4G battle between Cell C, MTN and Vodacom may be turned on its head

Well done Philip Solis, the first 'research analyst' to tell it like it is. CDMA's time is coming to an end.
 
the ITU just gave in to the American operators as they have been advertising that they have 4G networks in their marketing campaigns yet you obtain the same speeds that Cell C now provides on them
 
Hey Vodacon, stop whinging and just improve your value proposition. Fight your battles in the market by offering better value to customers. I guess their strategy is "we don't want to lower our prices to match Cell C's vastly better offering, so let's try attack Cell C via the regulators and by attempting to poison public opinion". It makes you look like pathetic sore losers.

So Vodascum knows better than the ITU? Great, just great...

Yeah, what a joke. They didn't hesitate to regard the ITU as an authority when it helped their case, suddenly the ITU as authority can be conveniently ignored now that it doesn't.
 
Agreed. This just makes Vodacom look stupid. Their energy would be better spent doing something productive like Cell-C did.
 
the ITU just gave in to the American operators as they have been advertising that they have 4G networks in their marketing campaigns yet you obtain the same speeds that Cell C now provides on them

Yep, that is exactly what has happened. It sounds like somebody has been bought off.

Whose fault is this? The ITU for issuing such confusing and contradictory statements. You can just lay down one set of standards and then a few months later throw that out the window and suddenly include a bunch of legacy stuff. Cell C does not have a 4G network. It is still only 3G and should be referred to as such. To advertise it as anything else is dishonest.
 
Errrmmm... I dont care if its 3G, 3.75G, or 10G ... As long as it's affordable and service is good, im happy. I walked passed a Vodascum shop the otherday and the one bloke tell the other one "dont walk in there , they charge you for it. " - So true ;)

Vodascum can suck it- They and MTN have been milking this country for WAY too long.

CellC FTW!!
 
If HSPA+ etc are now 4G, then we had better come up with a new, definitive term for the real next-gen networks with the tangible benefits of high speeds (no more circles as you wait for your video to download) and all-IP architectures.
 
I don't care what Cell C, Vodacom or anyone else calls it.
I don't care whom fights with whom over terms.
I don't even care if this technology is out of date in 2 or 3 years.

I care about my experience as a user - and I've never seen mobile internet like this.

I've used Vodacom 3G for 5 years and it was decent ; I was really chuffed. However at the start of this year things got terrible and after months and months of moaning, I got an engineer out here to check my signal. Despite me asking multiple times, no feedback was given. Despite have three Vodacom contracts, I used Telkom 3G for my data which was actually very good.

I got Cell C a few days ago and wow - awesome. I cancelled Telkom and can't wait to kill my Vodacom contracts!
 
Vodascum can suck it now. shame. Next time vodacom, spend your time and effort helping the consumer and not your already over bloated pockets.
 
First time I've used up 5Gb's without any hassle or even trying to.

It's scary.

But it's great to see CellC's willing to take a step into the unknown, and offer better service with greater pricing for world+dog

The two other cellular providers can start doing something positive in order to keep their clients happy instead of doing nothing and moaning about Cellc's use of '4Gs'.

Vodacom, MTN, the ball is in your court. No amount of lawyering, backstabbing, sneaky and dirty tricks will get the ball out of your court, so stop acting like infants and start do something in order to keep your customers.

If you don't, you will lose a lot of customers, and a customer once lost, is very difficult to win back.
 
all you guys saying you don't care.... you would care very much if it was the other way around.

What if Vodacom started trumpeting the fact that their network is better than Cell-C's because they have more advanced technology... 4G.

When a customer sees a number higher than the number he has just bought... he thinks he was ripped off because there is a newer version out there.

Only problem is ... it is not newer... it is the same technology... it is false advertising... and we need to protect honesty in advertising very much.

We have been ripped off by it far too many times before. Truth in advertising is a very, very important concept.

To say "I don't care" means YOU will be the one being ripped off next time by somebody less honest than Cell-C.

I'm gonna start a GPRS service tomorrow and advertise it as 5G. I'll have all the clueless suckers who "don't care" flocking to my network and I can lock them into contracts before they realise what they are actually getting.
 
Now, you see, there is the problem. Cell C does have a more advanced network than Vodacom. They aren't merely claiming so. A Vodacom customer would be right to conclude they are being ripped off. They are ALL being ripped off. They can call it 5Gs for 5 gigs but from the reports it's still faster but wait, they actually called it 4Gs not 4G. I still prefer it over the misleading logo they are using now.

You are still not getting it. It might be a slightly better network (now for this month or two)... but it is still not 4G technology... and to advertise it in a way that associates it with the newer 4G technology is dishonest.... and should rightly be disallowed.

What should Vodacom do? Add a few more towers? Bump their speed up to 22 mbps and then start advertising a 5G network? No.... that would be dumb. And so is Cell-C's advertising.
 
It's not merely a "slightly" better network. Who decides what 4G is? I've seen it being called anything from 3G to 3.25G to 3.5G to 3.75G to 4G. If there's no clear point where one generation of technology ends and one begins it's just marketing hype. One US network calls itself the fastest network, Vodacom calls themself the leading network, both false claims.

There is no honesty in subjective advertising. I've always said to everybody 3G and 4G are meaningless marketing terms. Vodacom can go suck donkey balls. If they want to waste money on a storm in a teacup rather than upgrade their network to be better than Cell C they can expect me not to be on it anymore, whatever Cell C calls theirs. They should realise the power lies in individual experiences and not what you call your product. Again Cell C's advertising was 4Gs, not 4G. One only need to look at the recent breach ruling where it said what the term stood for to realise the ASA is biased.

It is only a slightly better network, in fact it is only one small step ahead in terms of technology and that may give it a few months advantage at the most. In terms of national coverage Vodacom blows Cell-C out of the water.

Who gets to decide what the term means? Well that would be the ITU. it's not subjective at all. They are clearly defined technologies.

Don't get me wrong... I'm glad Cell-C is bringing competition to the market. But I think you are far over-estimating it's significance.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X