80mbps VDSL ?

ranger

Expert Member
I wonder if they will ever give 80mbps as an option on VDSL?
Why aim so low, how about 100 down 10 up ?

Code:
       VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
               Line Rate:      3.129 Mbps       45.147 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate:      3.072 Mbps       45.055 Mbps
          Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
              SNR Margin:       19.6 dB           25.8 dB
            Actual Delay:          4 ms              8 ms
          Transmit Power:      -24.2 dBm          14.5 dBm
           Receive Power:      -39.5 dBm           2.3 dBm
              Actual INP:        2.0 symbols       3.0 symbols
       Total Attenuation:        0.0 dB          15.1 dB
Attainable Net Data Rate:      9.654 Mbps      125.127 Mbps
I don't think it's because Telkom doesn't care, the real issue is benefits vs. additional problems or support effort.

For example, operators in some other countries offer e.g. 76Mbps VDSL2 products, for example BT Infinity, however Only 1 percent of “up to 76Mbps“ customers actually get 76Mbps from UK ISPs, and that is with a much higher population density.

Nevertheless, I am asking the question ...

KOPITE

Executive Member
I'm quite happy on 40bmps - it's just that more is always better. Been on 40mbps since April last year with not issues at all. Only now that I have a fancy new router can I see my line is, in theory, capable of higher speeds.

I stay about 600m from the exchange.
View attachment 400371
I don't even have 40mb/s yet, and you want faster speeds, what on earth would you do on faster speeds and what do you need it for.

Can you only get fiber if they lay fiber to your SDC from the exchange or MSAN and then get them to lay fiber from SDC to DP in the air or dig up ground from SDC into your home?

KOPITE

Executive Member
Just got bumped up to 40mb/s
My snr has increased from 14 to 22.9

IMG_20161114_162650.jpg

cavedog

Honorary Master
Just got bumped up to 40mb/s
My snr has increased from 14 to 22.9

View attachment 401045
After 2 days or so you will be pushed to 45 147k.... Your SNR went up because VDSL handles the line much better and you can not estimate VDSL line stats or speeds while syncing on ADSL2+ because it's misleading.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
After 2 days or so you will be pushed to 45 147k.... Your SNR went up because VDSL handles the line much better and you can not estimate VDSL line stats or speeds while syncing on ADSL2+ because it's misleading.
So is that whole 700M max for VDSL a sham?

cavedog

Honorary Master
So is that whole 700M max for VDSL a sham?
700m yes. I'm @ 1.2km and sync 22.5Mbps VDSL with a SNR of 23dB...... Max I could sync at was 38Mbps with SNR 6dB so I decided to keep with 20Mbps.

cavedog

Honorary Master
The main thing people are getting wrong when looking at line stats are the line stats in relation to the technology.

FOR EXAMPLE.

20Mbps adsl2+ sync Attenuation 10dB SNR 15dB

If one had line stats like that you would assume the stats would look similar in VDSL that is where people are wrong because the max of ADSL2+ is 24Mbps the distance you have to be from the dslam/exchnage is just under 1KM give or take.

Now VDSL max is 100Mbps down and 50Mbps up so one have to consider that 24Mbps is max adsl2+ so the stats would not look the same on VDSL2 which has a max of 100Mbps this a 20Mbps VDSL2 service will have much better line stats at the same distance compared to a adsl2+ service at the same speed.

I think if you want to have a better estimate you have to look at line stats of a 8Mbps or 10Mbps adsl2+ if you want to move to 20Mbps VDSL2

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
The main thing people are getting wrong when looking at line stats are the line stats in relation to the technology.

FOR EXAMPLE.

If one had line stats like that you would assume the stats would look similar in VDSL that is where people are wrong because the max of ADSL2+ is 24Mbps the distance you have to be from the dslam/exchnage is just under 1KM give or take.

Now VDSL max is 100Mbps down and 50Mbps up so one have to consider that 24Mbps is max adsl2+ so the stats would not look the same on VDSL2 which has a max of 100Mbps this a 20Mbps VDSL2 service will have much better line stats at the same distance compared to a adsl2+ service at the same speed.

I think if you want to have a better estimate you have to look at line stats of a 8Mbps or 10Mbps adsl2+ if you want to move to 20Mbps VDSL2
So why dont they scrap ADSL and have 2/4/8/10meg VDSL?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Here are some examples....

New line installed still on 10Mbps ADSL2+

Same line moved to 20Mbps but still on ADSL2+ Slight difference in attenuation but it's because of a different router I guess.

Same line moved to 20Mbps VDSL2 profile. Higher attenuation once VDSL change over but also higher SNR with more speed same distance.

Same line moved to 40Mbps VDSL2 profile

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Because not all exchange areas have been converted to VDSL technologies .....

In theory, there is no reason why you cannot run a VDSL service at 2 Mbps.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

FOR EXAMPLE.

Yes, up to a point (between 1.6km and 2km, 23 to 26dB on ADSL2+) according to:
dsl-speed-comparisons.jpg

Wikipedia NL diagram says that VDSL2 is always slightly better (everyone else says near no to no difference past ~1.8km)
VDSL2_Snelheid.gif

EDIT: netherlands one could be VDSL2 long reach 2, it is soon to be released.
long_reach_vdsl2_fttc_performance_prediction.gif
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/04/bt-openreach-prep-trial-long-reach-vdsl-broadband.html

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
Good question. I don't think the older dslams and IMAX supports VDSL. Even if they did Telkom pushed adsl for so long if they force VDSL then it could cause massive headache.

I don't see why they just don't offer VDSL to people connected to an ISAM because it eliminate so many issues with line stability.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Yes, up to a point (between 1.6km and 2km, 23 to 26dB on ADSL2+) according to:

Wikipedia NL diagram says that VDSL2 is always slightly better (everyone else says near no to no difference past ~1.8km)

EDIT: netherlands one could be VDSL2 long reach 2, it is soon to be released.
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/04/bt-openreach-prep-trial-long-reach-vdsl-broadband.html

100% correct to a point. Now since we have a 20Mbps option that allows both ADSL2+ and VDSL2 on this specific package and lower speeds too it would almost always be a better option to switch to VDSL2 compared to ADSL2+ since 20Mbps is close to maxing ADSL2+ but only getting started on VDSL2 so yeah that is why I say most cases not all.

Last edited:

KOPITE

Executive Member
Ok cool man