• No

Votes: 150 44.9%
  • Other

Votes: 9 2.7%

• Total voters

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Would you use Ivermectin, an anti-parasitic drug only approved in SA to treat animals, for the treatment of Covid-19? Have you already used it? What would make you consider using it? Have you already stockpiled any of it?

Brian_G

Expert Member
If I get flu, I then consider what medicine to take, or if stronger treatment is needed. Same here, even though not flu it's a parallel.

abzob

Honorary Master
Does this question imply that we’re illegally (or at least under false pretenses) obtaining it? How do we get it if it’s not approved for human use?

mister

Executive Member
If I get flu, I then consider what medicine to take, or if stronger treatment is needed.

Why would you need medicine for flu? Your choice of anti-virals is slim, mostly ineffective, and why bother for flu...

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
No proof of it working, there were some suspect papers on it with data that did not hold up to scrutiny and were retracted.

Reactions: XTM

Brian_G

Expert Member
Why would you need medicine for flu? Your choice of anti-virals is slim, mostly ineffective, and why bother for flu...
Technical point, but mostly would be to keep symptoms at bay and therefore hopefully keep one's strength up as well.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I usually take a decongestant and something for the fever, don't you take anything?

saor

Honorary Master
I usually take a decongestant and something for the fever, don't you take anything?
I think he means that @Brian_G 's claim of it being parallel isn't accurate. Like you just said: When you choose your medicine for flu, you're choosing something to alleviate the symptoms (calm your cough, clear your nose etc.), you're not targeting the actual virus / disease to stop it getting worse.

For most mild to severe cases of covid there isn't really a 'treating the symptoms' approach with otc medicine; nothing from pick 'n pay is gonna clear your lungs and allow you to breathe again. So the parallel doesn't really work.

Presumably Ivermectin targets the virus. This is not what decongestants and other symptom relievers are doing with the flu virus.

Last edited:

BBSA

Honorary Master
Just out of interest, why do you take something for a fever?
I was under the impression that a fever is the body's nature way to fight viruses.

Brian_G

Expert Member
Presumably Ivermectin targets the virus. This is not what decongestants and other symptom relievers are doing with the flu virus.
That's the bottom line, does it? I don't think anyone knows for sure so I don't see it as some sort of miracle drug at this stage, few ever turn out to actually be so.

Just out of interest, why do you take something for a fever?
I was under the impression that a fever is the body's nature way to fight viruses.
As I understand it we still want to maintain a balance.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Would you use Ivermectin, an anti-parasitic drug only approved in SA to treat animals, for the treatment of Covid-19? Have you already used it? What would make you consider using it? Have you already stockpiled any of it?
I will take it under the orders of a doctor.
I have taken it in the past.
It is a schedule 3 drug.
It has been available in the past registered for human consumption.
It is BS that it is not a registered human consumption drug in SA.
Ii is absolutely stupid what SAHPRA. did in this regard.