"A Game of Thrones" discussion thread

alt146

Been following this since they announced they were going to start filming a pilot more than a year ago, it looks really epic and will hopefully motivate ol' George to finish the last three books. HBO has lots of success with more mature shows, plus the production and cast both look top notch. Google 'Werthead's Fantasy', the guy who writes the blog has been invited to the set a couple of times and met most of the cast.

wrt to special effects and stuff, I think there will be a fair amount (not as much as something liek WoT might be granted), but there's the direwolves, Daeny's dragons and the badass dragons that we'll see in the flash-backs to the war when Robert took the throne (forget what it's called). If they skimp on any of those a lot of people will be very disappointed.

@ BCO, out of curiosity, if this is the second best fantasy series, what do you rate as the first?

BCO

Honorary Master
@ BCO, out of curiosity, if this is the second best fantasy series, what do you rate as the first?
Uber late reply, but I rate Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series to be the best fantasy.

czc

Honorary Master
I'm going to have to try this series.

Haven't finished Gardens of the Moon after a year, I'll have to start from the beginning.

BCO

Honorary Master
Wowee, lots of tidbits coming out about the show now. Check out this awesome 10 minute video:

[video=youtube;JJR3eBfcusM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJR3eBfcusM&feature=player_embedded[/video]

czc

Honorary Master
http://blogs.forbes.com/laceyrose/2...ts-and-caution/?boxes=businesschannelsections

On April 17th, HBO will take a pricey plunge into the fantasy genre when it debuts its hotly-anticipated series Game Of Thrones.

Though the cult-like interest in a show still months away bodes very well for a network in turn-around mode, staying true to the best-selling series on which it is based won’t come easy. As author of the original A Song of Ice and Fire books George R.R. Martin can tell you, fantasy fans will let you know if they aren’t satisfied.

Wait wait wait! It's coming out in a few weeks? :eek: I thought it was gonna premiere in the US fall season and I only started book 1 on Saturday. :crying:

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
There is also a preview episode floating around... Looks very interesting. Me gonna have to pull the books out again!

Kaleb

Expert Member
Game of Thrones (new series)

Really suprised there wasnt a thread about this, anyway its starting tommorow night.

Seven noble families fight for control of the mythical land of Westeros. Political and sexual intrigue abound. The primary families are the Stark, Lannister, and Baratheon families. Robert Baratheon, King of Westeros, asks his old friend Eddard Stark to serve as his chief advisor. Eddard, suspecting that his predecessor had been murdered, accepts so that he can investigate further. It turns out more than one family is plotting to take the throne. The Queen's family, the Lannisters, may be hatching a plot to take control. Across the sea, the last surviving members of the previously deposed ruling family, the Targaryens, are also plotting a return to power. The conflict between these families and others, including the Greyjoys, the Tullys, the Arryns, and the Tyrells, leads to war. Meanwhile, in the north, an ancient evil awakens. Amidst war and the political confusion, a brotherhood of misfits, The Night's Watch, is all that stands between the realms of men and the horrors beyond.
exclusive 14min sneak peak[video=youtube;JQykXOukM2Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQykXOukM2Q[/video]

Last edited:

BLIXEMPIE

Honorary Master
Downloading Episode 01 now. Watched the preview episode weeks ago. Looks amazing. A bit disappointed with Camelot.

Kaleb

Expert Member
Liked the first episode, had a bit everything in it.

- beheadings
- wolf pups
- boobs
- midgets
- more boobs
- incest
- child death
- even more boobs
- Sean Bean

Looking forward to next episode

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
So has anyone watched the first episode yet?

I thought it was pretty good. Looking forward to the rest.

BCO

Honorary Master
So has anyone watched the first episode yet?

I thought it was pretty good. Looking forward to the rest.
Yeah I watched it. I'm busy re-reading the book at the same time, and I think it's because of this that I'm actually a little disappointed in the show - it just can't compare to the depth of the books. As a standalone tve series though, I reckon Game of Thrones is very good.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Yeah I watched it. I'm busy re-reading the book at the same time, and I think it's because of this that I'm actually a little disappointed in the show - it just can't compare to the depth of the books. As a standalone tve series though, I reckon Game of Thrones is very good.
I see that George R.R. Martin is the co-executive producer... so I would imagine that he has approved any cuts. But from all the reviews I have read so far most people are happy with the closeness to the books, the major differences are that unspoken thoughts in the book have to be converted to speaking parts in the show so that they can convey the intrigue and plot. The biggest character affected there is Cersei... because she is largely silent in the first part of the book.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I loved it... but it was only one episode. I think its hard to do justice in one episode.

BCO

Honorary Master
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the show a lot, but I just felt it lacked the epic scale of the books. For example, Danaerys'and Khal Drogo's wedding in the book was described as having Drogo's whole tribe in attendance - that's 40000 people. But in the tv show it looked like there were 100 people there.