Windows 11 Support Thread

Ivan Leon

Expert Member

Announcing Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22449 - Windows Blogs​

UPDATE 7:10PM PDT: Recently, Windows Insiders in both the Dev and Beta Channels began reporting that Start and Taskbar were unresponsive and Settings and other areas of the OS wouldn’t load.

We quickly discovered an issue with a server-side deployment that went out to Insiders and cancelled that deployment.

If you were impacted by this issue, you can use the following steps to get back into a working state on your PC.

• Step 1: Use CTRL-ALT-DEL and choose to open Task Manager.
  • Step 2: Choose “More details” at the bottom of Task Manager to expand Task Manager.
  • Step 3: Go to “File” and choose “Run new task”.
  • Step 4: Type “cmd” in the “Open” field.
  • Step 5: Paste the following (everything in bold):
    reg delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\IrisService /f && shutdown -r -t 0
  • Step 6: Hit enter, and then your PC should reboot. After rebooting, everything should be back to normal.
Hello Windows Insiders, today we are releasing Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22449 to the Dev Channel.

You may notice that this build number is higher than the Windows 11 preview builds you’ve been receiving.
That’s because we’re moving the Dev Channel back to receiving builds from our active development branch (RS_PRERELEASE).

This means the builds released to the Dev Channel no longer match the Windows 11 experience that will be released to customers on October 5th.

These builds are from the earliest stage in a new development cycle with the latest work-in-progress code from our engineers. These aren’t always stable builds, and sometimes you will see issues that block key activities or require workarounds while flighting in the Dev Channel.

It is important to make sure you read the known issues listed in our blog posts as we document many of these issues with each flight. Because of being at the earliest stage of a new development cycle, you won’t see new features or major changes in these builds right away.

These builds are also not matched to a specific release. New features and OS improvements from these builds could show up in future Windows releases when they’re ready, and we may deliver them as full OS updates or servicing releases.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member

Windows 11 Build 22000.176 (KB5006050) is out with improvements - Windows Latest​

1630646613174.png

Windows 11 Build 22000.176 (KB5006050) has been released to testers in the Beta Channel of the Windows Insider program.

This cumulative update is also available for unsupported hardware in the Dev Channel, and it comes with various bug fixes and improvements. No new features are included in the update.

The patch is titled “2021-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5006050)” and it is essentially the same release as previous updates with a strong focus on bug fixes and improvements. For example, Microsoft has patched an issue that resulted in Bluetooth LE connectivity issues.

Windows 11 KB5006050 has also fixed an issue that was causing Bluetooth reliability issues and Blue Screen of Death errors. We’re also getting a fix for unexpected errors when trying to take pictures with certain USB cameras. In addition to these bug fixes, Microsoft has also included improvements for the taskbar in this patch.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member

Windows 11 update is crashing Start Menu, Taskbar, Explorer and more - Windows Latest​

1630647524491.png

Windows 11’s latest preview release appears to be causing a whole host of serious problems for several users, including unresponsive Start Menu, Taskbar, Explorer.exe, Windows Settings, and other critical bits of the operating system seemingly disappearing or broken.

This is happening to those who have installed Windows 11 Build 22000.176 or Build 22449, which are the latest round of preview updates for Beta and Dev channel respectively.

There is a range of different issues reported by testers on the Feedback Hub and our forum, but it appears that the tech giant has rolled out a server-side fix.

At the moment, it’s not clear how widespread these Start Menu and taskbar gremlins in the operating system might be.

In some cases, users are reporting that the Taskbar and Start menu are totally blank, and an hourglass is displayed when users move the cursor closer to the taskbar.

“In the new version, after start-up, the taskbar disappears. After restart, the machine runs slowly and the taskbar is stuck.

Repeated restarts are still invalid, any software can not be operated, and some shortcut keys are invalid,” a user noted in the Feedback Hub and there are similar complaints on our forum.

Computer_says_no.jpg

Ivan Leon

Expert Member

Microsoft makes Windows 10 21H2 and Windows 11 previews available for commercial testing - ZDNet

Microsoft is making previews of both Windows 10 21H2 and Windows 11 available to business customers for testing and validation ahead of their fall launches. Here's how to test these now.

