8ta Port Inquiry

Pervy Sage

Anyone know if there's an altenative way to port to 8ta? I really don't wanna go to a Telkom direct store & would prefare not to deal with the call centre as they normally complicate things more. It was rather easy porting from MTN to Cell C but after the recent throughput issues from Cell C i've decided to switch. Any info will be useful.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Don't port before testing on prepaid.
Test 8ta-only prepaid bundle 2+1MB R149.
Test Cell C with prepaid SIM. Red Bull Mobile starter pack 200MBx12 R99 in Cell C shops. This is the best prepaid offer ever.

Pervy Sage

Mmh, having used Cell C a lot in the past, i'm really grateful for their low cost low end bundles. I know i won't get ripped off if i decide to load a 100MB bundle if that monthly allowance does get depleted. But i fear that will just be plagued by the same performance issues i've encountered in the past. I have an 8ta sim lying around somewhere so i could mine it out & test their network from that, but it didn't give me issues the first time (about a year & a half ago). But that's not my current concern, i wanna use my main number on the 8ta network for a while, at least untill Cell C fixes their network, & all i had to do to port to Cell C was send an SMS. Is there a similar way of porting to 8ta, or do i have to take the initiarive to go deal with their less than knowledgeable stuff?

sajunky

Honorary Master
I repeat: Don't port before testing yourself on prepaid. There is orchestrated campain against Cell C, now consumer grievance seems to shift against 8ta. You have to test it by yourself, don't depend on anonymous users reports. I was on Cell C before, recently 8ta for around one year, now using RBM starter pack (Cell C network). I must say that Cell C is not worse than it was one year ago. Also real poeple I know who use Cell C don't have problems to the extend as reported elsewere.

Last edited:

Pervy Sage

Thanks, i've manage to dig out my old 8ta sim & it still works. I'll be using it the whole week to see how it fares.

Diego Tristan

My sister is not sure about 8ta port. She's been with Mtn her whole life, but now that she has a new s4 Mini and not a blackberry anymore, mTn is only on edge where we stay. So I feel anything is better than MTN.

Did a speed test today, my cell c is at 7.9MBit and my sister's bf was 2.4mbit (8ta 2+1gb promo) then I tried different servers with 8ta sim,and it never dropped below 1mbit but didn't go much higher than 1.5mbit.

My query is this: use the 8ta sim we've just rica'd (with its own number) or port from mtn to that same 8ta sim...