Windows 11 Support Thread

Kung Fu Porkchop

Expert Member
Always, and I mean always, do clean installs. Microsoft might put dll's and such in proper places, doesn't mean 3rd party does, and upgrades forever break em.

Only time I run upgrades, is when testing like now.... when I goto Windows 11 Final I'll still clean install
Apparently, I just like struggling :ROFL: But seriously, it's something that I have to do because somewhere down the line a computer at work is going to take the upgrade route and that person is going to look in my direction when there's a problem. Troubleshooting can be fun, even if it is tedious

Ivan Leon

Expert Member

Windows 11 update requirements will exclude the people who need to use it most - Techradar​

Great security, if you can run it

1633110387559.png

The Windows 11 requirements have caused some debate over the last few weeks, but if you were looking forward to updating to the new operating system on an enterprise device.

A survey from Lansweeper that gathered data from around 30 million PCs across 60,000 organizations has discovered that the majority of devices don't meet the system requirements set by Microsoft for its upcoming Windows 11 browser.

As reported by Neowin, the Windows 11 Readiness Audit revealed that over 55% don't use a supported CPU to run the OS, with an additional 19% of laptops and PCs surveyed failing to meet the controversial TPM 2.0 requirement.

Unless companies are planning to distribute new laptops and PCs with Windows 11 preinstalled, chances are you won't be getting Microsoft's latest OS on your work devices any time soon, which is disappointing, as enterprises and large organizations are likely to be the customers who want to prioritize security.

Thankfully, Windows 10 will receive support and updates until 2025 so there's no need for a scramble to buy up new office equipment, but Microsoft is firmly putting the responsibility of security onto it's customers by mandating such lofty hardware requirements.

Is there a workaround in place to use Windows 11?​

Microsoft has made it clear that if you proceed with installing Windows 11 on a device that doesn't meet the system requirements, it's likely that you won't receive updates and future support will be dropped.

In some cases, you might also have to sign a waiver that asks you to acknowledge that all damages to your PC due to a lack of compatibility will not be covered under your manufacturer's warranty.

That said, there are ways to access Windows 11 mon an incompatible device if you're feeling a bit naughty.

Earlier this week we reported that a GitHub project is available contains a script called 'Skip_TPM_Check_on_Dynamic_Update.cmd,' which will allow the Windows 11 installer to ignore if your system doesn't have a TPM 2.0, which appears to be the most common reason for device incompatibility.

The script doesn't just remove the TPM 2.0 limitation, but can also force the installer to ignore other issues that don't meet the system requirements, such as available storage space, though it's unlikely your employer will be happy for you to try this route given its risks.

callvm

I guess Micro$oft is assuming that by the time Windows 10 is EOL, most PC's will be Windows 11 compatible. Pretty bold

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
Ok Looks like we reaching the end of "bug fixes"

This update seem to have brought a couple of "experience enhancements" cause its look/feels more complete as in animations added and smoothed out.

VooDooC

Expert Member
TPM chips are quite rare, only a few online retailers have them and I'm not sure if an MSI TPM chip would be compatible with an ASUS MB. Not in too much of a hurry to upgrade anyways, will wait for a few more releases before considering, and that's if I can get a TPM chip.

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
TPM chips are quite rare, only a few online retailers have them and I'm not sure if an MSI TPM chip would be compatible with an ASUS MB. Not in too much of a hurry to upgrade anyways, will wait for a few more releases before considering, and that's if I can get a TPM chip.

+1 most only stock the 12 pin modules ... my board is still the older 20pin version :X3:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I'm gonna try and get this running on an old AMD A10 APU, it does have secure boot and TPM 2.0, but the processor is too old according to M$.

Bobbin

Executive Member
Upgrade via Install Assistant fails on my work laptop despite TPM 2.0 enabled and secure boot turned on. Oh well.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Those on Windows 10 that meet the requirements and don't want to wait for the update to come at a random time.

Windows 11 Installation Assistant is what you want to upgrade to Windows 11. :cool:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Warning if you do a clean install and have Windows 10 on another drive in your PC - Windows 11 will find that Windows Boot Manager and insert itself as an option.

I have my work VM run off a physical NVMe drive that I set as offline in my old Windows 10 main setup. My drive numbers were Drive 0 = HDD data drive, Drive 1 = NVMe work drive, Drive 2 = NVMe main drive.

Will still have to see what drive 1 does when I have Hyper V going in Windows 11.

VoodooBean

So um, like why can't I download it ? I meet all the requirements, have done that Windows 11 check thingy but I get no option under updates or even any mention of it available for me to download, everyone else seems to be getting theirs :(