80mbps VDSL ?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I'm 670m from exchange according cable route, SDC is like 15m from my gate though, TelkomZA guy said they installed a ISAM at my exchange
So that means the Ethernet backhaul is now possible at that exchange.
Now it depends on what line cards are installed in the ISAM. ISAMs can support, from ADSL to VDSL line cards. It is an open question whether OpenServe will convert to VDSL2 and its variants given their commitment to deploy FTTH.

The whole debate is almost totally dominated by what technologies OpenServe have decided to deploy in an exchange area and what their upgrade path is for that exchange. It is not something users are able to dictate and request.

The whole upgrade path regarding xDSL technologies has always been about:

(1) Increasing the data rate capabilities
(2) Increasing the reach over which xDSL service can be provided
(3) Increasing performance over poor copper connections.

KOPITE

Executive Member
So that means the Ethernet backhaul is now possible at that exchange.
Now it depends on what line cards are installed in the ISAM. ISAMs can support, from ADSL to VDSL line cards. It is an open question whether OpenServe will convert to VDSL2 and its variants given their commitment to deploy FTTH.

The whole debate is almost totally dominated by what technologies OpenServe have decided to deploy in an exchange area and what their upgrade path is for that exchange. It is not something users are able to dictate and request.

The whole upgrade path regarding xDSL technologies has always been about:

(1) Increasing the data rate capabilities
(2) Increasing the reach over which xDSL service can be provided
(3) Increasing performance over poor copper connections.
They also busy installing a MSAN 1km from the exchange where businesses are located and probably catering for them as distance is probably an issue. A few hundred meters down my area Corline also installed a manhole on a corner, so not sure if they running fiber or installing another SDC perhaps.

KOPITE

Executive Member
After 2 days or so you will be pushed to 45 147k.... Your SNR went up because VDSL handles the line much better and you can not estimate VDSL line stats or speeds while syncing on ADSL2+ because it's misleading.
What router are you using bud, I've got s billion 8800nxl with a Broadcom chipset. I'm not that far from the exchange, so I wonder what my speeds would be if I use a lantic or ralink router chipset. Broadcom is more for unstable lines at long distances and lantic for shorter distances with better stable lines.

What modulation should I choose under the Wan settings?

Hummercellc

Expert Member
While y'all debate maximum speed on VDSL I sit here on ADSL with a copper length of 380meters to the IMAX, praying everyday that OpenServe swap it out for a MSAN/ISAM.... Feels like I am in the dark ages.... I have emailed, phoned, flooded Facebook with requests to have our area upgraded. But zero notice was taken....

cavedog

Honorary Master
While y'all debate maximum speed on VDSL I sit here on ADSL with a copper length of 380meters to the IMAX, praying everyday that OpenServe swap it out for a MSAN/ISAM.... Feels like I am in the dark ages.... I have emailed, phoned, flooded Facebook with requests to have our area upgraded. But zero notice was taken....
IMAX can handle 20Mbps adsl2+ so you atleast get the speed. Unless your IMAX is not served with metro ethernet unlikely but still possible.

Hummercellc

Expert Member
IMAX can handle 20Mbps adsl2+ so you atleast get the speed. Unless your IMAX is not served with metro ethernet unlikely but still possible.
Our IMAX was on 3X6mbps ATM links, which were congested 100% of the time. Then after getting the entire town to log faults and over 8 months of constant fighting they installed a 1gigabit ME link to our IMAX here. I have 20mbps ADSL lines already. But the upload speed are terrible at 1mbps.... I wish OpenServe would pull finger and upgrade our area.

Thor

Honorary Master
Been saying this for years. Why Telkom never pushed VDSL is beyond me. I mean fck it's the same line.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Been saying this for years. Why Telkom never pushed VDSL is beyond me. I mean fck it's the same line.
Have to upgrade the exchanges, quality of copper, distance to exchange (I wonder how many are within 2km versus outside of it), can it make a profit e.g. area where people can't afford/don't want to move to higher speeds (your area you might want a fast speed, but what about your neighbors, are they "ou tannies" (not sure I spelled that correctly), etc.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Good question. I don't think the older dslams and IMAX supports VDSL. Even if they did Telkom pushed adsl for so long if they force VDSL then it could cause massive headache.

I don't see why they just don't offer VDSL to people connected to an ISAM because it eliminate so many issues with line stability.
I think I'm on the older dslam, so can't get vdsl.. Think Im about 500m or so from the exchange, so I'll just stick to being fortunate on a 20mbps line on adsl2+

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Have to upgrade the exchanges, quality of copper, distance to exchange (I wonder how many are within 2km versus outside of it), can it make a profit e.g. area where people can't afford/don't want to move to higher speeds (your area you might want a fast speed, but what about your neighbors, are they "ou tannies" (not sure I spelled that correctly), etc.
Ou tannies want higher speeds buddy lol....:D

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
In our case we asked bother? Because originally they were going to refurbish the copper cabling feeding our area. Then after evaluation they switched to a decision to put in fibre instead. We then said well then forget the VDSL upgrade -- rather use that equipment somewhere else.

So now we wait ..... and wait ..... and ....