Windows 8 - Telnet issue on VPN

DextrousDave

Good Day

I have 2 PC on my LAN - Windows 7 Pro and a Windows 8 Pro. Now the both of them are on the same network as well as on the same VPN network. Both are successfully connected to the VPN network.

The issue is:
TELNET:
When telnetting from the windows 7 PC to all available addresses on the VPN, it connects. However, with the windows 8 PC, it does not connect at all.

What could the problem be? My telnet client on the Windows 8 PC is enabled...I also disabled all firewalls and antivirus on the Windows 8 machine...no luck

Any help?

Nuro

Expert Member
Start with the basics:

1. If ICMP is allowed, can you ping the server?
2. Does your routing table look ok?
3. What VPN client? Most don't allow concurrent connections, unless enabled by the VPN admin.

DextrousDave

Thank you Nuro. - See my response in your quote

Start with the basics:

1. If ICMP is allowed, can you ping the server? - No I cannot ping the server I want to telnet to. If I could ping to it, but not telnet, what would that imply? Port blocked? Something wrong with telnet client on windows 8 machine?
2. Does your routing table look ok? - How do i check for that?
3. What VPN client? Most don't allow concurrent connections, unless enabled by the VPN admin. - Well, on both the windows 7 and 8 machine, I am connected to the VPN. Also, the VPN admin will allow concurrent connections since it is required by our clients...

Nuro

Expert Member
Use
Code:
route print
from command line to see your routing table. You should see certain subnets routed to your vpn interface. You can compare against your Win 7 machine. Depending on your vpn configuration, your default gateway (0.0.0.0) might even be routed to your vpn interface.

If routes are missing, it might be a permissions issue when running the client. You might try running the client as admin. If your routes are there, it might simply be a compatibility issue. What client is it?

Rocket-Boy

Honorary Master
My windows 8 machine is fine for telnet across the vpn. Maybe test by downloading putty or something similar to see if its something to do with the windows telnet client.

DextrousDave

@Nuro - Thank you.

I will run the tests and will come back to you on the routing table.

I am using a CISCO VPN Client - vpnclient-winx64-msi-5.0.07.0440-k9.exe.

staunchy20

telnet client only allows you to telnet from a machine. the machine you want to connect to via telnet must have telnet server enabled

Burzum

telnet client only allows you to telnet from a machine. the machine you want to connect to via telnet must have telnet server enabled

The op stated that the Windows 7 machine connects, so I assume Windows 8 has a setting issue.

To the op: Please post the output on connect in Windows 8 from the shell.

DextrousDave

Hi All.

Sorry for the late update.

The issue is not with telnet but rather the VPN I wass connected to, it did not allow any connections out...

I just downloaded a different version of the VPN client (Cisco) and the telnet worked again...