Windows 11 Support Thread

Ivan Leon

Expert Member

Microsoft Is Polishing Windows 11 Ahead of Release - How-To Geek​

1631248779214.png

We’re rapidly approaching the release of Windows 11, and Microsoft is making its final tweaks and adjustments to the OS in the latest Beta and Dev builds for Windows Insiders. While there aren’t many new features, some nice polish makes Windows 11 look great.

This is definitely not a game-changing Windows 11 update for the Dev channel, but it does give several portions of the OS a nice visual upgrade.

Now, when you right-click on the Recycle Bin on the desktop, you’ll now see the new modern context menu instead of the older one that looked incredibly out of place.

Microsoft is releasing an updated version of the Korean IME with adjustments made based on Windows Insider feedback.

The company is also rolling out some fixes, such as making it so the Windows Terminal is listed again when right-clicking on the Start button.

The company also fixed the Narrator, making it so it should announce the Start launch more reliably now.

The update also includes fixes for input problems some Insiders were facing, Taskbar fixes, problems with File Explorer, and plenty of other small polishes.

Again, this isn’t an update that’s pushing new features to Windows 11, but rather it’s about cleaning up some problems and making sure Windows 11 is ready for primetime.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
Latest 2021-09 Cumulative update for non-compliant Insider builds (KB5005642) is now available:

1631248959581.png

Now Updated to Build 22000.184 as well.

1631251417552.png

Last edited:

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
Those on 22449, can you make the taskbar small on the fly yet? and is it possible to have quick launch as a taskbar?

Screenshot_4.jpg

Ivan Leon

Expert Member

Microsoft releases first ISOs for Windows 11 vNext - XDA​

Earlier this week, Microsoft released Windows 11 Insider Preview build 22454, the second Dev channel build since it split away from the Beta channel. Now, you can download an official ISO of the build.

The company is now offering official Insider ISO images for Windows 11 build 22454, build 22000.132, and Windows 10 build 19044.1202.

This is the first time that Microsoft has released ISO images for Windows 11 vNext. It’s not explicitly tied to the next version of the OS, which is due out next fall, but it’s a pre-release build.

That’s how the Dev channel works. It exists to test out new features under a perpetual state of ‘vNext’.

It’s also notable that Windows 10 build 19044 is available in ISO format, as that’s a preview build of Windows 10 version 21H2. That means that this is the only way to enroll your machine in 21H2 testing.

You see, Microsoft started seeding builds to the Release Preview channel, but it’s only for those that had been kicked off of the Beta channel for not meeting the Windows 11 requirements.

Unless you were in the Beta channel on June 24 and got kicked off, there’s no way to enroll. Now, at least you can install the ISO if you want it.

Obviously, ISO images can be useful if you want to do a clean installation of the OS. So now, if you want to get your hands on Windows 11 vNext, you don’t have to install Windows 11 and then enroll in the Dev channel. You can just download the ISO and start fresh.

As usual, there are three editions of Windows 11 (or Windows 10) that you can download. Those include Windows 11, Windows 11 Enterprise, and Windows 11 Home China.

And of course, those three come from three channels, including Dev, Beta, and Release Preview.

You can download the Windows 11 Insider Preview ISOs here.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
Those on the Beta Channel (with PC's unable to meet the TPM / CPU requirements) have a new update as well:

1631936944945.png

Ivan Leon

Expert Member

Windows 11: Everything you need to know - Android Authority​

All your Windows 11 questions, answered.

1632455734949.png

Windows 11 is the latest iteration of the world’s most popular PC operating system. Microsoft revealed Windows 11 a few weeks ago, and the OS is currently in beta through the Windows Insider Program.

With the final release of Windows 11 set to arrive later in 2021, the beta releases are slowly releasing the promised features to the insiders.

Being a major release, Windows 11 has a lot of questions surrounding it. Ranging from whether it will cost you anything to whether it has any features that will make your life easier, we have all the answers for you here.

Here’s all you need to know about Windows 11!

Ivan Leon

Expert Member

We've had a clearer look at Microsoft Teams 2.0 - TechRadar​

New Edge-based Teams app provides improved performance on desktop

1632456109466.png

With the release of Windows 11 next month, Microsoft Teams is getting a visual makeover as well as a whole new app based on Microsoft Edge.

As reported by Windows Latest, the software giant's new video conferencing client is currently being referred to as Microsoft Teams 2.0 and will be more heavily integrated into the next major Windows release.

A new update is currently rolling out for Teams 2.0 that finally enables support for Mica in Windows 11.

For those unfamiliar, Mica is an opaque and dynamic material that applies both a user's theme and desktop wallpaper to the background of active windows.

According to Microsoft, Mica was designed with improved performance and it is generally faster than the company's Fluent Design acrylic effect.

While users running a mobile workstation or high-end PC won't have to worry, those with lower-end hardware or using battery saver mode on their laptop won't be able to use the Mica effect in Microsoft Teams or other Windows software.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Edge crashes, explorer at times unresponsive then comes right, laggy feel to the ui
Also seen that in my testing. Explorer and Start hangs occasionally on Gen 7 and 8 Intel chips, there's still a memory leak in the latest drivers, DWM has its own memory leak that isn't fixed, and sometimes multi-monitor setups will bog down the animations.

Not to mention that badly formed Microsoft adverts in the Start menu or Widgets pane can make the UI janky and unusable, and search is still very bad compared to Windows 7.

ponder

Honorary Master
Also seen that in my testing. Explorer and Start hangs occasionally

Forgot to mention start menu, click on it a nothing happens. I'm happier on win10, I might just use the win11 theme on it after creating a restore point.

Kung Fu Porkchop

Expert Member
Edge crashes, explorer at times unresponsive then comes right, laggy feel to the ui
I've had similar issues, but I upgraded from Win 10 to 11. Feels like the UI sometimes stutters and then just bombs out. Wiped last and did a clean install. Haven't had any issues so far

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
I've had similar issues, but I upgraded from Win 10 to 11. Feels like the UI sometimes stutters and then just bombs out. Wiped last and did a clean install. Haven't had any issues so far

Always, and I mean always, do clean installs. Microsoft might put dll's and such in proper places, doesn't mean 3rd party does, and upgrades forever break em.

Only time I run upgrades, is when testing like now.... when I goto Windows 11 Final I'll still clean install

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic

This is why you never upgrade from one main version of Windows to another, always some issue.