2011 Super Rugby (Super 15) thread

How can you say they choked? They got beaten by a better team. A choke is when you get nailed by worse opponents or you chuck away a winning position.

They never choked, they were beaten by a better team.
While I do see your point, there were various factors that were hugely advantageous to the Stormers before the match started, namely:

(1) Homeground advantage

(2) A bye the previous week

(3) No travelling through timezones.

Also given that the previous result between the Crusaders and the Stormers was 20-14 [in the league game], it was not unreasonable to expect that the Stormers could pull it off. But yes, during the actual game, they were never in a winning position, so maybe the word 'choked' was not used correctly.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
While I do see your point, there were various factors that were hugely advantageous to the Stormers before the match started, namely:

(1) Homeground advantage

(2) A bye the previous week

(3) No travelling through timezones.

Also given that the previous result between the Crusaders and the Stormers was 20-14 [in the league game], it was not unreasonable to expect that the Stormers could pull it off. But yes, during the actual game, they were never in a winning position, so maybe the word 'choked' was not used correctly.
1 - I am from the Western Cape, and trust me it was more like the only home game for the Crusaders. Most of my friends that were there support the Crusaders above the Stormers.

2 - True

3 - Although travelling to Africa is better than to NZ. But it didn't seem that the Crusaders are fazed to much by this.

The league game was without Carter and McCaw (probably the two most influential people in the game) if I remember correctly, while we only missed Grant.

Absolutely bloody pathetic. Why is it that other countries appreciate our home grown talent more than we do????
We play "bigger" players and we play a bit more of a northen - hem. style of rugby than either NZ or Aus... think it was Robbie deans or Eddy who said something like:" In SA they have some of the best rugby talents BUT they get tought from primary school to follow the game plan of pass it to the biggest player and thus the ball andling skills are left behind a bit".

PDV must be ****ting his pants now.
lol, nha I doubt he worries too much. Big golden handshake when he steps down etc etc...

The Stormers are becoming like the Proteas of rugby - chokers :(
Nha, the bulls also lost two semis in a row in the super rugby series before finally making it (and they had many more experienced players).

correct craig. the manner how the crusaders beat the stormers so easily is very worrying. I tip the All Blacks to win the world cup, although i want to us to win it again. the saders have demolished every sa teams front row. if pdv play the same old bulls rugby i'm afraid we going to get murdered and embaressed in this world cup. even the aussies look really good. worrying times ahead. i hope we pick the right combinations and players on form.
Erm just a few things mate:

Nr1: Test rugby is 10 man rugby....
Nr2: The bulls have scored more points iirc by a fair margin in both the 2010 and 2008 season... They also outscored the Lions. sharks and Stormers in 2011. I would rather win then play like the french and have an empty throphy cabinet.
Nr3: I agree that with the right combos we can win the WC.

Ps WTF happened to the Stormers forwards?! Come scrum time the got bullied badly by a pack that was +- 40kg lighter iirc! :wtf:

Last edited:
50kg lighter :/ Don't know how that happened, but it just about summed up the game.
The fact that the Crusaders Scrum also bullied the Sharks scrum a bit does not make me feel a lot better about the WC as I am sure we will mostly be using the Sharks front row....