Zorin OS, Installing 3G modem, Plz help

Novel

Hi,

I just installed Zorin 8 OS on my old PC but now I dont know how to install the 3G modem to connect to the internet.

The modem (Astrum) does have support for linux (atleast thats what it says on the package). Is there any way to check whether the hardware was detected? Hw do I install the drivers?? The modem says "plug n Play" but nothing seems to be happening! What should I do???

Thanks for your help

riscbroker

Expert Member
Hi,

I just installed Zorin 8 OS on my old PC but now I dont know how to install the 3G modem to connect to the internet.

The modem (Astrum) does have support for linux (atleast thats what it says on the package). Is there any way to check whether the hardware was detected? Hw do I install the drivers?? The modem says "plug n Play" but nothing seems to be happening! What should I do???

Thanks for your help
Most of the Linux distros I've used are really easy with 3G modems. Plug the modem in, if it has LEDs you should be able to see when it has picked up the network, then go to your network manager and set up the connection - you should just need to select the carrier and the network manager will sort the rest out.

Novel

Most of the Linux distros I've used are really easy with 3G modems. Plug the modem in, if it has LEDs you should be able to see when it has picked up the network, then go to your network manager and set up the connection - you should just need to select the carrier and the network manager will sort the rest out.
Thanks for the quick reply:) I already tried setting up the connection, when I go to the "connect to" option, it brings up the set up manager. I dunno what Im doing wrong? Isn't the network manager supposed to ask which port (wired/wifi/mobile) I wanna use for the connection???

riscbroker

Expert Member
Yes, it should show available devices, you can then select mobile and choose country, operator etc. But I've never used Zorin so I don't know what network manager it uses.

Might be quicker asking here:

http://zoringroup.com/forum/

oldhat

Expert Member
Do you have USB-modeswitch or Sakis3G installed? You may want to try one/both of them. Many modems are dual mode(can function as 3G modem or usb storage device to store Windows drivers) and Linux sometimes needs software to switch modes from storage device to modem.

Last edited:

Biggie

Hi,

Thanks for your help
Don't look for the modem or worry about drivers.

Just click on the network icon,enable mobile broadband,edit connection,choose your carrier and away you go.I've installed Zorin this afternoon and within 2 minutes after installation, i was online.