XP SP3 fail

Buddha

Hey guys/gals,

Updated my legit XP Pro from SP2 to SP3 last night. all installed/downloaded well, but after the reboot (required reboot) i cant get into windows.

It boots just to the point where you would expect the xp logo & loader to show, and then restarts. If I go into safemode and try boot it loads until MUP.SYS and then it restarts.

If i hit F8 from reboot and select "dont restart on crashes" it blue screens.

Im running a AMD 3200+ (dont laugh) on an asus A32n-SLi mobo.

Now there are a couple of threads on other sites about this issue from may this year.. but no solution so far other than 1) reinstall (not an option) and 2)boot with a flashdrive over 2gigs?

wtf?

stoke

Honorary Master
Windoze update installed SP3 on my mom's pc, and she had exactly the same problem.

I setup another bootable hard drive in her computer and ran chkdisk on her drive and wham ... works 100%.

I speculate that some change was done to the way parts of the files are stored and the change is not completely written from write buffers before the reboot happens, causing certain critical files to seem corrupted.

Ivork

Expert Member
Yes I would say hardware, disk error too as first guess. Boot from the cd into the recovery console and run a chkdsk.

Grimspoon

Executive Member
Windoze update installed SP3 on my mom's pc, and she had exactly the same problem.

I setup another bootable hard drive in her computer and ran chkdisk on her drive and wham ... works 100%.

I speculate that some change was done to the way parts of the files are stored and the change is not completely written from write buffers before the reboot happens, causing certain critical files to seem corrupted.
If thats the case then just a CHKDSK from the windows recovery console?

stoke

Honorary Master
ChkDsk refuesd to run from the recovery console .. it could not even find the drive. Absoltuely insane.

Grimspoon

Executive Member
How do you run CHKDSK in recovery console?

(PS thanks for the answers! will try these after work tonight)
Haven’t done it in awhile but let me try remember - Insert your XP CD and when prompted to boot from CD do so..You will see a menu come up to ask you what you would like to do, and one option should say "Press R to Repair Windows" Hit R and it should take you into the console. From here you will type CHKDSK /f

Note this will take some time to conclude.....If I have got something wrong with the above steps please point em out for Buddha ;)

Last edited:

Aqua_lung

Honorary Master
I have read some stuff of sp3 not working so leke with amd.... im to scared to try it on my pc... im runing the 3800+ x2... i would like to try it out... but doesn't sound safe....
Works perfectly with my old AMD Athlon 64, feels much more responsive.

Buddha

dude i have no idea.

i hit microsoft update.. it said "sp3" as the recommended update.... and that was it.

well i managed to get into my PC last night using the USB trick.. but i cant uninsall SP3. ..just keeps crashing saying it cant find sp3

SIGH!

PC works 100% as long as i have a USB HDD installed.

IM going to try the recovery console method tonight

-=JOker=-

Got this on Microsoft's site....http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372/en-us

Method 2
To work around this issue, run the recovery console by using the Windows XP CD. Then, select the recovery option. To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disk or from the Windows XP CD, follow these steps:
1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk in the floppy disk drive. Or, insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive. Then, restart the computer.

Note If you are prompted, click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. If you have a dual-boot computer or a multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. When you are prompted, type the administrator password. Note Press ENTER if the administrator password is blank.
5. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following command and Press ENTER. disable intelppm.
6. To exit the Recovery Console and to restart the computer, type exit at the Recovery Console command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Last edited: