Xbox 360 To Get External Blu-ray Drive

Peppercorns

Not sure if this has been posted already but anyway...

According to X-bit labs' sources, Microsoft has contracted Toshiba-Samsung Storage Technology Corp., a joint venture between Samsung Electronics and Toshiba Corp., to manufacture external Blu-ray disc drives for Xbox 360.
Of course, the external Xbox 360 Blu-ray drive will be used strictly for high definition movie playback, so don't expect Xbox 360 game to ship on Blu-day discs anytime soon.
Linky

;)

F

Fudzy

"X-Bit labs sources" sounds like People magazine's close personal friend to celebrity x.

CHURCHILL

Expert Member
dumbest thing ive ever heard!! LOL
Yes i agree, it will be foolish of MS to do this blu-ray addon, no xbox fan will buy one.

If you look at the console wars so far, you will notice that all xbox fanboy's always use blu ray as a reason to bash the PS3 and sony, so that just goes to show that they do not really care for it nor want it, and they have always believed its not needed.

So MS/who ever is involved in it, should rather put the money towards bring Xbox live down in price, fund the HDD addon or try and buy more 3rd party games/DLC content. Even better option would be to increase the 3 year warranty to a decade.

gifs

Expert Member
If you look at the console wars so far, you will notice that all xbox fanboy's always use blu ray as a reason to bash the PS3 and sony, so that just goes to show that they do not really care for it nor want it, and they have always believed its not needed.
They just bash it because they are jealous, I reckon Xbox owners will rush out to get it and finally have a machine that is up to scratch with the PS3

:D

Toxin

Expert Member
Actually I think that churchill has got it right. I'd be supprised if there will be many Xbox users who'll buy the addon. Especially if no blu-ray games will be available.

Xbox users who really wanted BR have more than likely bought themselves a standalone BR player by now. At the end of the day it's an option. You buy it if you want it. You have a choice in the matter..... unlike a certain console I could mention....... :D

Hey it's fanboy friday..... I couldn't resist. :p

Last edited:

Solidus

Expert Member
I think this would actually be good for gaming in general if they do it right.
We could end up with massive games and not here any more fanboy complaints
about DVD9 being so last-gen.

But yah Churchill is right, Xbox fans won't really buy it.

CHURCHILL

Expert Member
R1000 and i will buy one :0

Now if add that R1000 with all the extra addons to your console, how much more did pay for the Xbox compared to the PS3, just to get the same feeatures/functionality.

I thought that PS3 droids where the one's that are supposed to get ripped off.;)

BinaryJack

Spam
There is an "extensive"... "discussion" here somewhere Church.
I'll buy a bd drive...if it is cheap...and byt the rumours it seems to be about the R1500 mark.

Solidus

Expert Member
Xbox fans have been ripped off from the start with that propriety HDD.
The pricing is absolutely ridiculous!

BinaryJack

Spam
Now if add that R1000 with all the extra addons to your console, how much more did pay for the Xbox compared to the PS3, just to get the same feeatures/functionality.

I thought that PS3 droids where the one's that are supposed to get ripped off.;)
I worked it out that at R1800 for an arcade and R1500 for a BD player...
R3300 total.
Not a bad price... :D

bboy

Expert Member
i'd buy the addon if it was about R1500, but i already have a ps3

Oculate

Honorary Master
I reckon Xbox owners will rush out to get it and finally have a machine that is up to scratch with the PS3

:D
1 word, BOTTLENECK

The reason the BD addon will be external if its actually being created: We don't want to waste HDD space on game installs (unlike a certain toaster) since its so slow :rolleyes:

CHURCHILL

Expert Member
LOL... , by the look at some of these posts, it sounds like blu-ray is more popular then i thought, and not such a bad idea after all.

BinaryJack

Spam
Church, look at this way.
If bd does become an option for the 360 at a fraction of the cost of the PS3 and on par with the market at the moment.
And we are still talking rumours here...what is the harm?

I am not certain though that it is the case - allrumour still.
It might be the death blow for the PS3 though as there is no reason to buy the PS3 anymore.
The only other thing that the PS3 bois can claim, is free PSN and lets be honest, that is not going to last forever.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
LOL... , by the look at some of these posts, it sounds like blu-ray is more popular then i thought, and not such a bad idea after all.
your powers of deduction are legendary ....... roughly 4 posts stating an interest in blu-ray is an indication that "blu-ray is more popular then i thought" ...... astounding :rolleyes:

CHURCHILL

Expert Member
your powers of deduction are legendary ....... roughly 4 posts stating an interest in blu-ray is an indication that "blu-ray is more popular then i thought" ...... astounding :rolleyes:
Thanks M_H.:)

Let me tell you my secret on how i deduced that, its actually very simple,

Two posts came from two reputable posters that normally would give a negative response to blu-ray.:D

Syphonx

Expert Member

Once again youre forgetting its optional