80mbps VDSL ?

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Yeah me too. I always advise anyone if you can get VDSL do it. It performs so much better. Don't stay on ADSL2+ if you have VDSL coverage. Extra headache for nothing.
I'm sad that my ISP doesn't offer it. It looks like only Telkom does, am I right?

If so, then no thanks.

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
I suggest you drop down to 40meg instead of 45meg and switch from interleaved mode to fast path.
Why?

He clearly wants faster internet speeds, unless he is a hardcore game an extra 15 - 25ms isn't going to matter to him.

Fast path = low latency, 15 - 25ms less than Interleaved.

Interleaved = faster download, 300 - 400KB/s more on a 40Mbps sync.

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
I'm sad that my ISP doesn't offer it. It looks like only Telkom does, am I right?

If so, then no thanks.
Nope all ISP's offer it. It's an Openserve product. 20Mbps offered on ADSL2+ or VDSL. If VDSL is available then switch if it's not available then you get get stuck with adsl2+

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Why?

He clearly wants faster internet speeds, unless he is a hardcore game an extra 15 - 25ms isn't going to matter to him.

Fast path = low latency, 15 - 25ms less than Interleaved.

Interleaved = faster download, 300 - 400KB/s more on a 40Mbps sync.
Doesn't matter what his sync speed is, if his account is limited to 40meg he will get 40meg, no more.

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
Why doesn't it make sense?

Crystalweb.
Line rental and management prices

2 Mbps ----> R 149

4 Mbps ----> R 249

8 Mbps ----> R 365

10 Mbps ----> R 375

20 Mbps ----> R 399

40 Mbps ----> R 499

Directly from Crystal Web. Enjoy.

Vorastra

His SNR is actually bad in relation to his Attenuation.
Not sure how that is true. It's SNR margin not actual SNR meaning he is 8.5dB above what the router deems is necessary to sync cleanly. His line attenuation is fine. The lower it is the closer he is to the exchange.

Or am I not understanding something here?

Last edited:

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
Doesn't matter what his sync speed is, if his account is limited to 40meg he will get 40meg, no more.
What if he has a capped account that isn't limited to a certain speed?

Also if he is on 40Mbps uncapped limited to 40Mbps speeds the 45Mbps is still slower than 40Mbps because of overheads etc

He currently gets 4835KB/s and a 40Mbps line without overhead would give 5120KB/s.

So if he doesn't care about latency he should stay on Interleaved.

Last edited:

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
Not sure how that is true. It's SNR margin not actual SNR meaning he is 8.5dB above what the router deems is necessary to sync cleanly. His line attenuation is fine. The lower it is the closer he is to the exchange.
The lowest SNR allowed by Openserve to sync on their network is 6.0dB, his SNR is 8.5dB.

This is absolutely fine and he is syncing at full speed, I was just saying with such a low Attenuation one would expect the SNR to be higher.

My Attenuation is 16.8dB and my SNR is 30.3dB.

Vorastra

The lowest SNR allowed by Openserve to sync on their network is 6.0dB, his SNR is 8.5dB.

This is absolutely fine and he is syncing at full speed, I was just saying with such a low Attenuation one would expect the SNR to be higher.

My Attenuation is 16.8dB and my SNR is 30.3dB.
OK fair enough, but what I'm saying is that his SNR is not 8.5. His SNR margin is 8.5 meaning he is 8.5db above the SNR needed to sync at the 45Mbit he's at atm. We don't know what his actual SNR is. The 6dB requirement is SNR not SNR margin.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
I'm sure there is a reason but I don't know what it is, if there is no reasonable reason I can't see why they don't want to make more money offering 60Mbps and 80Mbps.

ITU G.993.2 (VDSL2) does support 100Mbps up and down.
Fibre?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
G.Fast gives 1gbps over copper.
Code:
Distance	Performance target
<100 m, FTTB	500–1000 Mbit/s
100 m	500 Mbit/s
200 m	200 Mbit/s
250 m	150 Mbit/s
500 m	100 Mbit/s
OP is definitely not getting 1Gbps. I don't see why people keep punting G.Fast, it is expensive to roll out, requires the copper to be properly maintained (which Telkom doesn't seem to do) and easily superseded by fiber which results in all the nodes installed next to the customer being near worthless, rather just roll out fiber and have a slightly higher up-front cost.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
I would love fibre but I can't get it and I'm sure there is a couple thousand people that can get faster VDSL speeds that also can't get fibre.
I know, but was responding to a post asking why no 80mbps vdsl.. Think fibre is the reason, which a shame, because not everybody can get fibre right now

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Our MSAN is fibre fed, it needs to be to offer VDSL speed. So my question is why not give it more capacity and in turn give the maximum throughput on the last mile (copper) using technologies such as VDSL? Clearly from the stats on my router the line should be able to handle a little more than 40mbps?

Fibre is a pipe dream (in some cases literally) since plenty of places will be stuck with copper forever.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Our MSAN is fibre fed, it needs to be to offer VDSL speed. So my question is why not give it more capacity and in turn give the maximum throughput on the last mile (copper) using technologies such as VDSL? Clearly from the stats on my router the line should be able to handle a little more than 40mbps?

Fibre is a pipe dream (in some cases literally) since plenty of places will be stuck with copper forever.
Because telkom doesnt give a sh*t what the customer wants.