1630663510054.png

In anticipation of the fall releases of both Windows 10 21H2 and Windows 11, Microsoft is making commercial previews of both operating system releases available to businesses for testing through the Windows Insider Program for Business.

Organizations enrolled in that program can access these OS builds through Windows Update, Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), Azure Marketplace and the Windows Insider Program ISO download page as of today, September 2.

Microsoft is providing free support for businesses who want to test and validate these builds so companies can make sure of a smooth rollout ahead of general availability.

Microsoft plans to make Windows 11 generally available between October 5 and mid-2022.

Officials haven't provided a release date for Windows 10 21H2, but it's likely around October 2021.

Officials said commercial devices in the Windows Insider Release Preview Channel will automatically be offered Windows 11 as an optional upgrade via Windows Update or a Windows Update for Business policy.

Only devices that meet the Windows 11 hardware requirements and which have the September 1 2021 optional cumulative update KB5005101 installed will get Windows 11 this way.

Users who don't want particular devices to go to Windows 11 will be able to select "Stay on Windows 10 for now" when offered the release.

By doing this, they will see the option to install Windows 10 21H2 instead.

In addition, any commercial devices in the Release Preview Channel that don't meet the necessary Windows 11 hardware requirements also will have the option to go to Windows 10 21H2 automatically instead.

"Both previews are completely optional," officials noted. "You can choose to remain on your current version of Windows and continue to receive preview builds of quality updates for that version."

Windows 10 21H2 won't offer many new features when it ships later this year.

Microsoft officials said the Windows 10 21H2 features will include:

* WPA3 H2E standards support for enhanced Wi-Fi security

* Windows Hello for Business support for simplified passwordless deployment models for achieving a deploy-to-run state within a few minutes

* GPU compute support in the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) and Azure IoT Edge for Linux on Windows (EFLOW) deployments for machine learning and other compute-intensive workflows

Microsoft began testing Windows 10 21H2 with Insiders in mid-July.

Attachments

• 1630663454304.png
    1630663454304.png
    341.2 KB · Views: 26

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I see Valorant is now effectively using Windows 11 as an anti-cheat :ROFL:

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
My i5 desktop doesn't get the option to update? (Suspect lack of TPM?)
View attachment 1142374
Or could be cause its N

Laptop now on:
View attachment 1142372
For those 'edge' cases I download, build and run my own patches directly from the update files via uup

e.g.

1. https://uupdump.net/selectlang.php?id=10776829-5b5f-45ed-b3a6-8ee91216a207
2. Next
3. Keep Windows Pro tickted
4. Next
5. Browse the list of updates (button, right under additional updates)
6. Download and rename to correct files the ssu, two cab files and psf (pic 01)
7. Use W10UI_10.6 (Windows NT 10.0 Updates Installer. pic 02):
a) copy those files over to its folder
b) run the W10UI.cmd as admin
c) press 0 to start the process
d) wait and reboot
e) cleanup W10UI_10.6's folder

1630950790420.png

1630950820300.png

edit: but you were actually talking about .1000 and not .176

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
My i5 desktop doesn't get the option to update? (Suspect lack of TPM?)
View attachment 1142374
Or could be cause its N

Laptop now on:
View attachment 1142372

If you check the Insider Programme options for the Windows Update menu in Settings for your i5 desktop, you will see this message informing you of the following - I got this on my i7-3700 desktop when I checked just now, as I am also still stuck on Build 22000.176 as well:

1630986703659.png

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
If you check the Insider Programme options for the Windows Update menu in Settings for your i5 desktop, you will see this message informing you of the following - I got this on my i7-3700 desktop when I checked just now, as I am also still stuck on Build 22000.176 as well:

View attachment 1142468

Yeah, like I said, I suspect the lack of TPM ;)

WIll check for above when I get home tonight to confirm. I hope there is a way to continue with Official release when it comes out cause I don't feel like re-installing Windows 10 on that PC. Too much effort :D

