Windows 7 Issues

Keeper

Honorary Master
Ok, i'm not talking about driver issues or old software that doesn't work, i'm talking about with the Windows 7 OS itself.

Sometimes when I open folders containing lots (50) of video files, I see a green bar loading at the top of the screen (the file path) which loads for a long time.
And Sometimes when I even click on a folder with 1 single movie in it, it needs to load - for what? why???

it just seems the OS is a lot less responsive when navigating around, moving and deleting files.

a lot of the time when viewing a series or something, the video pauses for 5 seconds.
It's not a slow hard drive thing as this now suddenly happens on all drives. WTF?

i've got a pretty neat system here and i'm thinking of going back to Xp again....which i don't want, but this is getting irretating (Especially the loading when navigating through folders)

Anyone else experiencing this?? :(

Running:
Windows 7 (7000) 64-Bit - RC1 I think it is ?
Q6600, 2 GB Ram, 4870X2

Keeper

Honorary Master
well, does the newer version have this greenbar loading thing as well?

Isengard

The green bar is Windows creating thumbnails for the videos. I'd like to know if that can be turned off.

gifs

Expert Member
It has the greenbar thing. only place i have seen it, is when you have a folder with lots of files, like movies, then the OS loads all the thumbnails and file information. But it is really not slow or unresponsive, quite the opposite.

As said previously, try the RC version (7100), I think you still have the beta version.

texo

Expert Member
The green bar is Windows creating thumbnails for the videos. I'd like to know if that can be turned off.
Yes it can: control panel > system > adjust the appearance and performance of windows > deselect "Show thumbnails instead of icons"

Grouter

Expert Member
Ok, i'm not talking about driver issues or old software that doesn't work, i'm talking about with the Windows 7 OS itself.

Sometimes when I open folders containing lots (50) of video files, I see a green bar loading at the top of the screen (the file path) which loads for a long time.
And Sometimes when I even click on a folder with 1 single movie in it, it needs to load - for what? why???

it just seems the OS is a lot less responsive when navigating around, moving and deleting files.

a lot of the time when viewing a series or something, the video pauses for 5 seconds.
It's not a slow hard drive thing as this now suddenly happens on all drives. WTF?

i've got a pretty neat system here and i'm thinking of going back to Xp again....which i don't want, but this is getting irretating (Especially the loading when navigating through folders)

Anyone else experiencing this?? :(

Running:
Windows 7 (7000) 64-Bit - RC1 I think it is ?
Q6600, 2 GB Ram, 4870X2
Welcome to Vista SP3 - IMHO that's essentially all Win7 is. My Vista SP2 runs better on the same rig than Win7 (and it's been installed untouched for over two years) - I prefer it to be honest. I wouldn't be at all surprised if in a couple of years time some MS insider lets the cat out of the bag and admits "Yeah, we just tweaked vista a bit more, changed the taskbar, and called it 7. The suckers never noticed"

You heard it here first.

Edit: The green bar? Get over it. Been living with the green bar for years. Worst when browsing the network. It's windows searching. More memory helps, as does allowing vista / 7 to build up it's thumbnail cache. It gets quicker over time. Trust me.

Last edited:

killadoob

Honorary Master
Windows 7 is slow on your machine? ok then moving along.

Keeper try a fresh install man, i have loads of video's in my folders and i don't even get the thing, loads instantly and i am talking tons of movies even my pictures loads instantly, granted i have an ssd.

Does this happen when you have just got back to the pc or what?

The_Techie

Resident Techie
Try the RC1 release (7100), I've heard similar reports about the 7000 release.

froot

Honorary Master
Try the RC1 release (7100), I've heard similar reports about the 7000 release.
+1. Windows 7127 and the later one (7137 afaik) only has minor tweaks and isn't worth upgrading to if you have 7100 running.

2GB RAM isn't really enough for Windows. Especially if you run anything more than an office suite or web browser.

killadoob

Honorary Master
Yea froot good point actually damn, why you running 2gb of ram keep? As far as i know there are not major changes since 7000 in all honesty, doubt it's the release build but could be as froot pointed out that 2gb memory.

Keeper

Honorary Master
hehe..trying to get money for a new mobo and 8 GB actually, just havent got to the point of saving yet...lol

ok, i'll see if I can get my hands on the 7100 release.

killadoob

Honorary Master
Dude 2gb memory is dirt cheap hey for now, no point reloading windows 7 if it's a memory problem.

Schwartz

Expert Member
You can get 2X2GB RAM sticks for dirt cheap!!
And I have none of the probs described here and I have 500GB of Movies all loading thumbnails at once! (got 5GB of RAM though :p)

Mypro-D

Expert Member
After installing updates yesterday on Win7 It gets into windows then I get a BSOD!!!

Ill stick to my Vista for now...

Stickfigure

Executive Member
+1. Windows 7127 and the later one (7137 afaik) only has minor tweaks and isn't worth upgrading to if you have 7100 running.

2GB RAM isn't really enough for Windows. Especially if you run anything more than an office suite or web browser.
Completely disagree. With 7100 I would get bsod's in all my games. Been running 7127 for 3 weeks now and haven't got a single bsod yet.

Isengard

Yes it can: control panel > system > adjust the appearance and performance of windows > deselect "Show thumbnails instead of icons"
I still want thumbs for pics though, it just when putting in say a NAG DVD then it really does take ages when making thumbs for the videos. Vids on an HDD are fine for the most part. Windows 7 RC is brilliant btw. :)

I am Penguin

Executive Member
Anyone else experiencing this??
Nope? Interesting. Maybe tell us which media player you use. WMP and VLC player and streaming HD video to PS3 is fine here.

PS: Seems it memory. I run the Beta still no problems and use 4 GB memory.
I want to upgrade to Win7 RC! but it needs a complete reinstall and I am not prepared to loose any data now. So it will have to wait a while.

Last edited:

Keeper

Honorary Master
k-lite - but i'm getting the newest version now, might help.

guys, the greenbar i'm talking about doesn't happen *every* time, just when you're browsing around, it happens sometimes.

If you HAVE seen the greenbar it HAS happened to you - I just don't remember XP doing this, ever.

maybe my HDD disks are falling asleep, i'll do some more testing.