Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi Box S [Android TV OS]

bratwurst

Expert Member
Same place, maybe try a different browser
I did :/

Seems there's something wrong with my account.

Just received the sms below, so all good it seems. I was worried my order didn't go through even though my card was charged.

Hi, your MIA purchase will be delivered 09/04/2018 before 6pm. reference# CGPXXX. call RTT 0115521040 for delivery queries

jones123

hi guys,

just got a 4k tv and was wondering what display settings you have your mibox set to ?

at 4k 60 or 30hz i get judder , at 1080p 60 and 50 i get judder so mine is currently set to 1080p 24hz which seems stable enough.
i dont think it can handle the upscaling of sd sources any higher than 1080p

so what did you find best ?

Sumen

Expert Member
I did :/

Seems there's something wrong with my account.

Just received the sms below, so all good it seems. I was worried my order didn't go through even though my card was charged.
That's good, I'm having the box delivered to my dad's workplace so gave them his cell, will have to check when he gets home if they sent an sms

Sumen

Expert Member
That's good, I'm having the box delivered to my dad's workplace so gave them his cell, will have to check when he gets home if they sent an sms
3lOH55A ok, mine's coming tomorrow

Sumen

Expert Member
My Box arrived today :).
So far so good. Very small compared to the Apple TV.
Plex works fine on it. Haven't noticed any sound sync issues.
Yep, it's very good.
It's like a pebble.
But I'm amazed at how snappy it is and easy to use

Sumen

Expert Member
I noticed sideloaded apps that follow the Android TV UI guideline i.e.Terrarium TV shows up on the homescreen so no need to use a special launcher or app to launch the sideloaded app.

I tried sideloading the getBlack app but "install" button is greyed out, so I'm assuming it doesn't follow Android TV UI guidelines.

Last edited:

marco79

Expert Member
I have a MiBox I purchased from someone here on MyBB who imported it. I only use it for youtube videos, the odd series format that my TV cannot read, and very little for the Kodi App.

Does Plex need a subscription? All the pre-installed apps needs subscriptions.

I am very interested in what others are using their Mi-Box's for. I initially bought it to get rid of DSTV, but that proved unsuccessful. That being said, I never done much research other than the Kodi Covenant plug-in.

EADC

Executive Member
I have a MiBox I purchased from someone here on MyBB who imported it. I only use it for youtube videos, the odd series format that my TV cannot read, and very little for the Kodi App.

Does Plex need a subscription? All the pre-installed apps needs subscriptions.

I am very interested in what others are using their Mi-Box's for. I initially bought it to get rid of DSTV, but that proved unsuccessful. That being said, I never done much research other than the Kodi Covenant plug-in.
I use mine to watch Youtube, Netflix, terrarium TV and now Spotify.

sactjt

Ordered 2 of these boxes from Miafrica on Monday afternoon at 15:45 after a whole sour ordeal with an apple tv 4k as well as a telkom lit box. I live in Hermanus and usually dont have much hope with deliveries as it always takes ages to arrive because its an outlined area.
On Wednesday morning at 10 the boxes got delivered to my door. Less than 48 hours where I usually wait minimum 6 days with other online orders.
Extremely impressed with Miafrica.
Now only I hope I can say the same about these boxes. Will open tonight. Fingers crossed.

Diesel44

Ordered 2 of these boxes from Miafrica on Monday afternoon at 15:45 after a whole sour ordeal with an apple tv 4k as well as a telkom lit box. I live in Hermanus and usually dont have much hope with deliveries as it always takes ages to arrive because its an outlined area.
On Wednesday morning at 10 the boxes got delivered to my door. Less than 48 hours where I usually wait minimum 6 days with other online orders.
Now only I hope I can say the same about these boxes. Will open tonight. Fingers crossed.
Not related to the Mi Box - But I purchased a phone from Miafrica in late 2017 and also got some good service from them.

Sumen

Expert Member
Don't worry, the box is plug and play unlike the lit box

sactjt

Some photos of the mibox after delivery from Miafrica.
Someone from the telkom lit box thread asked for some photos but will rather post here as it’s more mibox related.

BD39964A-7B11-4C1D-AFA6-A65C3834898C.jpg
FD134FBB-0280-441C-92CB-9F44953BDA90.jpg
BDE05125-898B-409E-868A-A1CE86C08397.jpg
0C6DFE22-E755-4126-9829-CFEF4B32A868.jpg
5988EAFE-B6D6-496E-B6E9-DC863B76C542.jpg
3F297CC9-FCE7-45BE-A8C9-2501D8757A7F.jpg

I had a mygica device, which I returned.
I had an apple tv 4k device, which I returned.
I have an apple tv 4.
I have an apple tv 3.
I have raspberry pi’s 2 and 3 which I played around with tv options wise.
Pcs with xbmc.
Older media players.
I have 2 lg “smart tv’s” with web os 2 and 3.
I just received the 2 mibox’s.
I have a telkom lit box, which is now somewhere with telkom being repaired after the hdmi port failed.

I hooked up the one mibox late last night but haven't really had time to properly test it and give feedback but the little bit of use SO FAR, the mibox feels snappier than the lit box, the voice control works really well (which I thought I would never use but now quite like it), the mibox is sleeker and smaller and I don’t know if my mind is playing tricks on me but the interface looks crisper/sharper as well as video playback but again it’s probably a “placebo effect”. In MY honest opinion nothing compares to the crispness and overall quality of the apple tv 4k so far but the box did not work for me as it did exactly what my smart tv’s already did. The os is way too “closed down”, especially in our market.
On the other hand, the lit box has ethernet, the hdmi cec power on/of/volume works good compared to non existent on the mibox (weirdly I figured out that if you press the “round circle home button” 3 times on the mibox remote the tv and avr would switch on but the power button just switches on the box itself), the lit remote feels better in my hand personally and I also personally like the “rubber” buttons on the lit box more than the plastic ones on the mibox. My wife disagrees so I guess Im wrong here. I miss the mute button on the lit remote as well as the ability to quickly close background apps (maybe I can’t figure out how to do this on mibox remote but with lit remote You just hold in the home button for 2 seconds and all the background apps pop up for quick closing).
Lack of netflix (without sideloading) on the lit box killed the experience for me personally. Netflix on the mibox works really well.
The rest is basically the same (for my use) except voice control within apps and again (probably my imagination) but it all just feels a bit snappier on the mibox.

