Windows 8 Developer Preview

Roadrunner

Expert Member
In case any of you guys want to run the Windows 8 DP, I have the following suggestion:

You will most probably run into an error screen when it boots from the DVD you made complaining about the HAL.

The solution is apparently to run it in Virtualbox. Virtual PC and WMware will give you the same error, which I can confirm.

Am installing Virtualbox now and will give it another try.

Update: It seems to be working nicely now under VirtualBox.

Last edited:

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
friends says it runs very nicely on hes laptop, hes got 5400rpm drive and feels very snappy and boots fast.

it also have a very nice looking bsod screen, but i will let your experience that for yourself :p ( not the old bsod screen)

Last edited:

Elimentals

Honorary Master
I had no HAL issues that OP mentions.

32 bit Installs in 8 minutes, 1st boot takes about 2 minutes and After that I boot after Post boot to logon in 15 seconds.

This is on a Core2Duo 2.4, with 2 gig of ram, 350 gig HD 7200 RPM HD, Nvidia 970M GPU.

So far no need to use any drivers as Windows 8 saw all my hardware.

I have the 64 bit Full version(Dev tools included) running in VirtualBox on my desktops i7 with 8 gig of ram. VT-x and 3D video enabled emulating 2xCPU's

Will give a full report later on, for now its running smoothly.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
Windows 8 supports Dual Boot.

I found quite by Accident that Windows 8 installation allows for Dual boot. I wiped the wrong drive to install Windows 8 on and found this when I was looking at my laptop after a hard restart

After some carefull inspection, well Sandman asked me some questions I noticed there was a edit options on the top screen and noticed this boot menu is mouse driven.

And got this:

Also Other Options looks like:

Selecting my Old Windows 7 that was on its own drive booted as normal and it did see the Windows 8 HD as well.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
No you don't, well not yet anyway.

Normal Windows 7 software do not work on it. From VLC to Microsoft security essentials, gives all types of errors when you try and run them. Still testing why.

As for Hardware I am starting to see some limitations, like my GPU do not allow me to use the HDMI output for my second monitor and old drivers do not work so I have to wait for Nvidia to gimme some.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
No you don't, well not yet anyway.

Normal Windows 7 software do not work on it. From VLC to Microsoft security essentials, gives all types of errors when you try and run them. Still testing why.

As for Hardware I am starting to see some limitations, like my GPU do not allow me to use the HDMI output for my second monitor and old drivers do not work so I have to wait for Nvidia to gimme some.
Do you possibly need to run the apps in Windows 7 compatibility mode? It's a long shot, I don't have 8 to test with :)

Elimentals

Honorary Master
Do you possibly need to run the apps in Windows 7 compatibility mode? It's a long shot, I don't have 8 to test with :)
/facepalm

If you ever come to PE, I'll buy you a beer!!!!

forgot about that...

Edit: OMW, its the dam installers... all of them, the apps work its the installers that dont. YESSS I dont have to rewrite a lot of my apps.... but I'll just pretend that I do, boss wont know :)

Last edited:

Elimentals

Honorary Master
Cool. Just check if it works first, if possible. Would be interesting to know?
Yep, works.... got my dev environment installed and all working

VLC, Winamp, Eclipse, putty, WinCP, VNC all installed now. They all gave errors when trying to run install. Just right clicked and under properties checked Windows Compatibility mode for Windows 7. After installation I did not have to do it for the app's as they all work fine.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Yep, works.... got my dev environment installed and all working

VLC, Winamp, Eclipse, putty, WinCP, VNC all installed now. They all gave errors when trying to run install. Just right clicked and under properties checked Windows Compatibility mode for Windows 7. After installation I did not have to do it for the app's as they all work fine.
Cool beans :D Glad it works :p

sand_man

Honorary Master
mmmm... I installed 8 while in 7 environment via usb bootable iso. Wasn't prompted to select which partition to install it on (had made an 80gg parition for 8) so just let it install and it seems to have over written 7... Elimental where did you find that boot menu cause I'm getting no such menu. I can only assume I've done a complete and fresh install and not a dual boot... malakies... On a spar machine which my daughter uses so not a major... (she's 5 I think I'm safe)...

Elimentals

Honorary Master
mmmm... I installed 8 while in 7 environment via usb bootable iso. Wasn't prompted to select which partition to install it on (had made an 80gg parition for 8) so just let it install and it seems to have over written 7... Elimental where did you find that boot menu cause I'm getting no such menu. I can only assume I've done a complete and fresh install and not a dual boot... malakies... On a spar machine which my daughter uses so not a major... (she's 5 I think I'm safe)...
The boot menu comes up before the OS loads.

When you installed did you go into the Upgrade or custom option, Under custom you should select advance when it comes with the drive options and Highlight and clear the one you want to install the OS on.

What do you mean? Click and drag them wherever you want them..
I know about moving them around, my issue is the number of options that normally come up in the start menu is all there, including a Icon for Uninstall :(

Can you imagine how a fully installed system is going to look. IE: my desktop has 274 items in the start menu.

Last edited: