XP out of range on boot.

Mars

Honorary Master
This is driving me crazy!!

I have just re-installed xp pro onto our old dinosaur pc, its basically a terminal.

The problem now is, when it boots into windows, half way through the monitor says "Frequency out of range", then the machine reboots.

Ok I think, the res is too high. Reboot into safe mode, no problem, set the res to 640 x 480... Reboot.

Same thing again. Monitor says "Frequency out of range", then the machine reboots.

How can it boot perfectly into safe mode, but not normally? This is still the clean install, I haven't even installed mobo drivers, let alone gfx drivers!

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Set the frequancy to 60mhz under Monitor, under Advanced button where u change the screen rez...

Mars

Honorary Master
Set the frequancy to 60mhz under Monitor, under Advanced button where u change the screen rez...

Everything there is greyed out... :(

yeah res is too high, you probably have a 14" or 15" CRT screen?

Its a 17"

Eish! The system boots perfectly into a mint live disk... Tested the screen card and the memory. no problems there.

Mars

Honorary Master
I'll give it a bash, but if I remember correctly, the windows installer won't work in safe mode....

Conradl

Expert Member
Start in VGA mode. Safe mode loads using the vga.sys driver, so when you change the settings in safe mode it is changing the incorrect card. When you reboot your old settings are back.

VGA mode starts the machine using your standard driver, but set to a resolution of 640x480....