ABSA Credit Card

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Ok, so I decided that it's time to get one. It's not for extravagant shopping. I just often find the loveliest things on international websites(plus they're way cheaper) and I really wanna buy them. Even for some local websites too. Are there any catches/fine prints that I need to know of before I go ahead and get this credit card? I had the Gold card in mind.

LancelotSA

Banned
Yip, now is the perfect time to get one. In fact try to see if you can get more. And look at a personal loan as well. Would be silly not to with interest rates as good as they are now! Make sure you max them as soon as possible too.

Bondizzo

Expert Member
Ok, so I decided that it's time to get one. It's not for extravagant shopping. I just often find the loveliest things on international websites(plus they're way cheaper) and I really wanna buy them. Even for some local websites too. Are there any catches/fine prints that I need to know of before I go ahead and get this credit card? I had the Gold card in mind.

Get the virgin money card, its much better. Virgin money is part of absa

Stokstert

Executive Member
ABSA had a system where you could get a credit card number for once off purchases, like internet purchases. It is much safer and your own card is not compromised. I don't know if that service is still available.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
ABSA had a system where you could get a credit card number for once off purchases, like internet purchases. It is much safer and your own card is not compromised. I don't know if that service is still available.

Damn, that is just what I actually want a credit card for. Was this a long time ago?

Dolby

Honorary Master
Yip, now is the perfect time to get one. In fact try to see if you can get more. And look at a personal loan as well. Would be silly not to with interest rates as good as they are now! Make sure you max them as soon as possible too.

Agreed. I did this ... got about 4 cards. Also decided to take the personal loan ... and I maxed them all!

mercurial

MyBB Legend

Agreed. I did this ... got about 4 cards. Also decided to take the personal loan ... and I maxed them all!

Cool thanks.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master

An excellent idea.

Do they still have it?

ld13

Honorary Master
An excellent idea.
Do they still have it?

Also want to know this - strange that I have never heard of this before? Would be awesome&safe to have this. Given that the fees was reasonable of course.

Some international banks have a similar system I have heard...

Edit: Found a reference to this that dates back from 2005

Last edited:

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Also want to know this - strange that I have never heard of this before? Would be awesome&safe to have this. Given that the fees was reasonable of course.

Some international banks have a similar system I have heard...

I've never heard about this before either, but I'd be darn happy if they still have it.

gifs

Expert Member
If you get a credit card go for Virginmoney as someone else also said. It has no card fees, so its absolutely free. You can also use it as a savings account as you get 9.5% interest on a postive balance.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
If you get a credit card go for Virginmoney as someone else also said. It has no card fees, so its absolutely free. You can also use it as a savings account as you get 9.5% interest on a postive balance.

Then I'm definitely gonna look at that. How long does it take before I actually get the card?

Crusader

Expert Member
The Virginmoney card is definitely the better option. It offers great interest on positive balances, you pay around 2% less interest than other cc, no annual fees and free internet banking as well. If you use it smartly you won't even pay any deposit fees as well.

stoke

Honorary Master
I awlso vote for the Virgin Money CC, so far (6 months) and R0 in fee's.
I kicked Diskoveree to touch (though despite faxing them instructions to close, the CC is still open (2 months now))
I kicked ABSA Platinum to touch (Waaaaaay to many fee's and hidden costs and pathetic to useless service levels)

And ... Virgin Money CC has a really good interest rate on my positive balance. (Master Card)

metalcore

If you use a credit card just for online shopping and then pay it back immediately there aren't interest charges, making it perfectly safe. But people can sometimes get carried away and start dipping into the credit. Try to get a card with the lowest limit possible, just for shopping purposes.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
How does it all actually work? Someone mentioned that they give you a limit when you sign up. How does this all work?