80mbps VDSL ?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
We do have pretty bad lines in our estate, however it would be sweet to get something a little faster than 40mbps. Not sure if Telkom has plans to every launch faster packages.

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
We do have pretty bad lines in our estate, however it would be sweet to get something a little faster than 40mbps. Not sure if Telkom has plans to every launch faster packages.
I'm sure there is a reason but I don't know what it is, if there is no reasonable reason I can't see why they don't want to make more money offering 60Mbps and 80Mbps.

ITU G.993.2 (VDSL2) does support 100Mbps up and down.

Last edited:

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
For 80meg you would have to be quite close to the exchange /isam (or whatever it's called) and that would limit the amount of users quite a bit.

Unless telkom release FTTC

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Hopefully once they give up hope of putting fibre everywhere they will give faster VDSL to those of us who are left behind.

vdsl2.PNG

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
+1

Yeah his SNR should be much higher. 14.9dB attenuation you probably should have 15dB or so maybe more if you have a decent line.
I still can't believe the difference VDSL made for me, I went from a bare minimum of 6.0dB to over 30dB.

I thought I had a horrible line.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I suggest you drop down to 40meg instead of 45meg and switch from interleaved mode to fast path.
I'm quite happy on 40bmps - it's just that more is always better. Been on 40mbps since April last year with not issues at all. Only now that I have a fancy new router can I see my line is, in theory, capable of higher speeds.

I stay about 600m from the exchange.
vdsl3.jpg

Mr.Jax

Expert Member
Lol mine reports a max attainable rate of 125Mbps with downlink SNR of around 20dB @ 45Mbps sync.

Rouxenator, which ASUS DSL router are you using there?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
OK, found a page that might let me mess around with those settings. Feel free to make recommendations.

vdsl4.PNG

It's an ASUS DSL-AC52U

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
They probably won't as it would require good quality copper and only a handful of people would be able to get it, it would cause quite an admin hassle, especially as any changes to line quality would have immediate repercussions.

They'd only move to this if they could offer it to enough people and by the time that most of the market wants to be connected at that speed we'd have moved on to fiber technologies. (probably "far" into the future)

cavedog

Honorary Master
I still can't believe the difference VDSL made for me, I went from a bare minimum of 6.0dB to over 30dB.

I thought I had a horrible line.
Yeah me too. I always advise anyone if you can get VDSL do it. It performs so much better. Don't stay on ADSL2+ if you have VDSL coverage. Extra headache for nothing.