Zimbabwe votes in first post Mugabe election

Tander

Executive Member
Even if what you say happens, entire process seems much better than earlier elections. President Mnangagwa has invited non-SADC observers also this time. SADC observers were a joke - they rubber stamped each and every election. Only Botswana or Nambia showed some courage if I remember.
Yeah, I am not following the elections that close; so outside of this thread I have no context on how they're going. Good to hear its better than previous ones.

walterl

Expert Member
Eish - this doesn't look promising.
I was a party observer in one of our elections a few years back in the East Rand. At the close of the voting station, they started counting the votes, and when they announced the outcome to the people present, it totaled up to something like 4000 votes, but only 2000 people voted at the voting station. In the end I helped them count the votes properly to get to the 2000 that voted, even though I guess it was highly improper for a party observer to get involved, but somehow they just couldn't get the votes per party to add up to the number of people that voted at the station. I wonder how much of this happens at voting stations and what do they do if there isn't someone to help when they get it totally wrong.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Official results to be announced from 3PM onwards according to the Zimbabwean Electoral Commission.

thechamp

Honorary Master
I was a party observer in one of our elections a few years back in the East Rand. At the close of the voting station, they started counting the votes, and when they announced the outcome to the people present, it totaled up to something like 4000 votes, but only 2000 people voted at the voting station. In the end I helped them count the votes properly to get to the 2000 that voted, even though I guess it was highly improper for a party observer to get involved, but somehow they just couldn't get the votes per party to add up to the number of people that voted at the station. I wonder how much of this happens at voting stations and what do they do if there isn't someone to help when they get it totally wrong.
Count until they get it right? it looks to me like there were just too many cooks there confusing each other.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Just Imagine if Chamisa wins and Mnangagwa accepts the result.
Mnangagwa is in too deep to turn back now, he has already said the elections were free and fair and Zanu has said they have full confidence in ZEC, it will be hard to turn back now and say there was a problem.

Azg

Expert Member
It always starts out with MDC taking an early lead. Wait until the rural voters have been counted. Zanu-PF will take this with a landslide victory.
Spot on. Even taking into account possible logistical problems, it's clear the government's plan is to announce results in such a way that the MDC has an early lead and starts claiming victory (thereby legitimising the whole process). When the inflated rural vote numbers come in it's difficult for the MDC to back track and claim the election was not fair.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Mnangagwa says he’s receiving positive reports from the ground

Zanu-PF presidential candidate Emmerson Mnangagwa tweeted on Tuesday that the party’s representatives on the ground shared positive information as the outcome of Monday’s Zimbabwean election is pending. The successor of former president Robert Mugabe, who was removed from the presidency following military intervention last year, tweeted he was pleased by the high voter turnout. It was reported the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission (ZEC) placed the voter turnout at 75%.

“The information from our reps on the ground is extremely positive! Waiting patiently for official results as per the constitution,” Mnangagwa tweeted on Tuesday.

https://citizen.co.za/news/1988959/mnangagwa-says-hes-receiving-positive-reports-from-the-ground/

Eniigma

Expert Member
Results where due at from 15:00 right? Oh wait that's Afrika time. My bad.

Tander

Executive Member
The Zimbabwe Electoral Commission has just finished announcing results from seven of the 210 consistences and Zanu-PF has won most of them
I guess, Chamisa best get a speach ready as to why they lost.

thechamp

Honorary Master
I guess, Chamisa best get a speach ready as to why they lost.
Well with Zanu's record of stealing elections, the opposition will still win even if they lost this elections, no matter how free and fair these elections are MDC will always have the sympathy of the international media and public even if they lost fair and square.

Chamisa knows this very well.

schumi

Honorary Master
Zanu-PF has won the National Assembly vote

The commission has begun to announce the winners of the first democratic elections in Zimbabwe following Robert Mugabe’s removal.

Reports coming out of Zimbabwe have made it clear that it is clear that Zanu-PF candidates have done enough to pass the majority mark of 106 to take control of the country’s parliament.

About 72% of seats have been declared so far by the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission, reports say.

The opposition leader, however, continues to cry foul and believes he has done enough to win the popular vote and the presidency.
More at : https://citizen.co.za/news/news-africa/1988993/zanu-pf-has-won-the-national-assembly-vote

thechamp

Honorary Master
So even the Presidency is done and dusted, or could Zanu win the national assembly but fail to win the Presidency?

surface

Executive Member
So even the Presidency is done and dusted, or could Zanu win the national assembly but fail to win the Presidency?
Can't seem to find anything in media about it. I reckon twitter hysteria counted for nothing as rural area seems dominated by Zanu-PF. Someone said somewhere that "Harare and twitter is not Zimbabwe" and it makes sense. I now doubt if even the presidential vote will go to Chamisa.