UUP tool in the very first step. I will assume Index 1 is the version you want to install (in my case win11 pro)

"DISM /apply-image /imagefile:X:\sources\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:R:\"

Finally, you need to create the boot sector for the hard drive

Code:
bcdboot R:\Windows /s Q: /f ALL

Close the cmd window, and exit the installer. Haha, windows 11 is now installed. The GUI installer was lying to you.

Windows 11 is now ready to boot :)

How is that simpler/easier than 3 reg edits?

agentrfr

Expert Member
I said for those that dont want to muck with the registry, I never said it was easier :ROFL:

This way I feel more confident since you're in control of each step, and you know exactly what is happening. I know there are reg files or dll replacements you can do to the iso, but I feel better doing it this way manually

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
OK this sucks....

Windows 11 dropped the folder icon image in Windows Explorer if you have a "folder.jpg" inside it

Use to have my mp3's in folders named after the CD/LP with the cover as a Jpeg named folder.jpg when navigating music I use to see album covers now its just bland

1627648538894.png
1627648738916.png

Last edited:

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
OK this sucks....

Windows 11 dropped the folder icon image in Windows Explorer if you have a "folder.jpg" inside it

Use to have my mp3's in folders named after the CD/LP with the cover as a Jpeg named folder.jpg when navigating music I use to see album covers now its just bland

View attachment 1117340
View attachment 1117342

Yip ...