Afrihost Business Uncapped Feedback - 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostR

Executive Member
I think exchange congestion has been so deeply discussed across MyBroadband. Regardless, congestion happens at the exchange.
So let's assume your exchange is congested, and you have a router (nothing special) and your Afrihost account.

Here's how the traceroute works:

Hop 1 is your router, sitting in your house. This device is managed by you.
Hop 2 is your exchange, owned, run and maintained by Telkom.
Hop 3 is breakout traffic to MTN's IPC links. From here on out, traffic is routed, run, owned and maintained by MTN.

Hope that clears things up.
So again, exchange congestion happens at the exchange, which is not run, owned, controlled or maintained by anyone other than Telkom.
Hi, that's not what I asked you. I asked on what hop issues with this equipment would manifest

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
So what about AfriGenie statement that said this?

"Each backbone provider - IS / MTN - would have their own separate router or network infrastructure at the Exchange."

Would that show under Hop 2 then?
He's most likely referring to breakout routers to our IPC. Congestion doesn't exist here.

Hi, that's not what I asked you. I asked on what hop issues with this equipment would manifest
I'm not sure I follow? Exchange congestion happens on the exchange, which in most cases is the 2nd hop. In all cases, it's the hop before traffic breaks out to our IPC.

Dianysis

Expert Member
No load shedding in my area, but since 19:30, my speed is the best it has been in weeks - sitting at nearly 350 kB/s for p2p on 4mbps line. Coincidence considering all the load shedding happening at the moment?

kohlhtor

Expert Member
I think exchange congestion has been so deeply discussed across MyBroadband. Regardless, congestion happens at the exchange.
So let's assume your exchange is congested, and you have a router (nothing special) and your Afrihost account.

Hop 3 is breakout traffic to MTN's IPC links. From here on out, traffic is routed, run, owned and maintained by MTN.

So again, exchange congestion happens at the exchange, which is not run, owned, controlled or maintained by anyone other than Telkom.
You tell not the truth
Trace Afrihost look at the second hop
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428949037.141877.jpg
And know look at the second hop Telkom
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428949085.711331.jpg

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
No load shedding in my area, but since 19:30, my speed is the best it has been in weeks - sitting at nearly 350 kB/s for p2p on 4mbps line. Coincidence considering all the load shedding happening at the moment?
Loadshedding isn't causing a significant amount of traffic drop to justify any real drops in our IPC usage :)

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
You tell not the truth
View attachment 207390
View attachment 207392
I see you're posting in the Capped thread too, let's keep the conversation here as to not duplicate any discussions.
The screengrab isn't very clear, but I'm gathering the 2nd hop is still your equipment. I'm not lying to anyone by saying it's Telkom's - simply using an example that most people will have setup.

I also go on to say, the exchange is the hop before traffic breaks out to MTN. So in your case, the first two hops are local - followed by the exchange.

Dianysis

Expert Member
Loadshedding isn't causing a significant amount of traffic drop to justify any real drops in our IPC usage :)
Are you guys busy with updates on the system then? Or ( hopefully not), am I most probably lucky tonight that not many people in my area are downloading the interwebs?

Who is the monkey that played with the wires at the exchange?

Still no connection!!!
I too had no connection for the last hour... I also could not access my router for the last 20 minutes. Upon further investigation, I discovered my PACE router has returned to factory settings and the usual Telkom 10.0.0.2 IP address.

Now... I want to know WTF is going on here... earlier today, the same happened at my Dad's office with his PACE router. When it happened earlier, I thought oh well, something strange here. I chalked that up to crappy power in Montague Gardens, restored to backup settings, and all was well again. Now, the same at my house in Sunningdale???? This is more than coincidence.

Does Telkom have have the ability to push ACS-type services and functions to these routers, and if so, WTF gives them the right to mess with my configuration and dictate what setting I should be using????

Damn it!!!! If it's not AH/MTN messing with equipment and settings, then it's some half-wit idiot Telkom Tech at the exchange causing - THIS CRAP HAS TOP STOP NOW! I have spent more time on this forum since being with AH (2 years) then in ALL the previous years (and 3 separate locations) of ADSL usage. It's high time companies employed people who actually have a clue, and not people who are there to collect a paycheck!

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
Are you guys busy with updates on the system then? Or ( hopefully not), am I most probably lucky tonight that not many people in my area are downloading the interwebs?
I know we've been running lots of changes, I'm not aware of anything specific tonight though.
Glad to hear things are looking better though :D Always nice to hear!

Dianysis

Expert Member
I know we've been running lots of changes, I'm not aware of anything specific tonight though.
Glad to hear things are looking better though :D Always nice to hear!
Well, whatever it is, here is to hoping it bloody well stays this way, or improves even more.

Nonsense!
Hop 2 is clearly MTN's ESR... the IP indicates that... this is MTN's equipment provisioned by Telkom, which MTN have FULL access to. This is the equivalent of having your own server in a Data Center - let's not muddy the waters here over and over again. The IP and name of this device is clear on EVERY single tracert we have provided time and time again.

...what is the excuse when it is only the 3rd hop (IPC) that has high latency????? That indicates to ALL of us that it is AH/MTN's network that is congested, yet there is always another BS story for that.

I'm sorry, but I am just really tired of hearing the same crap excuses being spewed out over and over again, without any ETA on fault resolution

THE END

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
Nonsense!
Hop 2 is clearly MTN's ESR... the IP indicates that... this is MTN's equipment provisioned by Telkom, which MTN have FULL access to. This is the equivalent of having your own server in a Data Center - let's not muddy the waters here over and over again. The IP and name of this device is clear on EVERY single tracert we have provided time and time again.

...what is the excuse when it is only the 3rd hop (IPC) that has high latency????? That indicates to ALL of us that it is AH/MTN's network that is congested, yet there is always another BS story for that.

I'm sorry, but I am just really tired of hearing the same crap excuses being spewed out over and over again, without any ETA on fault resolution

THE END
Look dude, this really has been discussed to death. Everywhere.
We do not control anything on the exchange. Yes, an IP address reflects as an MTN one - that doesn't mean we own the equipment. MTN and Telkom will confirm this. In fact, any ISP running an IPC will confirm the exact same information.

I think it's time to put this to bed now.

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...ange-Guide?p=12775639&viewfull=1#post12775639
http://mybroadband.co.za/news/adsl/82251-how-to-test-for-adsl-exchange-congestion.html
http://mybroadband.co.za/news/adsl/95583-telkom-bluntly-lying-about-dslam-congestion-isps.html

Last edited:

ghostR

Executive Member
You tell not the truth
View attachment 207390
View attachment 207392
Afridudes,

Can you not see on the Afrihost account - latency was significantly higher on the second hop than on the Telkom account.

Which suggests the problem is on YOUR network because the problem only occurs while on YOUR accounts.

bluefire

Can I ask another question which doesnt seem to have been clearly answered. I understand that the equipment in the exchange is managed by Telkom despite being dedicated to either IS or Mtn as the case may generally be. This would imply that congestion likely happens on a service provider specific basis. i.e. if I the exchange is continually congested than the best option for me would be to change to the alternative provider as his equipment is not likely to be as congested (could possibly be worse) but at least the point is that it would be different?

I am having tracert timeouts and very shocking connectivity through AH while my Webafrica account was flying - please can you look into this? What details do you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.