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
Yeah, like I said, I suspect the lack of TPM ;)

WIll check for above when I get home tonight to confirm. I hope there is a way to continue with Official release when it comes out cause I don't feel like re-installing Windows 10 on that PC. Too much effort :D
You would probably be able to do a in-place upgrade, that is having the iso ready (extracted) on your harddrive and then finally running setup from within windows 11. I've updated with this method from .176 to .1000 last night on my non-2.0tpm laptop without an issue. It isn't really 'work' when you use the uup setup > rename one dll > run setup.exe within windows.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
You would probably be able to do a in-place upgrade, that is having the iso ready (extracted) on your harddrive and then finally running setup from within windows 11. I've updated with this method from .176 to .1000 last night on my non-2.0tpm laptop without an issue. It isn't really 'work' when you use the uup setup > rename one dll > run setup.exe within windows.

All to do it again on official release.. naaa I'll wait till then and run it then.... if I can.

ponder

Honorary Master
All to do it again on official release.. naaa I'll wait till then and run it then.... if I can.

I don't think this will work after release date. I'm just gonna wait & see...

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
Ooookay?

My i5 that was stuck on 22000.176 just got updated to 22000.184

Hmmm.

Guess 22449 branch is not the only "thing"

Good evening friends! Microsoft has released a new Windows 11 preview build 22000.184 (KB5005642) for Windows Insider members using the Beta channel.

Bug fixes​

• We fixed an issue where new Windows Hello information in OOBE (during the initial system setup phase) was not translated into languages other than English.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in a small number of languages lacking translation in the Windows 11 UI.

Known Issues​

• Investigated feedback from insiders on the Beta channel that after upgrading to Windows 11, the system does not have a new taskbar and the Start menu does not work. As a workaround, you can try going to Windows Update -> Update History, uninstall the latest Windows cumulative update and reinstall it after checking for updates.
  • Engineers are working to fix an issue that causes a GSOD with the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR error to appear on some Surface Pro X devices.
  • "Start":
    • In some cases, you may not be able to enter text when using search from the Start menu or taskbar. If you have this problem, press WIN + R to open the Run dialog box and then close it.
    • Elements "System" and Windows Terminal are missing in the context menu, which is invoked by right-clicking on the "Start" button (WIN + X).
  • Task bar:
    • The taskbar sometimes flickers when switching keyboard layouts or input methods.
  • Search:
    • After clicking on the icon on the taskbar, the search bar may not open. In this case, restart the "Explorer" process, and then reopen "Search".
    • The search bar may appear black and may not display any content below the search box.
  • Widgets:
    • The widget panel may be empty. To work around the problem, you can log out and then log back in.
    • On external monitors, widgets may be incorrectly sized. If you encounter this, then you can launch widgets using the touch screen or the WIN + W combination on the main monitor, and then launch them on the secondary monitor.
  • Shop:
    • Microsoft is working to improve the relevance of store searches.
  • Windows Sandbox:
    • The window for switching keyboard layouts does not open when you click on the corresponding icon on the taskbar. As a workaround, you can switch the language using any of the following keyboard shortcuts on your hardware keyboard: Alt + Shift, Ctrl + Shift, or Win + Space (the third option is only available in Windows Sandbox full screen mode).
    • The IME context menu does not open after clicking on the IME icon in the taskbar. As a workaround, you can access the IME context menu functions in one of the following ways:
      • Opening "Options" -> "Time and language" -> "Language and region" and clicking on the three dots next to the desired language (for example, Japanese). Then select Language Options (eg Microsoft IME) -> Ellipsis -> Keyboard Options.
      • Optionally, you can enable the IME toolbar, which is an alternative user interface for quickly accessing certain IME functions. Follow the instructions above and then go to Keyboard Options -> Appearance -> Use IME Toolbar.
      • Or, you can use unique keyboard shortcuts that are associated with each language that supports Japanese IME Shortcuts ( Traditional Chinese IME Shortcuts ).

Edit: Wait a minute... is it not the dif between Beta and Dev channel. My laptop is on Dev and my desktop on Beta.

Last edited: