512k down to 384k - Telkom ADSL downgrade Fee

Saajid

Expert Member
Hi

I currently have a 512kbps ADSL line with Telkom. I now want to downgrade it to 384kbps, and then migrate the line to either SAOL or Cybersmart, so that I can sign up for an uncapped offering.

I phoned Telkom this morning, and they now want to charge me a downgrade fee of R390!! :eek::eek:

Does anyone know how to get around this? Like maybe cancel ADSL completely, and then re-apply with self-install option? Does anybody know if this will work?

My current ISP is Afrihost, and not TelkomInternet, so no worries in that department.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
phone them again and say if they are going to charge you you will cancel the DSL and then reapply using the self install option. I've seen a few posts here where guys have successfully reapplied.

Red tape...unbelievable!

Sting

Ghost in the Machine
Or apply in person at a Telkom direct shop and then use the "cancel ADSL and reapply using the self install option" tactic. They have sales targets so they will be eager to assist!

/the disconnection does not impact their own sales target!

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Yip, there's no cancellation fee for ADSL, so just cancel your ADSL line, and reapply after it's been cancelled. Stupid, but dem's the breaks.

Saajid

Expert Member
So I phoned Telkom a 2nd time to downgrade, and this time the consultant told me that there is no downgrade fee. I asked her if she is absolutely sure, and she said that she is. I told her that if I am charged for the downgrade, I will hold her responsible. She said that its fine, and even gave me a reference number (an order number I think). She was really confident that there is no downgrade fee. I even told her that the previous consultant told me that there is a downgrade fee, but she was insistent that there isn't a downgrade fee.

In any case, the line was downgraded within a 2 hours (possibly less, I only checked my modem after 2 hours, it was syncing it 384kbps.)

I'll have to wait for the next invoice to confirm if there is a downgrade fee...

Sting

Ghost in the Machine
You won't be charged, but keep that ref number handy; you might have to make a call to 10210 next month!!!!

Kaufies

Expert Member
I have never been charged a downgrade fee so I assume the second person you spoke to is correct. Enjoy the uncapped:)