Windows 11 Support Thread

rambo919

Honorary Master
Microsoft won’t stop you installing Windows 11 on older PCs - The Verge
Windows 11 will run on older CPUs
I am beginning to think the real reason they are doing this is to get out of having to give free upgrades.

Older CPU's are supported but basically only with newer or new licenses? This way they can void older ranges of keys without looking too bad.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
Anyone found a way to access Linux (Guest) anonymous shares via Windows 11?

Worked fine in Windows 10 :(

And yes SMB 1.0 is installed

1630396697812.png

Ivan Leon

Expert Member

Windows 11 Launches Oct. 5: Here Are the PCs That Will Get It First - Gizmodo​

Microsoft has released a list of "new eligible devices" that will be at the front of the Windows 11 line.

1630423272304.png

We’re getting closer to a Windows 11 launch date: Microsoft announced that the next generation of its operating system for PCs will begin rolling out as a free upgrade beginning Oct. 5.

The company is staggering the Windows 11 rollout, so you may not see the option to upgrade on day one. In a blog post announcing the launch date, Windows marketing chief Aaron Woodman said “new eligible devices will be offered the upgrade first.”

Those devices include: Acer Swift 5, Acer Swift X, Asus Zenbook Flip 13 OLED, Asus Zenbook 14, Alienware X15, Alienware X17, Dell XPS 13, HP Spectre x360 14, HP Envy x360 15, Lenovo Yoga 7, Lenovo Yoga Slim 7i Pro, Samsung Galaxy Book Pro, Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 360, and Microsoft’s own Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 4.

Windows 11 will continue to roll out to supported devices through mid-2022, and Woodman said Microsoft will take into account “hardware eligibility, reliability metrics, age of device, and other factors that impact the upgrade experience” when figuring out which devices to prioritize during the rollout.

Windows Update will pop up to alert you when your PC can install the upgrade, and you can also click through Settings, Windows Update, and then select Check for updates to see if your PC is ready.

Microsoft is prepping to release a new PC Health Check app, currently available for Windows Insiders, for all PC users to check their machines’ Windows 11 eligibility.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
^ I actually feel it's way to soon ... plenty teething problems still

Totally agree, I see loads of problems coming, esp with their "secure" way of doing things.

Today I found that Windows 11 totally block any and all means of connecting to Windows 98/Older Linux SMB shares (Well lets just say I haven't found a way to get it working)

Even this change doesn't fix it anymore:

1630431016208.png

Not to even get me started in trying to disable IPv6 and such....

Also the fact that some crap is still only accessible via the Control Panel that they pretend doesn't exist anymore.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
^ did you also try this one together with that LAN manger setting ...

As per THIS which I think I posted before ?

Will check tomorrow when at work, but pretty sure that was set, Like I said, could access before the Windows 11 Upgrade. Remember the dance with 1709 update.... this is Part 2 by the looks off things.

Problem is the Linux share is on an old wood cutter and I have Windows 98 systems driving R1 million CNC cutters... ie: no chance of upgrading them. So if my users cant access the systems via Windows 11, I cant OK the October update on WSUS.

In corporate environment sure upgrade cause PC's are cheap, on a factory floor upgrading is not always that easy. Hardware is a tad more pricy ;)

Edit: One workaround Is to Install an older WIndows virtual PC on Server as intermediate, but thats beyond the point was just trying to highlight that there is still teething problems, some I guess I haven't even found yet....

Last edited:

Ivan Leon

Expert Member

How to download and clean install Windows 11 on a spare PC (preview) - Windows Central​

1630469961266.png

You can now test the latest preview of Windows 11 using a clean installation, and in this guide, we'll show you everything you need to do to complete the task.

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
Found the problem

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\

AllowInsecureGuestAuth was missing so had to add and set it manually via regedit.

Glad you got it sorted .... could you not have set that via gpedit like I posted ?

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
Glad you got it sorted .... could you not have set that via gpedit like I posted ?

Was already set as per the Windows 10 Install, so don't know if Windows 11 upgrade ignored the setting or removed registry id.

IE: will have to see what happens when you set it on a fresh install, if it also ignores gpedit settings.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
Some Windows 11 PCs Are Being Forced Back to Windows 10 - How-To Geek

1630516268106.png

A lot of people have been testing Windows 11 through Microsoft’s Windows Insider Program. However, some of them are being forced back to Windows 10 because they previewed the OS on 'unsupported hardware'.

When Microsoft first launched the Windows 11 Insider Program, the system requirements for Windows 11 weren’t fully locked down. As such, Microsoft wasn’t as strict about who could use it.

Now that those requirements are all set, the company is alerting testers on unsupported hardware that it’s time to go back to Windows 10.

Basically, when you try to update Windows 11, you’ll see a warning that you need to go back to Windows 10.

This doesn’t come as a huge surprise.

Microsoft allowed Windows Insiders who were already testing previous Windows 10 builds to beta test Windows 11 even if their system wasn’t ready for the OS according to Microsoft’s system requirements.

