Afrihost, Axxess ADSL and 3G issues explained

kianm

Honorary Master
This is the reason why in a serious business environment you need to stay away from ADSL, who has time to toy around with these kind of problems that seem to have become the norm. On the other hand it's quite a good thing that AH at least keeps the people informed about what's going on, because with Telkom all you have is your hope

Napalm

Expert Member
You see now you lose a full day without internet... yet you are paying for a service to be up. No compensation or free data from Afrihost to make up for it or nothing.

MickeyD

RIP
This is the reason why in a serious business environment you need to stay away from ADSL, who has time to toy around with these kind of problems that seem to have become the norm. On the other hand it's quite a good thing that AH at least keeps the people informed about what's going on, because with Telkom all you have is your hope
*cough* from the article it appears to have been a MTN issue.

mcastudios

You see now you lose a full day without internet... yet you are paying for a service to be up. No compensation or free data from Afrihost to make up for it or nothing.

+1 My ADSL and Mobile internet was down at the same time. Had issues the past weekend with ADSL too. This seems unfair that we have to pay for a full month but may or may not get a full months service.

kianm

Honorary Master
+1 My ADSL and Mobile internet was down at the same time. Had issues the past weekend with ADSL too. This seems unfair that we have to pay for a full month but may or may not get a full months service.

It's a pity I think especially for mobile or capped accounts, probably the ISP would say that we billed you for Xgigs and you managed to finish your whole Xgigs within the billing period so all good. Whereas as a consumer one would feel they need to put into account the 2 or 3 days that you were completely down & get some kind of credit. How do we fix that :(

Tinuva

The Magician
You do know this is not unique to South Africa? Many ADSL routers for SMBs already support fail-over to 3G. Additionally you could also have failover to an account with a different ISP.

It really is your own fault if your business sits with no internet for a full day.

kianm

Honorary Master
You do know this is not unique to South Africa? Many ADSL routers for SMBs already support fail-over to 3G. Additionally you could also have failover to an account with a different ISP.

It really is your own fault if your business sits with no internet for a full day.

Been there know of 3g failover, moved our business to fiber, internet issues are now a thing of the past for us. I think there is a reason why Telkom offers leased lines and targets businesses with that and Adsl targeting home users. As I said if your internet connectivity is critical there are other more reliable options. Adsl is now our failover

JustAsk

Expert Member
I think Afrihost oversold their apn especially with their Zest launch.

Everyday my mobile connection worked perfectly,up until 17h00 it started to slow down and around 19h00 it's dead and disconnect.
Next day same thing,perfect...slow down...dead...for like a week.Always around the same times.To me it looks more like a man made "fault", maybe to prevent their apn from running out of data before month-end.

Piesang

Executive Member
Why do they blame MTN and Telkom? They say the problem was between MTN and Telkom. Then how on earth did my MTN APN work?