2 ADSL ISP's

Brandon21

Hey guys

I wanted to know if I can have 2 ADSL accounts at 1 time frohe ISP from 2 different ISP's?

Would I be able to just change the username and password given by the ISP and then be able to access that account from the line I have? And also be able to switch back?

I don't want to access them at the same time.

nahoR

Yes

You can also have 2 accounts from the same ISP at the same time accessing them at the same time.

Doing this on you router depends what router you have. If it is just a simple router, putting it in bridge mode and dailing the PPPoE account from your pc may be easier than switching them manually every time on the router itself

My setup is: d-link ADLS modem in bridge mode->mikrotik router->switch to my network

On my router I have afrihost uncapped account and webafrica capped account. Routing is setup so that traffic to/from webafrica's ftp server goes through the webafrica account and all other traffic goes through afrihost account

Sonic2k

Executive Member
Yes.
I am running another ISP on the same line because OW is so effing useless...

nahoR

Yes.
I am running another ISP on the same line because OW is so effing useless...

I cancelled my OW a long time ago...

No internet on OW, contact support get the same BS response every time "We tested your account on our test line and it performs as it should". And it was on the Gold original nogals. Just got tired paying for something that i cant use

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
Would it be possible to use two different ISP's on the same router and line at the same time - for instance using one ISP for HTML surfing and the other for torrents. At the same time. Possible?

nahoR

Yes,

but you can't have 2 default routes with the same cost. You will have to do some packet marking on p2p traffic and route the marked packets to the appropriate interface (account)

I'n not aware of any "home routers" that can do this type of thing

Brandon21

How would I set it up if I want to use that one free gig from Afrihost with my telkom capped account?
Yes

You can also have 2 accounts from the same ISP at the same time accessing them at the same time.

Doing this on you router depends what router you have. If it is just a simple router, putting it in bridge mode and dailing the PPPoE account from your pc may be easier than switching them manually every time on the router itself

My setup is: d-link ADLS modem in bridge mode->mikrotik router->switch to my network

On my router I have afrihost uncapped account and webafrica capped account. Routing is setup so that traffic to/from webafrica's ftp server goes through the webafrica account and all other traffic goes through afrihost account

nahoR

Telkom Dlink.

You will have to be more specific than that. Usually underneath the router will be a sticker with all the details on it. I don't think d-link routers allow multiple pppoe connections. But it does allow you to set it to bridge mode, however then you will have to dial the accounts from your pc.

I think you will be able to dial both accounts simultaneously (I really don't know if there are restrictions on this in windows)
Make sure that only one account creates a default route. Then you can specify which ips/networks should be routed to which accounts

nahoR

Back in the day when internet was still expensive and not uncapped, you were able to get local-only accounts. This means that only traffic to south african IPs are passed through. So what people did was buy a small international account and large local-only account. There was a list circulating with all the south african networks (I think you can still get it on IS or SAIX's website somewhere). People would then set routes for the south african nets to route through the local-only account and all other traffic will go through the international account.

This is exactly the same principle. If you search this forum there might still be a thread somewhere detailing how to set this up. Also this might become more of a networking topic than an ADSL ISP discussion

Brandon21

Thank you for all the help. Figured out what I needed to with help of the Afrihost free gig. Was actually a simple question as I now see how easy it was... But thanks guys. I just created another PPPoE connection with another username and password. I still only got it connected through 1 account at a time, but didn't want simultaneous connection!

Peace out!