2 routers, 2 isps, 1 adsl line

bangbang

Hi

I have been scouring these forums and have found similar posts but they are not exactly answering my questions.

Please could you help or send me in the right direction.

Synopsis:
I have a Telkom 4meg adsl line with a 20 gig cap. This works great for gaming. The problem comes when streaming and my wife is browsing the cap disappears rather fast. I am wanting to get an uncapped package (Currently looking at cybersmart) for the house and have the capped internet for gaming.

I would also like to be able to toggle the Uncapped modem down during times of gaming.

The gaming only happens on one pc. I have a jack downstairs for the wifi (uncapped connection) and a jack in the study for gaming.

Router details
Dlink 2750 in the box (for the uncapped connection)
And
Telkom Huawei HG532f ADSL Router (plugged in in study for gaming.)

I am not sure which or any of this possible.

In point for
1. being able to have priority gaming on capped account
2. having uncapped for the streaming (sport, tv, news etc)
3. Be able to toggle the uncapped speed down so gaming is still fine

I hope there is a solution

bangbang

10 mb is out of my price range the cheapest 10 mg uncapped line i could find was 899 with cybersmart but then I still have to pay telkom their R200 odd bucks. which is all out of my price range.

The plan is to go no dstv for netflix and streaming all live sport on other sites. I havent run this system long enough to figure out usage but some buddies have said I would need a fair amount of Data.

Telkom hada deal that for R499 pm I am getting the telephone line, 4 mg adsl line, 20 gig data, and few other things thrown in (3g dongle ,modem). It is cheaper than any other option even if I throw in a 4mb uncapped account less than R295 with cybersmart.

I have heard a lot of not so great stories about poor gaming performance on uncapped accounts around 6-9pm which is the time I play.

Basically I want my cake and I want to eat it.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
You cant have 2 routers on one line, but you can have one account on the router and then your dial in to the second account on your laptop/pc.

Im thinking, rent the 10meg line and get 2 capped accounts, one large, one small.

Or 1 uncapped, and one capped.

bangbang

You cant have 2 routers on one line, but you can have one account on the router and then your dial in to the second account on your laptop/pc.

Im thinking, rent the 10meg line and get 2 capped accounts, one large, one small.

This is exactly what I am thinking about. How do I set it up?

Must the router be programmed for the wireless uncapped ISP. In terms of network tech I am not 100% clued up. Is the dial in second account using the PPPoE thing? I have seen this around online. What does this mean? Could I always have connected via ADSL without a router and just use PPPoE?

Separate question, If my thinking is correct about the previous point, the router being jacked in up stairs configured for the uncapped account, could I use the second router down stairs just to act as a boost for the wifi around the house? If so how would I set that up? Bearing in mind all routers are still in their default settings using 10.0.0.x as the ip I hope this helps.

einad5

Thread linked by Johnatan56 has some useful info, but it only tells you how to get the two connections. Using two connections is a beast of a different breed. Back in the day when local only data was a big thing this question came up a lot.

Easiest scenario would be to set up your modem in half bridge mode (I think its also called PPPoE pass through) and have your modem dial the uncapped connection like Rickster mentioned.

If however you want something to priorities gaming traffic you will need some management software in between. I would start to search for something like a linux based software router and then go from there. Personally I think it may be more hassle than the savings is worth, but if you like fiddling on the technical level or just have some masochistic streak then you should give it a shot.

LCBXX

Honorary Master

You cant have them on one line, correct. What you can do is setup 1 ADSL router on the line on ISP 1 and another regular router, served via the ADSL router to the 2nd router's WAN port. Create a PPPoE connection from the 2nd router across the ADSL Router to ISP 2 and voila :)

If the ADSL router support bandwidth management, you can rate limit the port which serves Router 2.

Last edited:

RoganDawes

Expert Member
You cant have them on one line, correct. What you can do is setup 1 ADSL router on the line on ISP 1 and another regular router, served via the ADSL router to the 2nd router's WAN port. Create a PPPoE connection from the 2nd router across the ADSL Router to ISP 2 and voila :)

If the ADSL router support bandwidth management, you can rate limit the port which serves Router 2.

Or else let the gaming PC be the "second router", and dial the capped account itself using pppoe.

slvR

Expert Member

You can have 2 routers. You just shouldn't have 2 modems.

bangbang

Easiest scenario would be to set up your modem in half bridge mode (I think its also called PPPoE pass through) and have your modem dial the uncapped connection like Rickster mentioned.

AND

Could either of you break this step down a little Both options side similar but also different

I have the Huawei HG532f ADSL Router plug into 1 jack currently, it is setup with Telkom Capped ISP. - I lose you at 2nd router WAN port.

I have a dlink 2750 router still in the box and I have have a 4 mb uncapped account about to be ordered(if this setup can work).

Just need a simpler explanation please. proper step by steps for this process are not so step by step.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
The DLink will not work as a 2nd router using my method. Buy a cheap bog standard router like one of these:
http://www.takealot.com/totolink-n200re-300mbps-wireless-n-router/PLID34167833
http://www.takealot.com/tp-link-150mbps-wireless-n-router/PLID28719993

Both have 5 RJ45 Standard network ports, 1 of which is a WAN port - I'll refer to these as Router 2. The Blue-port on this TP-Link router would be the WAN port and the yellow the LAN ports:
TL-WR740N-04.jpg

From one of the normal network ports on your Huawei router (Router 1), connect a Network cable to the WAN port of Router 2. Configure your 2nd ISP details under the PPPoE page of Router 2 and it will create a bridged connection across router 1 over the ADSL line to the ISP. From there you can use the WiFi and remaining 4 ports on Router 2 as you normally would.

Last edited:

bangbang

From one of the normal network ports on your Huawei router (Router 1), connect a Network cable to the WAN port of Router 2. Configure your 2nd ISP details under the PPPoE page of Router 2 and it will create a bridged connection across router 1 over the ADSL line to the ISP. From there you can use the WiFi and remaining 4 ports on Router 2 as you normally would.

Thank you so much for the explanation I feel I can try this on the weekend and see how it goes.

I have one challenge with this setup one router will be upstairs and 1 router downstairs. I have a Telkom jack up stairs and 1 downstairs. Is there a work around where I use the Jack connections just to save me the mission of getting a network cable through the roof and floor.

One other question to all who have been so helpful, is there a method that could use the Dlink Router/modem? I hate leaving technology to be in a box albeit it was only R500 bucks still irks me.

bigboy529

Expert Member
Guys sorry to bug in here with a slightly off topic question, but hope I can get a quick answer otherwise I'll start a new thred. I have a 2 MB ADSL account with MWeb and have reached my fair usage cap. Now I want to buy some prepaid data from Afrihost and use it for 30 days or so just to get my MWeb accounts usage back in order and under control. Thing is my ADSL line is also with MWeb and not with Telkom, so would I be able to log in with the Afrihost details and use the account even though my line is still with MWeb? Keep in mind I don't intend leaving MWeb, I'm very happy with their service and have been for the last 10 years or so, I just want to use the Afrihost account for a while.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Guys sorry to bug in here with a slightly off topic question, but hope I can get a quick answer otherwise I'll start a new thred. I have a 2 MB ADSL account with MWeb and have reached my fair usage cap. Now I want to buy some prepaid data from Afrihost and use it for 30 days or so just to get my MWeb accounts usage back in order and under control. Thing is my ADSL line is also with MWeb and not with Telkom, so would I be able to log in with the Afrihost details and use the account even though my line is still with MWeb? Keep in mind I don't intend leaving MWeb, I'm very happy with their service and have been for the last 10 years or so, I just want to use the Afrihost account for a while.

Yes, just swap the account details on the router. You can log back in with the Mweb details later.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle

Um, we already answered you in your other thread.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Thank you so much for the explanation I feel I can try this on the weekend and see how it goes.

I have one challenge with this setup one router will be upstairs and 1 router downstairs. I have a Telkom jack up stairs and 1 downstairs. Is there a work around where I use the Jack connections just to save me the mission of getting a network cable through the roof and floor.

One other question to all who have been so helpful, is there a method that could use the Dlink Router/modem? I hate leaving technology to be in a box albeit it was only R500 bucks still irks me.
Nope, no practical way to do this using Telkom wires - if they were dead, yes, since Ethernet uses only 4 wires. Either pull Ethernet cable or use these: http://www.takealot.com/billion-ethernet-over-power-adapter-bundle/PLID34201275.

If you want to use the Dlink without too much complication you can ask Telkom to install another line and ADSL at your home..They typically pull in 4 wires per home, 2 of which are used for one line/ADSL.

I've read your OP again and TBH the easiest and most cost effective way of doing this is to create a PPPoE connection, using your capped account, from whichever device you are gaming from. This is possible on PC and PS3/4, not sure about XBONE. You configure the uncapped account on your current Huawei router and let it do its thing while you make a ad-hoc PPPoE connection whenever you game.

Last edited:

Gallodeep

10 mb is out of my price range the cheapest 10 mg uncapped line i could find was 899 with cybersmart but then I still have to pay telkom their R200 odd bucks. which is all out of my price range.

The plan is to go no dstv for netflix and streaming all live sport on other sites. I havent run this system long enough to figure out usage but some buddies have said I would need a fair amount of Data.

Telkom hada deal that for R499 pm I am getting the telephone line, 4 mg adsl line, 20 gig data, and few other things thrown in (3g dongle ,modem). It is cheaper than any other option even if I throw in a 4mb uncapped account less than R295 with cybersmart.

I have heard a lot of not so great stories about poor gaming performance on uncapped accounts around 6-9pm which is the time I play.

Basically I want my cake and I want to eat it.
Dude jst sign up with mweb i can game the whole day on xbox live without any hassles and am on uncapped 4mbps (normal).

Gallodeep

Or get the 4mg premium uncapped it will serve all ur needs as one package..

bangbang

I've read your OP again and TBH the easiest and most cost effective way of doing this is to create a PPPoE connection, using your capped account, from whichever device you are gaming from. This is possible on PC and PS3/4, not sure about XBONE. You configure the uncapped account on your current Huawei router and let it do its thing while you make a ad-hoc PPPoE connection whenever you game.

Regarding this quote and previous explanantions

this is what I understand I need to try.

Step 1 Jack 1 upstairs with Gaming PC,
Step 2 plug router in jack and into PC(Ethernet cable) not sure how to configure this one but this router 1 will just be for the PC

Step 3 Jack 2 Downstairs plug router in for wifi around the house this will be the uncapped all connecting router (i figure this one will have details for ISP and will connect directly.)

Step 4 the router and pc configuration is where I am lost as mentioned. I get the theory around a PPPoE connection for the direct connection between pc and internet etc but not sure what to do here. Will I be able to access bot routers from my main pc and throttle things from there?

Setting up this 1st router seems pretty straight forward it is the second one that is an issue. I know some mentioned using the WAN port but that entails getting a LAN cable from downstairs to up stairs.

Would appreciate any help. This is going to be a saturday morning project.