ADSL Kensington B issues

Tezzo

Our ADSL line has been down for the last three days. It only comes on in the morning and late at night.
Does anyone know what the problem is, and how long its going to take to fix it.
Thanks.

Tezzo

It's a 10 mbps line
My ISP is Web Africa
My router is a TP-Link TD-W8968

simonbee

Our ADSL line has been down for the last three days. It only comes on in the morning and late at night.
Does anyone know what the problem is, and how long its going to take to fix it.
Thanks.

Are you aware that fibrehoods is looking to roll out fibre in Kensington B? Could be a better alternative than a slow speed Telkom internet line

ID_10_T

Signup under VANDIA GARDENS AND SURROUNDING SUBURBS for Kensington B

Tezzo

Do you know when Fiberhoods is going to start rolling out in Kensington B?

There is no info on there website about the KB area.

Thanks.

simonbee

Do you know when Fiberhoods is going to start rolling out in Kensington B?

There is no info on there website about the KB area.

Thanks.

fibrehoods are looking for a 30% interest and will then roll out. indications are it could all start as soon as next month. just need to get enough people to show interest!

BANG_Mutha

@simonbee, did you go for the meeting @ Ferndale Village? Any update on the rollout?

Really looking forward to it.

EchoZA

Expert Member
Can you tell what exchange your connected to? I have also noted issues in Kensington.

BANG_Mutha

Also having issues lately. Used to be a time that i synced at a perfect 10mb. Now I noticed disconnects and a drop in sync very often.

EchoZA

Expert Member
I'm on a 10mb, sync'ing at +-8mb, but have noticed that the there seems to be heavy congestion on the exchange. That and the current poor service from Axxess as their back haul is borked doesn't help matters much...

PsyCLown

Expert Member
Hmm, I am also in the area and have a 20Mbit VDSL line and mine is running perfectly.

Sync's at the right speeds and attainable speed is 50Mbit down, 10Mbit up etc.

simonbee

@simonbee, did you go for the meeting @ Ferndale Village? Any update on the rollout?

Really looking forward to it.

I did not go, but signed up weeks ago. Someone was saying they need another 150 people to sign up. I am not sure if that is just for Kensington B or for all the suburbs combined. I am currently on VDSL and have no issues, but would love the higher speeds offered by Fibrehoods, particularly the upload speeds.

BANG_Mutha

Eish you guys are lucky to at least have VDSL. My cable to the exchange is apparently over 3km long which is why I can't get VDSL. Not sure if thats a b*ll story they gave me but thats why I cant get VDSL.

Really hoping this Fibrehood comes through. A Telkom techie told me that they started trenching for a fibre rollout in Victoria...any idea how true this is?

simonbee

have just received an email from fibrehoods

"Thank you to all the residents who took time out of their Saturday and came through to Bean Tree Café to sign up and find out more about Fibrehoods' FTTH (Fibre-To-The-Home) offering.

The uptake required prior to Fibrehoods deploying in the area, is 30% or 450 residents which is required by 7th August 2015. As of Monday 13 July, there are 325 residents who have signed up."

ID_10_T

Eish you guys are lucky to at least have VDSL. My cable to the exchange is apparently over 3km long which is why I can't get VDSL. Not sure if thats a b*ll story they gave me but thats why I cant get VDSL.

Really hoping this Fibrehood comes through. A Telkom techie told me that they started trenching for a fibre rollout in Victoria...any idea how true this is?

If you look at the coverage map you will see only a small part of Victoria Street has VDSL.

http://www.telkom.co.za/coverage/index.html

There is an MSANS box on the corner of Victoria and Abingdon.

The rest run straight through to the exchange in Randburg. About 2-3km.

http://www.telkom.co.za/coverage/index.html

Only Stable connection is ADSL 2+ at 10Meg

lukekay

Hi all,

I am on the FTTH committee from the KRA (Kensington B) side, as stated we are still needing a 175 more people across the all included areas to sign up before 7 August for fibrehoods to break ground and begin rolling out. Tell your neighbours to sign up!! It's a non binding show of interest and will be presented the opportunity to sign up for real once the project goes live.

Telkom are well aware of the issues in our suburb but because it's a minor area they won't be doing anything about it anytime soon - according to the last technician I spoke to about the same issues you are experiencing Tezzo. If anyone would like to ask any questions please pm me and I will send you the google groups mailing group. This will allow fibrehoods to respond directly to your queries.

Hope this helps,
Luke

BANG_Mutha

Don't understand why they can't just reroute the rest of us to the the MSAN in Victoria. Pretty pointless just serving a few people in the area....typical Telskum.

Great stuff Luke, really hope we get it man, trying my best to get people on board. Really think flyers or posters around the targeted areas will get the remaining numbers in. Emails currently going around surely only reach a fraction of the people in these neighborhoods.

simonbee

Don't understand why they can't just reroute the rest of us to the the MSAN in Victoria. Pretty pointless just serving a few people in the area....typical Telskum.

Great stuff Luke, really hope we get it man, trying my best to get people on board. Really think flyers or posters around the targeted areas will get the remaining numbers in. Emails currently going around surely only reach a fraction of the people in these neighborhoods.

i second the idea of flyers or posters. was chatting to my neighbour over the weekend and he had no idea what fibre was or the benefits of it (he did eventually sign up!). We have had emails and whatsapp messages about fibrehoods, but to some people they mean nothing. people also think that signing up is a contract, not an expression of interest. We are so close, Luke, you and the others have worked so hard, let's not fall at the last fence.