All of this is obviously personal with my experience so far. I have guests staying over all the time (some savvy, some not at all), a wife who does not care about anything tech except that it works, a kiddie, a nanny and grandmas and grandpas visiting a lot.
This is/was personally my problem with some of the options listed in the beginning. Too much fiddeling and too difficult for everyone in my household. Thats where the mibox fills the gap for me personally. Simplicity. Everyone's prefered apps work.

Apologies for the long post and I know no one asked my opinion in the first place. I am thinking of putting something (long and own thread) together with comparisons, pros and cons etc just of my personal experience with these different devices and hopefully it helps somebody like me who just feels overwhelmed with all the options, don’t have too much time for research and something that just works for their needs.

Im getting fed up with companies like Telkom that advertise something, then only to find out it doesn’t actually work as advertised. You can’t test MOST of these devices beforehand so you have to give someone your hard earned money blindly then only to find that if it doesn’t work for you, they refuse a refund and/or exchange for something else, well at least not without a massive fight/argument.

Anyway apologies again for “clogging” up this thread.

SamWill

Some photos of the mibox after delivery from Miafrica.
Someone from the telkom lit box thread asked for some photos but will rather post here as it’s more mibox related.

View attachment 514381
View attachment 514383
View attachment 514385
View attachment 514387
View attachment 514389
View attachment 514391

I had a mygica device, which I returned.
I had an apple tv 4k device, which I returned.
I have an apple tv 4.
I have an apple tv 3.
I have raspberry pi’s 2 and 3 which I played around with tv options wise.
Pcs with xbmc.
Older media players.
I have 2 lg “smart tv’s” with web os 2 and 3.
I just received the 2 mibox’s.
I have a telkom lit box, which is now somewhere with telkom being repaired after the hdmi port failed.

I hooked up the one mibox late last night but haven't really had time to properly test it and give feedback but the little bit of use SO FAR, the mibox feels snappier than the lit box, the voice control works really well (which I thought I would never use but now quite like it), the mibox is sleeker and smaller and I don’t know if my mind is playing tricks on me but the interface looks crisper/sharper as well as video playback but again it’s probably a “placebo effect”. In MY honest opinion nothing compares to the crispness and overall quality of the apple tv 4k so far but the box did not work for me as it did exactly what my smart tv’s already did. The os is way too “closed down”, especially in our market.
On the other hand, the lit box has ethernet, the hdmi cec power on/of/volume works good compared to non existent on the mibox (weirdly I figured out that if you press the “round circle home button” 3 times on the mibox remote the tv and avr would switch on but the power button just switches on the box itself), the lit remote feels better in my hand personally and I also personally like the “rubber” buttons on the lit box more than the plastic ones on the mibox. My wife disagrees so I guess Im wrong here. I miss the mute button on the lit remote as well as the ability to quickly close background apps (maybe I can’t figure out how to do this on mibox remote but with lit remote You just hold in the home button for 2 seconds and all the background apps pop up for quick closing).
Lack of netflix (without sideloading) on the lit box killed the experience for me personally. Netflix on the mibox works really well.
The rest is basically the same (for my use) except voice control within apps and again (probably my imagination) but it all just feels a bit snappier on the mibox.

All of this is obviously personal with my experience so far. I have guests staying over all the time (some savvy, some not at all), a wife who does not care about anything tech except that it works, a kiddie, a nanny and grandmas and grandpas visiting a lot.
This is/was personally my problem with some of the options listed in the beginning. Too much fiddeling and too difficult for everyone in my household. Thats where the mibox fills the gap for me personally. Simplicity. Everyone's prefered apps work.

Apologies for the long post and I know no one asked my opinion in the first place. I am thinking of putting something (long and own thread) together with comparisons, pros and cons etc just of my personal experience with these different devices and hopefully it helps somebody like me who just feels overwhelmed with all the options, don’t have too much time for research and something that just works for their needs.

Im getting fed up with companies like Telkom that advertise something, then only to find out it doesn’t actually work as advertised. You can’t test MOST of these devices beforehand so you have to give someone your hard earned money blindly then only to find that if it doesn’t work for you, they refuse a refund and/or exchange for something else, well at least not without a massive fight/argument.

Anyway apologies again for “clogging” up this thread.
Thanks for the feedback. I was considering the Lit Box and the the MiBox and also looking for something that works without too much tinkering. I think you might have sold me on the MiBox

Awesum

Expert Member
Thanks for the short review. I found it interesting and wouldnt mind reading your comparison.

I also have the Lit box, which works for my needs and an ATV 4, on which I run Kodi. I'm getting tired of the Kodi add-ons disappearing and the struggle to find good sources, so I'm considering getting the mibox to replace my ATV.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Thanks for the short review. I found it interesting and wouldnt mind reading your comparison.

I also have the Lit box, which works for my needs and an ATV 4, on which I run Kodi. I'm getting tired of the Kodi add-ons disappearing and the struggle to find good sources, so I'm considering getting the mibox to replace my ATV.
kod doesn't work on the Lit box?