If you see this message, you’ll need to go back to Windows 10 using an ISO, which means you need to do an in-place downgrade back to the previous version of the OS.

If it’s been less than 10 days since you upgraded to Windows 11, you can do the more straightforward rollback process, which will make sure you keep all of your stuff.

In theory, you could keep running the Windows 11 build you currently have installed, but then you wouldn’t receive any critical updates.

Though that seems in line with Microsoft’s plan when Windows 11 launches, as the company has implied that even though you can install Windows 11 with an ISO on unsupported PCs, it might withhold critical updates.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member

Microsoft is kicking unsupported PCs out of Windows 11 testing - The Verge​

Some Windows 11 testers will need to reinstall Windows 10

1630517690568.png

Microsoft is starting to drop PCs from its Windows Insider testing program that are ineligible to upgrade to Windows 11.

If you’ve been helping Microsoft test Windows 11 on a machine that doesn’t meet the minimum hardware requirements, you’ll likely see a message in Windows Update warning that you’ll need to reinstall Windows 10.

2021-09-01 Windows 11 Insider Preview Message.jpg

“Your PC does not meet the minimum hardware requirements for Windows 11,” says Microsoft’s warning. “Your device is not eligible to join the Windows Insider Program on Windows 11. Please install Windows 10 to participate in the Windows Insider Program in the Release Preview Channel.”

Windows 11 testers in both the Dev and Beta channels have started receiving the message on incompatible PCs this week, just as Microsoft has announced its October 5th release date for the upcoming OS.

It’s something that Microsoft warned testers would happen at the beginning of the beta period of Windows 11, but it still highlights the often confusing minimum hardware requirements that Microsoft has set.

ponder

Honorary Master
I'm experiencing two major issues so far, Edge & MS explorer becoming unresponsive with a message to wait or kill the app.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
Just finished downloading & about to install this 2021-08 Cumulative Update for Windows (KB5006050)...

1630607842041.png

1630608929216.png

Last edited:

Ivan Leon

Expert Member

Microsoft Made It Harder to Unpin Windows 11’s Default Taskbar Buttons - How-To Geek​

1630609789450.png

Microsoft has just released Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22000.176 to the Beta Channel, and it comes with some fabulous new goodies, such as a redesign to the Library UI in the Microsoft Store. It also removes the quick and easy option to unpin Windows 11 default taskbar buttons.

Removing Default Taskbar Buttons in Windows 11​

Microsoft has a bunch of options pinned to the Windows 11 taskbar by default. You can quickly access Search, Task View, Widgets, and Chat. But not everyone wants to have these pinned to their taskbar at all times, and Windows 11 came with a handy right-click to unpin option that made getting rid of them quick and painless.

In the latest build, Microsoft nixed the right-click option, forcing users to go to Windows 11 Settings to change the items on the taskbar. Is going to Settings really that hard? No, of course not, but it just seems odd for Microsoft to remove the more straightforward method in favour of a more roundabout one. That’s hardly improving the user experience.

Now, you’ll need to right-click on the Taskbar and select “Taskbar settings” to open the menu that lets you change which default Windows tools are pinned. Again, it’s not a huge change, and it’s still relatively easy, but it’s an added step for seemingly no reason.

What Else is New in Windows 11 Insider Build 22000.176?​

Outside of the odd taskbar decision, this update brings all the usual bug fixes and tweaks.

The most significant other change comes to the Microsoft Store. It’s getting a complete visual overhaul of the Library UI, with simpler navigation and better performance. Microsoft also updated the Spotlight design for promoted products in the Store.

This is not a game-changing update, but it’s another step closer to the final Windows 11 release on October 5.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Anyone found a way to access Linux (Guest) anonymous shares via Windows 11?

Worked fine in Windows 10 :(

And yes SMB 1.0 is installed

View attachment 1137510
Why are you using SMB v1.0? Do you still have an XP machine connected? If you can't replace the windows machine, set up another and have it use scp/sftp or something else to copy over to that machine, don't run a network share with something that hasn't had a security patch in 7 years. You really, really need to upgrade/swap that machine or at least no network connection, even doing scp/sftp isn't great as it means it's exposed to external devices.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member

Microsoft moves Windows 11 testers in the Dev channel to pre-release builds - XDA​

1630646235352.png

Today, Microsoft is releasing Windows 11 Insider Preview build 22449 to the Dev channel.

That means that those Insiders are no longer getting cumulative updates for the RTM build of Windows 11.

It also means that once you install this build, you’ll have to do a clean installation of Windows if you want to roll back.

Microsoft has been warning that this will happen for a while.

If you were one of those people that just wanted to test out Windows 11, the Beta channel is more your speed.

Because once the OS ships, Beta channel Insiders can just switch over to production.

In fact, everyone should be on Beta right now.

You can always switch back to Dev if there’s something you want, but you can’t easily go to Beta now.

And with Windows 11 build 22449, there isn’t even much that’s new. The only listed change is behaviour for SMB compression.

Here’s the full changelog.