40% students consider emigrating

K

kingrob

But PLEASE come and visit us here in Souf Efrica, don't leave us forever!!

White people are becoming an endangered specie in South Africa and will be forced to live in reserves.

Just like you pay to go to the zoo, you will have to pay if you want to see what white people look like, that is if you're black. :)

vespax

Expert Member
Nooo please stay. Stay forever in S.A. I will miss you to much honest ;)

If you do insist on going back then I'll see you there:cool: . Also be sure not to vote under any circumstances.
Can't tell how much sarcasm is in there, but I will just make myself feel better and believe I would be missed by some good folks here. :rolleyes:

kingrob said:
But PLEASE come and visit us here in Souf Efrica, don't leave us forever!!

White people are becoming an endangered specie in South Africa and will be forced to live in reserves.

Just like you pay to go to the zoo, you will have to pay if you want to see what white people look like, that is if you're black.
Don't worry, if I do return back to the states, I will always visit since half the family lives here and the soon to be born son will be half SA citizen! :D

Besides, SA is too great of a place to geocache in. I have come to love the geography of SA immensly through exploring outside my jail cell windows! But like I said, I haven't decided if I am leaving yet, things are actually turning out well for me in the past few weeks. I will work hard and see what my options are like in May/June before deciding on buying the plane ticket to JFK.

Getting a job as an IT professional in a financial field is really the dog work.... Maintaining COBOL mainframes and 30 year old desktop programs.. if thats what you want to do... great... Web designers dont usually need university degrees

(not all financial institutions use legacy software.. and there are some high tech ones that are few and far between)
Well, that's weird, I was looking at IT courses at my school and one of them was COBOL Programming, and I was thinking to myself... "who the hell uses that?" ... well seems like South Africa still does :eek:.

kingmonty

Expert Member
Well, that's weird, I was looking at IT courses at my school and one of them was COBOL Programming, and I was thinking to myself... "who the hell uses that?" ... well seems like South Africa still does :eek:.
A lot of American companies use COBOL.

IamCanadian

Banned
But yet the country and it's govt is still good enough to educate them to help them run to the UK.

What a bunch of hypocrites.
Don't be so hard. They are simply looking for a better future. The one in SA is not positive to say the least.

RichardP

Banned
But yet the country and it's govt is still good enough to educate them to help them run to the UK.

What a bunch of hypocrites.
Sorry Tibby, but I am too white to work for Telkom in South Africa... I now work for a company that manufactures equipment that telkom and sentech uses. I am not good enuf in my own country. Instead of paying me a salary in rands, they will rather pay in Euro for the same software engineer! 'cummon tibby.dude - the writing is on the wall. Being loyal to the SA Govt does not put food on the table and keep my family safe.

yes, I am a hipocrate - but a happy one.

IamCanadian

Banned
For what it's worth, I work in advertising in Calgary. My compensation with bonuses works out to about R422,000.00 per year. This is an average for where I work on the sales side in my company.

As a side note I met 2 South African families on friday night in my area. There are more and more moving here.

RichardP

Banned
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/11/02/nspy02.xml

I guess our outlook differs on what is important to us in life.
This is true Tibby..... but are you guilty of an offence that you dont want cameras ? Too scared of not being a law abiding citizen? I would rather have a camera in a 100% Criminal conviction rate than 0 cameras and Murder that is out of control .. what is important to you?

Besides ... I know of 4 city councils that have had survelance cameras for the past 10 years, just 'cos its not in the media doesnt mean the SA govt is not watching you.

some food for thought.

Last edited:

icyrus

Executive Member

jontyB

Expert Member
You're right, being spied on is much worse then being rapped or murdered...

The mind boggles. While we in SA are swamped with third world problems and thinking you have the nerve to say we are better of than England because we dont - yet - have that particular first world problem?

You really are a laugh.
Cape Town has many Closed Circuit TV cameras systems, maintained and administrated by business against crime. There's one on almost every street corner in the CBD, and there are several along the N1 all the way to Bellville. Ironic isn't it, if you consider Tibby lives in the Western Cape?

Alan

Honorary Master
Cape Town has many Closed Circuit TV cameras systems, maintained and administrated by business against crime. There's one on almost every street corner in the CBD, and there are several along the N1 all the way to Bellville. Ironic isn't it, if you consider Tibby lives in the Western Cape?
We got CCTV here in PMB. My dad is involved with it. Can't say anymore though.

noxibox

Honorary Master
How far do you want the surveillance to go? Shouldn't we be spying on everyone 24 hours a day to make sure they don't do anything naughty?

The UK police have admitted the cameras don't prevent crime. They do sometimes help in catching a criminal. Overall you can if you wish commit crimes without worrying too much about the cameras catching you.

telkomsuig

Expert Member
Educated blacks left due to apartheid in 1960's to 1990's whites are leaving due to affirmative action (at least I am).

If all goes well I should be out of the country by Febuary next year.

simple_simon

Expert Member
It is rather elementary.

For example the govt gives UCT R244.5 million each year as a subsidy which covers 63% of their funding requirements and the rest they get from student fees and other grants and investments etc .....

Afaik a total of 5 BILLION is allocated to tertiary institutions in the budget.

So it is a fact this govt PAYS for a BIG chunk of your studies and without their funding you would frankly not be able to do so unless your parents could cough up double or triple what they are paying now.
R5 billion isn't enough.....we should at least quadruple our spending on education. knowledge/education is the only path to upliftment....as long as the government ****s about with this matter, poverty will remain

duderoo

Expert Member
Educated blacks left due to apartheid in 1960's to 1990's whites are leaving due to affirmative action (at least I am).

If all goes well I should be out of the country by Febuary next year.
AA needs to stop, I would hate to know I got a job because of AA and not my skills.

IanC

Expert Member
AA needs to stop, I would hate to know I got a job because of AA and not my skills.
That is, unfortunately, the problem with AA i.e. you don't honestly know if you got the job because of your skills or because of AA ... and those who don't benefit from AA will automatically assume that you got the job due to AA. So even if you make an honest mistake (as anyone can) while on the job, it'll get labelled with the AA tag.

Angelo

Expert Member
That is, unfortunately, the problem with AA i.e. you don't honestly know if you got the job because of your skills or because of AA ... and those who don't benefit from AA will automatically assume that you got the job due to AA. So even if you make an honest mistake (as anyone can) while on the job, it'll get labelled with the AA tag.
Much better than not getting a job because you are black.